Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
It's an adventure. We love to boondock. We love to have power, water, sewer, jacuzzi spas, swimming pools, paved sites, nice landscaping. We love getting into a rural state sites with large open areas and things you don't see anywhere else. We stayed in or close to 8 National Parks this year, loved everyone of them. We like staying at a WalMart buying a roasted chicken and Artisan bread a little wine and eating in the parking lot watching everyone else go about their business. We like staying in nice RV Parks and have met wonderful people there from all over the world and the USA. Maybe you like solitude or have a little hermit in you. Thats fine and sometimes we want that too. But we like to meet peope and hear about their version of life, maybe learn something new or about a place we haven't traveled before. It's an adventure that little silver tube just kind of pulls you into
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
[QUOTE=THEPILL;827816]Why on earth would anyone stay in a RV park? All bunched up next to each other. No Privacy. I understand an overnighter to get to a destination or a Rally,<well not even a Rally> but my gosh most that I have seen are just an open lot. Not something I'd be into. Are there people who actually leave their home and load up stay at these places? I have stayed at NAt'L parks and State Parks even a city owned Park<looks more like a state park> and just can't fathom Rv parks being a getaway.

Opinions, or is it just me? Or I haven't seen the "good ones, yet.

Don't beat me up, Still a newbie.

Shane[/QUOTE]

Shane, you can make the drive up the road to Grapevine and see The Vineyard. That's a nice example of a park. And, if you fulltime in Texas (as we did for seven months) I'd imagine you'll want A/C May-November. Preferably, you'll be in a place that cools off in the evening (as DFW has not done since about 1980; too much sprawl), since that is a quite pleasant time to meet and enjoy other people who are equally pleased to be out on the road . . . some for pleasure, and some for business.

A private park is generally the best place to make repairs, do major cleaning (trailer, person, tow vehicle), perform maintenance or have it performed, acquire/toss supplies, tools, etc. It's also nice to get away from the trailer. Or, for someone to fly in and visit you. Etcetera. Not all RV'ng has anything to do with nature . . as there are plenty of diversions in cities where the trailer, and a friendly park, beat hotels for sightseeing and TV-only trips. One can usually arrange for reduced rates on extended stays. At which point the security of the TT is peace-of-mind.

And, Shane, should you continue to full-time in winter in Texas, I promise you'll want delivery of propane. Electric heaters have their place, but the furnace is your best friend and hot showers a close second. When it's quite hot or cold (worse: windy, rainy and cold) an RV park is your port in a storm.

I can about promise we'll all see you skedaddle out of a state park with no hookups to an RV park after a blue norther whips in . . . .

They're energy-hungry little beasties. And the "adventure" of weather has a whole other meaning in extended travel . . . . better, IMO, to think of them as two-season (when a Texan), as neither summer nor winter offer respite from uncomfortable temperatures. I recommend a back-up private park selection when traveling. In short, however well prepared you, the TT and the TV may be, always have a back door. You might change your mind . . . or have it "changed" for you.

The experience of private RV parks will allow better selections over time. I agree that many to be seen from roadways appear unappealing. But, there are thousands and thousands of them from which to choose. (And some good threads here, specifically and generally).

(There . . feel "better" now you've had your tail twisted?)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
It's you, newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Why on earth would anyone stay in a RV park? All bunched up next to each other. No Privacy. I understand an overnighter to get to a destination or a Rally,<well not even a Rally> but my gosh most that I have seen are just an open lot. Not something I'd be into. Are there people who actually leave their home and load up stay at these places? I have stayed at NAt'L parks and State Parks even a city owned Park<looks more like a state park> and just can't fathom Rv parks being a getaway.

Opinions, or is it just me? Or I haven't seen the "good ones, yet.

Don't beat me up, Still a newbie.

Shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
It's just a matter or preference. Lucy prefers RV parks. Most of our 600 nights in Lucy have been spent in various RV parks throughout the country We like the comforts of home. We like having five point hook-ups. That's why we have an Airstream in the first place. We really appreciate all of the RVers who stay in the woods or along side of the road because that leaves a spot for us in the RV park.. To each their own.

Brian
Hi, like Brian, we like full hook-ups. We bought our trailer partly so we can go places and do what we want without dealing with Hotels or Motels. It's our house on wheels and we have our very own bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and livingroom. For all of this to work properly we need full hook-ups. The campground is mostly a place to spend the night, or several nights, as a base camp while we drive the Lincoln to all of the attractions in the area. I could have bought an empty cargo trailer and put a bed in it, but we wanted to live in comfortable trailer; Some times it feels nicer than our home.

(1.) This picture was taken at Pismo Beach. A walking distance from the ocean.

(2.) Forgive me for not remembering where this was at, but like the rest it was a full hook-up campground. And according to the date it was a stop off place on the way to picture #3.

(3.) This was taken at the Great Tetons and was our base camp for this area. A few days later we moved to Yellowstone.

(4.) A bit late in the season, this last picture was taken at a campground in Custer South Dakota; They have 120 spaces and we were the only one there. From this base camp, we went to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, The Bad Lands, and the famous Wall Drug Store. [a few other places while there too]

And yes we have stayed at few places that were like very nice parking lots for the same purposes as these places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359 (Large).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	98715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464 (Large).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	98716  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476 (Large).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	98717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139 (Large).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	98718  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We've stayed in some really nice RV parks, and we've stayed in some really crappy state parks. Both were atypical of their type, but you can find them if you're not careful.
We've also stayed at some really nice state and county parks, and some not so nice RV parks. A weekend at the Red Coconut RV park in Fort Myers was a nice beachfront locale that was spoiled by being parked at "Grey Poupon" distance from our neighbors. We couldn't even extend our awning all the way out, it would have hit the trailer next to us.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Trite saying interlude....

A bad day camping is better than a good day at work.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #46
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Thanks for all of the posts. Over 15,000 miles and not a RV park scheduled yet.....LOL

No need for them. Just like to get out of the Messoplex and get close to nature.

To each his own,,,and as someone said on a previous post "Variety is the spice of life"

Stream Safe,
SHane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #47
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Thanks for all of the posts. Over 15,000 miles and not a RV park scheduled yet.....LOL

No need for them. Just like to get out of the Messoplex and get close to nature.

To each his own,,,and as someone said on a previous post "Variety is the spice of life"

Stream Safe,
SHane
Some of us would love to stay in state/national parks, but "can't" because of:
1. 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and no grey tank (try it out sometime, it's fun).
2. Still working and requires internet access at all times (we have 3 mifi's on all national mobile providers to cover it), and has found that although a lot of the parks might have mobile phone service, they don't necessarily have data service.

We are very envious of those of you who have the choice!!!! (I suppose we *could* win the lottery so that I didn't have to work, or we could off the kids or dogs, or buy a new A/S)...

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #48
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Some of us would love to stay in state/national parks, but "can't" because of:
1. 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and no grey tank (try it out sometime, it's fun).
2. Still working and requires internet access at all times (we have 3 mifi's on all national mobile providers to cover it), and has found that although a lot of the parks might have mobile phone service, they don't necessarily have data service.

We are very envious of those of you who have the choice!!!! (I suppose we *could* win the lottery so that I didn't have to work, or we could off the kids or dogs, or buy a new A/S)...

So kids and dogs aren't allowed in state parks? If not then I'm in trouble.

Almost every state park I have stayed in has had showers and a bathroom? I don't get that one either?????

I am 43 yrs old and still work. When I don't have service, which I run my own business, it's called the weekend or a vacation...You don't get those?

Lotto,....Yup, we can agree on that. I'd love to win that also.

Poor you.

Oh btw,...My "NEW" Airstream is FAR from being mine. I'm paying the Bank monthly and in a lot of years from now they will let me have it!

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #49
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
So kids and dogs aren't allowed in state parks? If not then I'm in trouble.

Almost every state park I have stayed in has had showers and a bathroom? I don't get that on either?????

I am 43 yrs old and still work. When I don't have service, which I run my own business, it's called the weekend or a vacation...You don't get those?

Lotto,....Yup, we can agree on that. I'd love to win that also.

Shane
I think the difference is that we're full-timing right now (as Texas is just too freaking hot for me anymore), so I'm working, in the trailer, during the week. We've found that in the south (where a lot of the parks actually do have a lot of hookups) it wasn't a problem, but as we headed up north through the Dakotas, Montana and across to the Pacific, you were lucky to find any hookups outside of electric only. Your 2010 has a lot of tank capacity, our '71 dosen't .

The offing the kids/dogs part wasn't because they're not allowed, but because they use a lot of water! They (at least the dogs anyway) require A/C depending on the temps.

No one's right or wrong, but we are certainly in the middle and in a different boat than most people.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #50
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Shawn, I'd love to full time. It's my dream. Just can't.. No way for income. Some people don't realize how good they have it.

Just say'n
SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Every year we go to our favorite RV park , Fort Wilderness at Walt Disney World , on the way this year we stopped at a campground in Saint Augustine , sites were tight , from the pool you had a wonderful view of a drug store . I guess it was ok for a night , but could have saved a few bucks and stayed at WalMart .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #52
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Shawn, I'd love to full time. It's my dream. Just can't.. No way for income. Some people don't realize how good they have it.

Just say'n
SHane
Oh, we do -- it has it good days and it's bad days. We're in California right now, and I "work" in NYC -- so getting up at 6:00am to do something seems great -- until you realize that I have to set the alarm for 2:30!!!! Also, it's taken a lot of getting used to, of which we are still working on and adjusting to -- I will say that it would be a lot easier to do if we were just a couple of old farts -- but we're not (which is actually why we chose to do it now, rather than later).

Old 09-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #53
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Shawn, I looked at your Blog! And well it's amazing. You have seen things so far that I can only dream of. Amazing pictures and what an amazing life you have.

Keep on "WORKING" ....your doing fine.

P.s., Let me know how to do what you are doing and I'll join you,
Stream safe.
Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #54
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Every year we go to our favorite RV park , Fort Wilderness at Walt Disney World , on the way this year we stopped at a campground in Saint Augustine , sites were tight , from the pool you had a wonderful view of a drug store . I guess it was ok for a night , but could have saved a few bucks and stayed at WalMart .
Not to hijack the thread....but:

Kipper, you know we're (my wife and I) hosting a rally at Ft. Wilderness next November....you should come. You have to be a member of TAC (i.e. The Airstreamer's Club) but it's free and you don't "really" have to do anything. I think we're up to something like 35 trailers and 90 something people.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #55
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Shawn, I looked at your Blog! And well it's amazing. You have seen things so far that I can only dream of. Amazing pictures and what an amazing life you have.

Keep on "WORKING" ....your doing fine.

P.s., Let me know how to do what you are doing and I'll join you,
Stream safe.
Shane
You know, it was hell but simple:
1. Sell your house and move away from your home state (i.e. in my case Texas).
2. Take a job in NYC, and deal with a horrible 3 hour + a day commute on a train.
3. Realize that you were getting home every day after your kids were asleep, then say to hell with this and the NE (no offense to anyone who lives in the greater NYC metro area...not intending to offend) and decide to move to the last place anyone from either coast would move to...and move there, while telling your boss that you're leaving and that you'll stay on remotely and find your replacement.
4. Take a really long time finding your replacement (just joking).

This is essentially what I've done -- I've just become a contractor to the employer that I used to work for....so essentially I do have my *own* business, but I don't make my own hours -- so I'm still essentially a full time employee without all of the benefits -- except for being able to roam the country as I wish.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #56
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Well If I told my Boss that, then the company would essentially die. Because I am the Boss. LOL

My "business" cannot be internet run. It's a "in your face" type of Job. Let me put it to you this way,...You don't want to see me at your front door or business.

So, with that, I'd have to start all over with some sort of internet profession,...and at 43,,, thats not likely gonna happen.

I envy the freedom and your "guts" to have the ability to do what you have done.

Cudos.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The RV Park aspect has been the biggest eye-opener. Even though I have not camped anywhere yet, everytime I pass an RV park I'll drop in and check it out.

Some are "creepy" (see my posting about same). The upswing from that particular thread is the fact the park I was thinking about has new management and the long-time residents and overnighters are very happy about the change.

But I think the reputation of RV parks is changing for the better, especially in my home province. I think this is a reflection in the demographics. Baby boomers are retiring and getting into the RV thing. They expect more. Many new RV parks have sprung up which are catering to that demand. Every new RV park I have checked out here has planted cedar hedging between the pads for better privacy. They all have full-site ammenities (wifi, cable etc.) I haven't met a baby boomer yet who would leave home without their computer.

They also have great community facilities - pools, exercise rooms, recreation/meeting rooms, liquor/grocery store etc.

Boondocking is great with company. But if you are generally a solo streamer and female, I think RV parks can offer more in regards to safety and security.

I plan to do some boondocking too, but most of my nights will be spent in an RV park.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Let's hope that the trend Fly at Night has observed in her area catches on!! I gotta tell ya, with the exception of a few new "luxury" resorts (usually restricted to class-A's), I've been seeing the opposite: RV parks charging as much as possible, while putting as LITTLE as possible into infrastructure, etc. One has to wonder just how LOW some of them will go.....(maybe if we all just drive in, look around, then drive out, they'll get the idea)?
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
fmrcapt, here's one of the newest.

Checked it out last winter while it was still under construction. As you can see the sites are large and well treed for privacy. I think this one is the best of both worlds. Has the wilderness feeling of boondocking with all the ammenities. The just-constructed clubhouse has an indoor/outdoor pool, meeting rooms, grocery, fireside conversation pit, etc.

Here is the webpage with more recent photos.
Holiday Trails Resorts - Sunshine Valley Gallery

I would like to have an Airstream rally there someday. It is only a two-hour drive away from Vancouver. Anyone interested? Let's get the ball rolling for Sunshine Valley.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Moveable Point of Departure

I'm not RVing yet, but my thinking is to parking in an RV facility, and use the truck to visit sights I'd always wanted to see, say within the day's drive. Once all of that is done, secure the dishes and stop somewhere else for more sight seeing.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote