Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a 26' Argosy and have stayed in State Parks in Colorado, Nebraska and Iowa without problems. I tow with an extended cab long box pickup. Don't know about NF campgrounds but would expect there are places that won't accommodate my rig.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Sometimes it is about getting to the campground, not fitting in the campground. Big Bend National Park recommends 22-foot or shorter trailers because the road to the campground is steep and has a lot of switchbacks. The Ancient Bristlecone Pine National Forest campground has no size limitations I am aware of, but I would not want to pull anything longer than 22-feet up the road from Big Pine, CA.

However, I would love to take my wife's Mini Cooper S Convertible up that road.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We pull our 25' Tradewind with a 20' long truck; sometimes we have to unhitch. For very tight parking we have a front mounted hitch; this will really let one sneak the trailer into a tight spot.

We've only had to unhook in one site (in Oregon) so far; we'll try Yosemite next fall...

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
Ok, IMHO, for 2cents worth we travel with a 34' and a crew cab with an 8' bed. The ONLY places we've been stopped are Mesa Verde, NP and Arches. That was it. Its about how comfortable you are with manuvering your rig, your ability to back and ability to handle tight places getting in and out. Once you get the hang of it...and you will...its just like riding a bike, you will have no problems at all. Just take it slow and try out your abilities in a parking lot with some buckets or cones as "trees" they move a LOT easier and dont have the "crunch" effect. Happy shopping and good luck with your choice
Rob
Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Your 25 will be OK at Mesa Verde, but you will need to unhook there
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks to all for the replies!

We have only had trouble one time with our current trailer (a 17' Casita) in Sequoia National Park, Lodgepole campground. The details said a 21' trailer would fit. The problem was it didn't mention the rocks in the way of turning to back into the site . It took us 30 minutes (seemed like hours) to get into that spot. I wondered if somehow a site's Max Length took that into account, but it seems probably not.

We've also never had to pay attention to size limits on the roads getting to places as mentioned above. I'll have to start paying attention to that

Related question: When a road says "max length of xx feet", is it referring to the trailer length or the combined trailer + tow vehicle length?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl
Thanks to all for the replies!

We have only had trouble one time with our current trailer (a 17' Casita) in Sequoia National Park, Lodgepole campground. The details said a 21' trailer would fit. The problem was it didn't mention the rocks in the way of turning to back into the site . It took us 30 minutes (seemed like hours) to get into that spot. I wondered if somehow a site's Max Length took that into account, but it seems probably not.

We've also never had to pay attention to size limits on the roads getting to places as mentioned above. I'll have to start paying attention to that

Related question: When a road says "max length of xx feet", is it referring to the trailer length or the combined trailer + tow vehicle length?
Unless otherwise posted, they generally mean the overall combined length. The Going to the Sun Road that crosses Glacier NP is limited to 21' overall as measured bumper to bumper and 8' wide to include mirrors. The good news is that the campgrounds are located at the east and west ends of the park so it is just a matter of taking a solo day trip to visit that area. In Sequoia & Kings Canyon there is a section of the Generals Highway posted for 22'. The Garden of the Gods is a highly visited city park (day use only) in Colorado Springs. There are several parking areas, but few can accommodate anything larger than a car and the others are posted as reserved for the big tour busses. One of the entrances coming in from Manitou Springs has a pinch point between two large rocks with a 90° turn after you pass through that is tight for a full size SUV or pickup and absolutely out of the question for anything longer or wider. These things are all posted at a point where it is possible to turn around or go a different way, but someone inevitably is distracted and misses the sign.

All of the national parks in the US and Canada post their info on the Internet and as best I can tell the same is true for provincial and state parks so most can easily check before leaving home.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Camp National/State Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Hi All, I was reading some older posts, and there were several that said folks had chosen a 25FB (rather than a 27FB) because some State Parks had a 25' limit. That confuses me because the 25FB is actually over 25', at 25' 11" (for a 2012). Does the 25FB fall outside State (or National) Park restrictions of 25' or less? Have folks had trouble finding places in State (or National) Parks for their 25FB?
Thanks in advance, Jeff
When reading these brocheres and pamplets remember they was printed back at the dawn of time, LOL. I mean they are old and not updated, I have stayed at many National & state Parks here in the east and have yet had them pull the size limit thing on me except for if they are limited on spaces big enough for my unit.
Most of the Nat & State pks was built with the smaller spaces originally and have been enlarging or adding the larger spaces as they can.
The National Park service passed a rule that all National parks are to be upgrade 1/2 their sites to accomodate the larger campers up to a min of 40 foot, max 55 foot and where available to just add the sites instead of enlarge because of the change over to 30 & 50 amp service, as money is available. The only exception to this rule is the National forrests in mountainous terrain where it is not feasable.
I have a friend whose company is contracted to do the length/additions to state parks.
I would say that in the near future you will see many of these small spaces (less than 28 ft) be gone. I know of 4 state parks I use that have already done or have begun the process.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Two examples where size matters

I also worry somewhat about longer trailers. We don't have an AS yet; our experience is with a 13 foot Scamp. I'm attaching pictures of two places we camped at last year.

The first is Aspenglen campground in Rocky Mtn NP. This is a fairly old campground, with some tent-only sites, and RV sites that vary widely in size and configuration. The ReserveAmerica web site lists site lengths from 15 to 30 feet. The spot pictured below is one of the 15-foot sites. You can see that it has room for a small trailer and a tow vehicle. I'd guess a 20 foot unit would actually fit in this spot. But with a 25, you'd have to hang the rear end over the retaining wall at the end of the pavement--no way to use the stabilizer jacks (if you had an Eddie Bauer, maybe you could bungee jump), and even then, you might encroach on the road.

The longest site in Aspenglen is listed as 30 feet. I paced it off as 55 feet, so a 30 foot AS and a big truck would be fine. I think the sizes at Aspenglen mostly allow for a tow vehicle in addition to the quoted length.

The second picture is from Mueller State Park in Colorado. ReserveAmerica says Mueller has 26 site sites <30 feet, 38 sites < 40 feet, and 26 >40 feet. The site shown is listed as <30. You can see that the Scamp and the minivan fit comfortably, but with even a 19 foot unit, you could not have your tow vehicle at the site. In this case, the area at the back of the pavement is raised up, so you can't hang the back of the trailer beyond the paved area.

That said, we're pretty well set on getting a 25 foot AS, because we want to do long (multi-month trips), which we think calls for more space and amenities than the Scamp has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pricesg_20110619_7124-blurred.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	151095   Click image for larger version

Name:	pricesg_20110810_7880-blurred.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	151096  

Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have 25'. As far as CA state parks go, I've not had any problems with state parks sites/access which claimed to accommodate a 25 foot plus trailer.

The issue for me is mountainous, old National Forest campgrounds designed before the modern RV. Specifically some eastern Sierra, or southern CA mountain campgrounds have shockingly narrow access roads, sharp bends, overgrowth of brush and trees, strategically placed rocks/logs, and small unlevel campsites. At the minimum for these I'd recommend a good campground guide, and better yet unhitch and drive the campground before pulling you're shiny beauty thru it. You may save yourself some scuffs and scrapes. An example of this is Table Mountain Campground which has a few nice big spots for larger rigs, and some very tight loops where I was brushing my Camry against vegetation just driving thru to look.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard SS....

LOVE our 25'.... fit's fine!!!

Good luck in your Streamdevor

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piseco_lake_camping_july_2008_031.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	151100  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have limited experience but I have stayed in different state parks in FL and found them accommodating; however, one last summer had a narrow drive to the sites with shrubs narrowing the mouth of the spot I was to back in. While the site was long enough, the maneuverability to back in was challenging.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Is the 25FB too long for some State Parks?

We've camped in campgrounds in many different state parks across the US in our 27FB. We've experienced two tight situations but never had to leave a state park campground due to inability to fit into a site. We prefer staying at state parks.

There are national park campgrounds where size of site has been a major issue.

As far as private campgrounds, which we use infrequently, we've never had a problem with our size.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The hardest spaces we've had to deal with are at private campgrounds. Some try to cram as much as possible into limited space and have narrow driveways. Some have only 5 feet between trailers. Some have water spigots or invisible rocks at the end of driveways so you can hit them on the way in or out of a site. There can be low hanging branches and electrical pedestals in the way.

Public campgrounds can be challenges too, but usually not like private campgrounds. Most public ones are shorter than private and I almost always have to unhitch the truck and park it across the mouth of the site. Public campgrounds have few pull thrus. Pull thrus are easier for a trailer and we look for them and sometimes find a good one set into the trees. Other times in parks they are just a wide space along the access road and offer no privacy.

Yosemite was about the worst public campground with a narrow access road making it very difficult to back in. We had a tent on one side and a Microbus on the other—everyone is crammed in, tents, RV's and odd hybrids. I remember some other public campgrounds with narrow roads making backing difficult, but the site itself was fine. Could have something to do with my backing skills too.

Gene