Old 09-08-2004, 11:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally Posted by 59toaster
I plan to make sure my wife can handle it. Till we got married she was only driving little cars. Ended up getting myself a Full size Blazer that she promptly stole from me and never gave back (Her and the Ford were not getting along.) After she got use to the extra width she could toss that thing around with the best of them. Sold the Blazer in spring and now she's drinving a honda.

I bought a Suburban to move the Airstream and she still hasn't driven it. I don't think she will have a problem with it. All the Bazer she had before was a Suburban minus two doors and 5ft. Just got to get her use to an extra 23 or so feet behind her and using the passengerside mirror.

Wife (ChiliPepper) has stolen Suburban. Actually it was a trade once she got use to it. Me driving the honda saes us $250+ a month in fuel. She addmitted to liking it tonight. I think the 454 and her lead foot has something to do with that.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue

I too tow as a loner. Never had towed anything in my life until this past March when I attended my first rally.

Practiced in a big empty lot and learned I could do it without trouble. Just had to sit there and figure out which way to turn the durn steering wheel to get the rear end of Mariposa to go the direction she was suppose to go.

It is funny when I pull into a camping site and crawl out of my Burb and start setting up. I can feel eyes on me and when I finish and sit and enjoy my first drink people began to show up and ask if I am by myself. I want to say no, my husband is tied and gagged inside the Airstream, I only let him out in the evenings for his evening walk. lol

Women over and over make the statement that they could never do what I am doing. My reply is I have no choice, I am too mean and onery for any man to want to travel with me. We laugh and then just talk.

I have grandchildren and am an "older" woman who should be home knitting and baking cookies. But I find this life style more to my liking and my grandchildren think it is kewl to have a gra'ma that lives in an Airstream and travels around.

A dream of 20 years has come to fruition.

tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My wife can drive too...

but I usually do the bulk of the driving. She likes to nap until the low fuel warning light comes on . My wife is 5'-2" she can hook up and tow any rig we have. I had her learn mainly for her own peace of mind, never know when she might have to do to something happening to me. She can tow our popup which is a bigger pain to tow than the AS. She also can drive our 5 over 4 dump truck if she has too.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Well, if I ever get a <insert bad word here> tow vehicle, I, too, will be towing alone. Never towed a thing in my life or driven a vehicle bigger than a Ford Ranger. Should be interesting.

BTW, a woman I met at the Vespa shop turned me on to this web site: Looks like a fun group! Note that all the vintage trailers are painted EXCEPT for the few airstreams
Amado AZ
1975 Tradewind
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:11 PM   #19
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I tow mine. I had a 23' when my husband and I split 7 years ago. I bought the Airstream, so I was determined to take it with me. The first time I pulled it, I had a friend's 17 yrs old daughter and a dog with me that argued about who was going to sit in the front seat. Neither one won that argument! However, we covered a 3 hr tour that included freeway, mountains and backing it in for the first time. I figured after that, no problem. I have since graduated to a 31' and find it easier to back than the smaller one! In fact, we are planning a "girls" trip this weekend to Red Top Mtn in Georgia. No hubby's allowed!
Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Originally Posted by Gwen
I want to know how many women haul A ...irstreams!
Actually, Gwen, I was wondering the converse! I'd be curious to know
how many men haul Airstreams!

In my unit, I'm accustomed to seeing mostly women towing!
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Women towing

I did meet one lady in a campground with a Vintage A.S.. She was totally on her own, and she was loving it.

Roll on!!!
Would rather be camping!!!
andyfuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:25 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
I tow completely manless. I can hitch up and back up with no problem so far.My backing up experience comes from having to back in to my carport at 90 degrees from a service alley that is about 1 foot wider than the AS on each side. I actually love to pull into a campground in the evening and slide it right in with all eyes on me to see if a woman is capable. I've had numerous offers of help but I just tell them, "No thank you. I do fine by myself."

'67 Caravel/'03 Tahoe
New Orleans, LA
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
all i can say is, i hope to meet each & every one of you out there on the road someday! i'll be the blond with a bambi, and no one in the passenger seat but a black dog--and a female one at that!

summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote