Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
While I agree with you that this type of RV park holds little appeal, I guess it depends on the mindset of the owners, and the intended use of their Airstreams. We tend to stay away from the RV/Resort type parks when traveling unless it's necessary to be near a specific location, and there's no other choice. For some, an RV park is the destination. Last year we did a lot of traveling and stayed exclusively in state and national parks. Most are significantly less expensive, better maintained, and are far more visually appealing, but you may have to venture a ways off the interstate to get there. Don't get me wrong, we like the hook ups, we just don't like being near other campers.

I worked over 30 years in a state park system which had a range of campgrounds. Some had no hook ups and spacious, quiet sites, while one had full hook ups, yet resembled a drive-in theater without the screen, to everything in between. Ironically, the least attractive one with the hook ups was, by far, the busiest in the system... solely based on the location. It was 4 miles from a busy summer resort, 250 yards from the Atlantic Ocean, and only 50 yards from an inlet which boasted some of the best fishing on the east coast, and booked up months in advance. During the park's heyday, it also had two other large adjacent campgrounds which had no hook ups, so it wasn't uncommon to have a combined population of over 2,000 happy campers. Not my cup of tea, but many of our visitors saved up all year to experience this phenomena for two weeks.

That being said, our next trip is to Washington, DC, and we'll be spending a couple of days at a National Park campground (Greenbelt), just off the Capital Beltway. We love it there, especially in the off season - $16 a night. Then, in order to be with some friends from our club unit (WDCU) we'll spend a few days at Cherry Hill Campground, which is also just off the Beltway. It's one of the most well kept and managed commercial campgrounds we've experienced. During the height of the season they have two swimming pools, hot tubs, sauna, gym, restaurants, one of the best camping supply stores I've seen, outdoor theaters, etc. I guess we can tolerate the high prices,amenities, and hoards of tourists - $58 a night, to party with the gang.

Those two campgrounds are about the closest you'll get to Washington, DC. I guess it all depends on where you need to be.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Shop Teacher

2006 25' Safari FB SE
tigard , Oregon
like 'em all

We love any place to camp depending on the situation.

Boondocking on a college campus for a tailgater is fun. (a blast)

State Parks are a bargain

RV parks give you great ammenities

In the woods is peaceful

Have fun, have good friends to camp with, when you want. and, Stay thirsty my friend!

Mike

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Just make sure that wherever you go, you have your happy hour ingredients with you. May not be able to get them at a nat'l, state park or rv park.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Why on earth would anyone stay in a RV park? All bunched up next to each other. No Privacy. I understand an overnighter to get to a destination or a Rally,<well not even a Rally> but my gosh most that I have seen are just an open lot. Not something I'd be into. Are there people who actually leave their home and load up stay at these places? I have stayed at NAt'L parks and State Parks even a city owned Park<looks more like a state park> and just can't fathom Rv parks being a getaway.

Opinions, or is it just me? Or I haven't seen the "good ones, yet.

Don't beat me up, Still a newbie.

Shane

Shane, be happy that everyone is not in your favorite state park every weekend. Think of what a mess that would be. Talk about wall to wall RV's. I'm glad everyone does their own thing. Sometimes it's impossible to get into state parks now. Please don't convert anybody.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Shane, be happy that everyone is not in your favorite state park every weekend. Think of what a mess that would be. Talk about wall to wall RV's. I'm glad everyone does their own thing. Sometimes it's impossible to get into state parks now. Please don't convert anybody.
Wall to Wall RV's, BLAH!!!!

But wall to wall airstreams.....Now your talking!!

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's the view from where I sat in Henri (our TT) in an RV park we stayed at for a week last November...

And here are a couple of Henri enjoying the beach and warm weather...

Here are Flora and Fauna, our trailer pets.

Taken in Navarre, FL on The Emerald Coast.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Here's the view from where I sat in Henri (our TT) in an RV park we stayed at for a week last November...

And here are a couple of Henri enjoying the beach and warm weather...

Here are Flora and Fauna, our trailer pets.

Taken in Navarre, FL on The Emerald Coast.
Looks good to me. Too bad it is do far.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
We had a wonderful experience at La Hacienda RV Resort in Austin, TX, last week. We pulled in and the other campers adopted us. There was a bonfire and camaraderie like I haven't seen since I was a Boy Scout. We were a little misty-eyed by how we were received, and we were the only Airstreamers. I can't wait to get to our great national parks (off season), but what a time we had at our first RV park! Best wishes, John
Old 03-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #23
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I use the trailer for a variety of experiences. I enjoy wilderness camping, in national forest campgrounds and desert boondocking. I also enjoy visiting city and suburban areas such as Las Vegas and Santa Cruz. The RV parks were a good home base for exploration. I've spent many nights in RV parks enroute. I like the convenience of not disconnecting trailer for an overnight stay, the hookups, and easy access.

Check out RV park reviews (rvparkreviews.com) and see if any of them may interest you.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Shane: go look at some of the resort parks. I belong to a Coast to Coast. They have some good aminities. Also look at the AS resorts.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
We have stayed in them all COE, city, national & state and private RV parks.

Each has its strong points when the grandkids are with us a swimming pool is desired and when staying more than 2 days we prefer full hook ups.

When you start staying somewhere weeks or months at a time sewer connection becomes more than a convenience. The blue tote can get old real quick.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Why on earth would anyone want to live in Texas? Or California, Florida, or even Arizona for that matter?

Why would anyone want to camp in a Walmart parking lot? Or spend nights sleeping in a trailer at a rest stop along the interstate?

The world would be a lot smaller and a heck of a lot more crowded if eveyone wanted to stay at the same place and do the same things. Just wait until everyone in China begins RVing.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We prefer the no hook up spots offered by the various government agencies and avoid private parks unless it is a rally situation. We live in a rural area and do not want to feel like we are in the city when on vacation. I guess we are pretty extreme on this as we avoid any place with resort in the name and actually belonged to passport america for 4 years and used it only once.( we are on the road several months a year)
We do appreciate the trend to all hook up parks as it means there is less competition for the spots we want. In fact the spots we use in FL have never filled, even on the week ends and that is the way we prefer it.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
have always camped.started tenting and stayed in alot of state parks.now i prefer the camping resort which usually will offer lots of amentities.the lifestyle is no cheaper than staying at a hotel,but it is a lifestyle i enjoy.with limited vaca time,i want to stay at the nicest places and the upscale resorts are usually very pleasant.its not a dress rehearsal,so make sure you live the lifestyle that makes you and your family happy.