Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Is Haulin' Air a Guy Thing?

I want to know how many women haul A ...irstreams!
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I do...but mostly with my husband. Although I have by myself several times, no problem.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Is Haulin' Air a Guy Thing?

Greetings Gwen!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

There isn't anything unusual about a woman towing an Airstream in my experience, but that is from the standpoint of a Free Wheeler. Within the Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI), there is an Intra-Club, The Free Wheelers; and all of the members are single owner's of Airstreams about 50% of whom are women. With modern towing equipment, there really isn't anything to keep ANY interested person from towing an Airstream. The one thing that I find indispensible as a Free Wheeler is my hitch view mirror for hitching my trailer solo. You can see one of these mirrors at:

The Hitch Spotter Mirror (Magnetic Mount) - - This is the unit that I use so that I can easily use it with either my '64 Overlander or the '78 Minuet.

One-Shot Trailer Hitch Viewing Mirror (Clamp-On Mounting Bracket) - - I really like this design, but it is better suited for use on just one trailer - - the people that I know who use this setup are thrilled with its operation.

Enjoy your adventures!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
nope!

There might be fewer women than men towing Airstreams and other trailers. But I would predict that women Baby Boomers who have led independent lives, or at least maybe not older-style conventional roles, will get into the groove in the future. Also, those of us (mostly women) who are accustomed to pulling loaded horse trailers all over have no trouble with the relatively simple mechanics of travel trailers.

In my case, I'm the Airstreamer. My husband comes along occasionally. My sisters are more frequent companions.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Smile nope (#2)

My wife has driven and hauled all of our Airstreams but our latest, and that's just 'cause she hasn't yet had the opportunity.

If you're not intimidated by the thought (and if you were, you wouldn't be here...) then all it takes is a little practice and the right equipment, and you're on the road.

The skills aren't difficult. It just takes a knack for 'tuning in' to your tow vehicle and trailer combo.

Welcome to the world of Airstreams! Have a ball!!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I plan to make sure my wife can handle it. Till we got married she was only driving little cars. Ended up getting myself a Full size Blazer that she promptly stole from me and never gave back (Her and the Ford were not getting along.) After she got use to the extra width she could toss that thing around with the best of them. Sold the Blazer in spring and now she's drinving a honda.

I bought a Suburban to move the Airstream and she still hasn't driven it. I don't think she will have a problem with it. All the Bazer she had before was a Suburban minus two doors and 5ft. Just got to get her use to an extra 23 or so feet behind her and using the passengerside mirror.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:56 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brandi drove Bambi home from one of our weekend trips. She felt very comfortable with it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
sometimes ya win one

Sometimes being in a minority in a "man’s world" place can be fun. Today was a good example.

Scene: A slender, mild-mannered, middle-aged lady wearing wire-rim glasses, dark T-shirt and shorts and a UM tennis visor over her ponytailed graying hair walks into a national chain auto parts store. A young male clerk (late teens/early 20s) comes up to her.

Clerk: (with a somewhat condescending air) Can I help you find something, ma’am?

Me: Yes, I need a gauge.

Clerk: You mean a tire gauge?

Me: No, sorry. An auto gauge.

Clerk: What kind? Like a speedometer or something?

Me: Well, actually, it’s an exhaust gas temperature gauge.

Clerk: (looking confused and slightly nervous) Ummm. What’s it used for?

Me: (nastily sensing a fish) I have an aftermarket wastegated Banks turbo on my F-350 and the EGT isn’t giving accurate readings. So I want to replace it, but I thought I would look at a full cluster of EGT, boost and tranny temp gauges mounted in an A-pillar frame. Do you have those?

Clerk: (backing hastily away) Um, um, um. No. I think you have to get those at a dealer, if you even can.

Me: Ok. Thanks.

Clerk: No prob!

Me:
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I've always towed solo (if you don't count the dogs) as long as I've had something to tow. First it was a 12' tent trailer, then a 15' SOB, and now a 20' Globetrotter.

I've never had a problem hitching...just open the back door of the SUV. I can see the ball and line it up just right. Backing into a spot can be a challenge, but in time that works out too.
I'm planning a cross country trip from San Diego to South Padre Island, Texas this winter solo.

If I waited for friends to be able to go with me, I'd never leave town!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Our husbands are homebodys so Michelle and I bought the Airstream, restored it ourselves and can be seen towing it all over the place (the Dakota badlands in October) no it is most definately not a guy thing, we can handle anything that comes up and enjoy the challenge.

Sue and Michelle
Old 08-04-2003, 07:39 AM   #11
nds
3 Rivet Member

I'm not a female but,

...my main concern would be jack-knifing when trying to back up. A concern that anyone new to towing probably has.

Did any of you take your trailer to an empty parking lot or anything like that to practice backing up and so forth?
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
nds,

One option to consider until you get comfortable backing it up is to humbly ask for a pull thru site when making reservations or checking in. You many not get the most secluded site in the place, but you will not have the stress that backing in can create.

And yes, I did take it to a parking lot and "play" with it. The white lines made it easy.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
Last year I purchased my first travel trailer, a twenty-two foot International. My husband doesn’t like camping, and as my camping companion is my six-year-old child. I am the exclusive camper hauler! Even if my husband were to accompany us on an outing with the camper, I would still do all of the driving (it’s a self preservation issue).

I have never had any problems towing, but have had some uncomfortable experiences backing into difficult campsites (sharp angles to the road, up forty-five degree angle hills, the previously mentioned combined) or backing into a site during pitch blackness of night. To make it easier to back my truck up to the trailer in order to connect the hitch, I purchased some back-up aids, so even that chore is usually pretty uncomplicated.

Due to my work and school schedules we usually just take trips over long weekends to destinations within a five hour drive. This summer I towed the Airstream from Northeastern Pennsylvania to Disney World where we camped for ten days before we got chased home by Charlie.

In the three years that I have been RV camping (had a Pop-up for two years), I haven’t met or seen any other women who were camping unaccompanied by some type of human male companion. As a matter of fact, most people we meet while camping are incredulous that it is just me camping alone with my child. Most of the women comment that if their husbands didn’t go camping neither would they even though their children love camping. Most also tell me that their husbands do all of the driving when they haul their RVs. I have met a few men camping with their children and for some reason or another without their spouses (wives don’t like camping or they are divorced), but even this phenomenon is a rarity.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
There are 3 women that I know of in our N. Texas unit that tow. 1-100%, 1-90%, & 1 50-50. You are not as alone as you might have thought.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
I plan to make sure my wife can handle it. Till we got married she was only driving little cars. Ended up getting myself a Full size Blazer that she promptly stole from me and never gave back (Her and the Ford were not getting along.) After she got use to the extra width she could toss that thing around with the best of them. Sold the Blazer in spring and now she's drinving a honda.

I bought a Suburban to move the Airstream and she still hasn't driven it. I don't think she will have a problem with it. All the Bazer she had before was a Suburban minus two doors and 5ft. Just got to get her use to an extra 23 or so feet behind her and using the passengerside mirror.
Update:

Wife (ChiliPepper) has stolen Suburban. Actually it was a trade once she got use to it. Me driving the honda saes us $250+ a month in fuel. She addmitted to liking it tonight. I think the 454 and her lead foot has something to do with that.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Loner

I too tow as a loner. Never had towed anything in my life until this past March when I attended my first rally.

Practiced in a big empty lot and learned I could do it without trouble. Just had to sit there and figure out which way to turn the durn steering wheel to get the rear end of Mariposa to go the direction she was suppose to go.

It is funny when I pull into a camping site and crawl out of my Burb and start setting up. I can feel eyes on me and when I finish and sit and enjoy my first drink people began to show up and ask if I am by myself. I want to say no, my husband is tied and gagged inside the Airstream, I only let him out in the evenings for his evening walk. lol

Women over and over make the statement that they could never do what I am doing. My reply is I have no choice, I am too mean and onery for any man to want to travel with me. We laugh and then just talk.

I have grandchildren and am an "older" woman who should be home knitting and baking cookies. But I find this life style more to my liking and my grandchildren think it is kewl to have a gra'ma that lives in an Airstream and travels around.

A dream of 20 years has come to fruition.

TNSue

tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My wife can drive too...

but I usually do the bulk of the driving. She likes to nap until the low fuel warning light comes on . My wife is 5'-2" she can hook up and tow any rig we have. I had her learn mainly for her own peace of mind, never know when she might have to do to something happening to me. She can tow our popup which is a bigger pain to tow than the AS. She also can drive our 5 over 4 dump truck if she has too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Well, if I ever get a <insert bad word here> tow vehicle, I, too, will be towing alone. Never towed a thing in my life or driven a vehicle bigger than a Ford Ranger. Should be interesting.

BTW, a woman I met at the Vespa shop turned me on to this web site: www.sistersonthefly.com Looks like a fun group! Note that all the vintage trailers are painted EXCEPT for the few airstreams
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:11 PM   #19
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I tow mine. I had a 23' when my husband and I split 7 years ago. I bought the Airstream, so I was determined to take it with me. The first time I pulled it, I had a friend's 17 yrs old daughter and a dog with me that argued about who was going to sit in the front seat. Neither one won that argument! However, we covered a 3 hr tour that included freeway, mountains and backing it in for the first time. I figured after that, no problem. I have since graduated to a 31' and find it easier to back than the smaller one! In fact, we are planning a "girls" trip this weekend to Red Top Mtn in Georgia. No hubby's allowed!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen
I want to know how many women haul A ...irstreams!
Actually, Gwen, I was wondering the converse! I'd be curious to know
how many men haul Airstreams!

In my unit, I'm accustomed to seeing mostly women towing!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote