Old 09-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #57
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The RV Park aspect has been the biggest eye-opener. Even though I have not camped anywhere yet, everytime I pass an RV park I'll drop in and check it out.

Some are "creepy" (see my posting about same). The upswing from that particular thread is the fact the park I was thinking about has new management and the long-time residents and overnighters are very happy about the change.

But I think the reputation of RV parks is changing for the better, especially in my home province. I think this is a reflection in the demographics. Baby boomers are retiring and getting into the RV thing. They expect more. Many new RV parks have sprung up which are catering to that demand. Every new RV park I have checked out here has planted cedar hedging between the pads for better privacy. They all have full-site ammenities (wifi, cable etc.) I haven't met a baby boomer yet who would leave home without their computer.

They also have great community facilities - pools, exercise rooms, recreation/meeting rooms, liquor/grocery store etc.

Boondocking is great with company. But if you are generally a solo streamer and female, I think RV parks can offer more in regards to safety and security.

I plan to do some boondocking too, but most of my nights will be spent in an RV park.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Let's hope that the trend Fly at Night has observed in her area catches on!! I gotta tell ya, with the exception of a few new "luxury" resorts (usually restricted to class-A's), I've been seeing the opposite: RV parks charging as much as possible, while putting as LITTLE as possible into infrastructure, etc. One has to wonder just how LOW some of them will go.....(maybe if we all just drive in, look around, then drive out, they'll get the idea)?

fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #59
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
fmrcapt, here's one of the newest.

Checked it out last winter while it was still under construction. As you can see the sites are large and well treed for privacy. I think this one is the best of both worlds. Has the wilderness feeling of boondocking with all the ammenities. The just-constructed clubhouse has an indoor/outdoor pool, meeting rooms, grocery, fireside conversation pit, etc.

Here is the webpage with more recent photos.
Holiday Trails Resorts - Sunshine Valley Gallery

I would like to have an Airstream rally there someday. It is only a two-hour drive away from Vancouver. Anyone interested? Let's get the ball rolling for Sunshine Valley.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Moveable Point of Departure

I'm not RVing yet, but my thinking is to parking in an RV facility, and use the truck to visit sights I'd always wanted to see, say within the day's drive. Once all of that is done, secure the dishes and stop somewhere else for more sight seeing.

Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote