Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2003, 05:00 PM   #1

Question Is anyone in austin interested in helping me get started?

I'm looking for something that does not exceed $2000 I looked at a 1960 22 foot today that is in need of some work, and I don't know that much about the plumbing which is what I am most concerned about as well as how the gas and water heater work. I plan on parking it at a site and just living in it there. Pecan grove was real nice, but no spaces. Any sugestions?
camille cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

While it is possible to buy an Airstream for $2,000, and move in and live there, it is not common. Generally, Airstreams are priced according to condition. So, a $2,000 Airstream might need $1,000, $4,000, $6,000 to make it livable. Who knows?

The three items that would most affect you are 1) severe frame rust; 2) major floor rot; and 3) inoperable appliances. If you are not going to tow it, it might be possible to have it put on a flat bed and moved to where you want it, in which case bad axles, bad brakes, even bad tires are of little concern.

But bargains have been found - members of this forum have done it. Just don't think it is easy.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Mark is correct,

You should add another four or six grand to that number if you want something that will be even somewhat inhabitable. A two thousand dollar Airstream is rare in these parts and even if you did find one I am sure it would be a basketcase.

If you just want a trailer to live in and want to get in as cheap as possible I would look at some another brand, called SOB's around here.

BTW, Pecan Grove is a cool spot!!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb persistance and work

Camille don't let em discourage you completely. I think you should look for a 31 footer though.
They are less desirable and actually cheaper in many cases. Probably because it takes a larger tow vehicle.

If you can't wait until you do your homewok and learn all you can then you will probably
be disappointed. Since you want to just make it a park model you have a few advantages in your favor as mentioned above.

Go meet some folks who can help you move one to your spot, factor that into your cost and save a little more cash each month til you finally find a unit. Be prepared to travel a certain area to view trailers. Find a mentor, haunt RV dealerships (make friends).Visit all the AIRSTREAM web sites and get aqiuainted.
Keep a notebook with info, phone numbers, email addresses, and thread id numbers of any thing you see here or elsewhere that applies to your wants. Take notes and organize the book. I suggest loose leaf form.

Or marry a guy whose got one already.

Good luck,
Sue
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:29 PM   #5

thanks for the feedback, I did see that the tires were fine, only a small amount of floor rot around the door. I'm not planing on restoring it, so something custom would be fine with me! I have some time to look around, but the facts are that I really don't make a steady income, especially in the winter. Crawled under it and didn't see much rust probably because there is aluminum covering the bottom. The owner just got it from a guy who was an electrician and thought that was all re-done and he had this pvc thing that would hook to the drain and stuff. I think it could be cool, but i'll definetley do more research. Oh yeah, the electrician installed an AC and he had also covered the whole top with some kind of black paint/tar stuff. Could this be because of leaks? any imput would be cool. My dad lived in one for 10 years,but is unable to help me too much without being here to look at it. thank's, camille
camille cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Camille,

Sue has made some very good suggestions and they are indeed the reasons why I purchased my 31' Airstream. I payed $4000 for mine after a lot of shopping around so $2000 may be a little on the low side. Also keep in mind that it is better to spend a little more initially on a trailer in good condition than it is to save money on a fixer-upper. Those fixes can really add up in a hurry on an older A/S. And even a unit in good condition will require some fixing up to do. Also I would add an item to Mark's list if you do consider purchasing a longer model ...4) frame sag/separation. There is much written in this forum on the subject including how to detect the problem. I would still consider purchasing an Airstream with frame sag/separation in otherwise good condition, but I would offer considerably less.

Now then, I wonder if Sue married Von for his Airstream? hmmm.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I live in Austin with my 1969 Land Yacht. I would be willing to look at the trailer with you.

Mark
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote