Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 AM   #29
nds
3 Rivet Member

qqq,

I haven't seen any name calling in this thread, only some people critiquing his writing style.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:53 AM   #30
Site Team

, Minnesota
Give him a break?

OK, I'm not really impressed with his writing style either. If you read his post of 9/20/03 (written in first person) and realize what this guy is facing, maybe we can cut him some slack.
And maybe he is writing this for his grandchildren?

Old 01-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
George

I am dismayed with the comments of some of the folks on this site and enheartened by others.

George has a condition that causes conflict in his life and ostricizes him when he interacts with others. He has found a scenario that works for him as he works out his issues.

We all need friends and he has chosen to make his friends those items that perform functions for him and are not critical of his behavior. He also has found that he can relate to others through his writing and be accepted as who he really feels he is, rather than the personna that is controlled by his subconscious.

Bi-polar conditions are best treated by lithium and I hope that he has been or is being treated thus. He states that he has been under analysis and I can't believe that any psychiatrist wouldn't place George on a lithium treatment plan.

I applaud George's courage. I hope he is able to find the balance in his life he is seeking. His condition is an illness like heart disease, diverticulosis, or arthritis. There are treatments, but one must learn to live with them as they are for life.

George sees the world a little differently. As near as I can tell, what he sees is beauty and kindness in things we in our busy lives tend to pass by or ignore. George stops and smells the roses, sees the sunset, hears the ocean's roar, observes the grace of birds in flight. To a small degree I envy him his insight.

He is doing what we all are trying to do. Get through life in the best way we can and get as much out of it as we can. Remember, none of us are going to get out of it alive. How we live and relate to others is all we have.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:22 AM   #32
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Startrekker,

You said it all with the right words, Congrats!

Hart
Old 01-26-2004, 08:36 AM   #33
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: George

Quote:
Originally posted by startrekker2001
I am dismayed with the comments of some of the folks on this site and enheartened by others.

George has a condition that causes conflict in his life and ostricizes him when he interacts with others. He has found a scenario that works for him as he works out his issues.

We all need friends and he has chosen to make his friends those items that perform functions for him and are not critical of his behavior. He also has found that he can relate to others through his writing and be accepted as who he really feels he is, rather than the personna that is controlled by his subconscious.

Bi-polar conditions are best treated by lithium and I hope that he has been or is being treated thus. He states that he has been under analysis and I can't believe that any psychiatrist wouldn't place George on a lithium treatment plan.

I applaud George's courage. I hope he is able to find the balance in his life he is seeking. His condition is an illness like heart disease, diverticulosis, or arthritis. There are treatments, but one must learn to live with them as they are for life.

George sees the world a little differently. As near as I can tell, what he sees is beauty and kindness in things we in our busy lives tend to pass by or ignore. George stops and smells the roses, sees the sunset, hears the ocean's roar, observes the grace of birds in flight. To a small degree I envy him his insight.

He is doing what we all are trying to do. Get through life in the best way we can and get as much out of it as we can. Remember, none of us are going to get out of it alive. How we live and relate to others is all we have.
I read his post from 9/20/03 (below) and see no mention of a bi-polar situation. I did read in an earlier post (maybe his first) that he is a cancer survivor.

Nobody, in any way, was making fun of his condition, only voicing their opinion on his choice of writing style. If somewhere else in his journal he explains why it's necessary to write everything in the 3rd person, point it out. I think it makes reading all his posts difficult when written this way.

Saturday, September 20, 2003 :::

A reader emailed me the other day, asking "How I came to be a Vagabonder-Supreme" and what are my future plans. Being in "The Wellness Community" and the cancer support group that they provide did it all. Watching Group members battle cancer every week. Going to the funerals of those who lost their battle. That changed me. But there was one Group member, that absolutely was the catalyst for me going on my Adventure with Ms. Tioga.

That fellow was Jay Musselman. Jay was a free spirit who rode his Honda motorcycle to Group. Everybody liked or loved Jay. He had lung cancer. Several months before he died, Jay told us at Group that he wanted to take a ride on his bike to Utah with friends. Instead, Jay stayed and fought his cancer. In the end, he never took that ride and lost his battle with cancer.

A few months after Jay died, my oncologist told me that my cancer was in remission. That very day I went out and bought Ms. Tioga. My doctor asked how I was going to come in for my quarterly exams? I told him that whenever I came thru the area, I would come in.

My doctor and some friends think that I am not responsible. They think that I am running away from medical treatment. But, the insiders, those who are in Group know, that for me, being the Greatest Vagabonder In The World is an absolute necessity. I feel that being a Vagabond, keeps the spirits of those Group members who did not make it, alive.

Jay never made it to Utah. Tioga and George will one day get there for him. So now you know why Tioga and George have so much courage. We have absolutely nothing to lose.

What do I want for my future? I want to see the beauty everywhere. I want to help my friends to be boondockers in anyway that I can. I want to strive to be the very best person that I can be, and have love in heart every single day for the rest of my life.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Read "Read this first"

I am sorry if anyone took offense. George is bi-polar and knows it. I assumed that the respondants had read his opening statements and were being critical of a man trying to find his way. He intended the blog to be read by friends and relatives to keep them updated on his travels and was surprized to get responses from the world at large.

I don't know George, but I wish him well. The following is for edification:

"Uodate: 12-18-2003

Dear Friend:

I've written of my therapy openly in the Tioga & George Blog. Due entirely to writing the Blog, and the feedback that I received from readers of the Blog,I was able to turn my life around. This is a story of triumph and success.

Below I tell the story of how this happened during the best year of my life, 2003!

If you see yourself in some of my writing, that's great! My life's work now, is to be of service to my RV friends and others who cross my path. If you get some value from reading my story, than I will have achieved success in my work!

The train wreck begins:
From the time when I was very young, only in kindergarten, I believe that I had high and low periods (bi-polar disorder). I got into trouble often, nothing serious, but many times I was singled out for punishment because of my behavior during a high period. This punishment caused me great embarrassment. How I coped with that embarrassment, changed the entire course of my life!

It is now my absolute belief and understading, that my methods of coping with the trials and embarrassment of those days, is with me to this present day. How I managed to get thru those trying times as a child, remains with me now in my sub-conscious mind. When my sub-conscious mind takes over, my behavior is rarely liked by those around me.

It has been a major goal in my recent life, to attempt train myself to understand this sub-conscious behavior. I want to be conscious about everything that I do! Finally I've come to know that-

Not understanding my sub-conscious mind meant terrible relationships with almost everybody.

Sub-Conscious behavior is the real villain:
Although bipolar disorder was a terrible thing to endure as a child, it is my sub-conscious behavior that resulted from coping with bipolar disorder that caused terrible conlficts in my adult life.

My sub-conscious behvavior ruined relationships with almost everyone that I have ever known.

How it happened:
Being bipolar when I was a child, caused rejection by my playmates. My behavior was odd, and kids make fun of others who are odd. As a result, I had an overwhelming need to prove myself and strove to be accepted by my playmates. I felt not as good as others, and did anything that I could to try to gain approval.

As an adult, this need to prove myself remains and comes out to take over my behavior automatically. This behavior is sub-conscious. When I am in conversations, it is so difficult to just listen to others speak. I want to show that I am smart, clever and funny. My sense of humor is a large part of my sub-conscious behavior. I used humor as a child, in order to take the sting out of embarassing situations. Often, I was the clown, a very driven clown.

Coping with rejection:
So, it is the result of coping with being bipolar that is the main obstacle for me NOT the high and low mood swings of being bipolar. Behaving odd as a child, caused rejection. It was very difficult for me to understand the subtle difference here. Once I understood the difference, however, this understanding made a quantum leap in the quality of my life. And this change caught me flat footed!!

What Happened Next?:
It all began to turn around for me when I started to write the "The Adventures of Tioga and George" blog. I did not realize that people that I did not know would read The Blog, which was written only for family and friends to keep track of me. Emails came to me that were very complimentary. I was flattered at first, and then bewildered. Instead of people NOT liking me, just the opposite was happening. People that I did not know, offered invitations to camp in their driveways. I will tell you that I was perplexed at first. And I really did not understand what had happened. I knew something had happened however, that was for sure!

Emails began to come in from all over the United States, and even a few from Canada. Readers invited me to visit if I were in their neighborhood. I only made contact with a few of these people, and when I did, these meetings were VERY unsatisfactory for me. It was as if there were two George's, the writing George that everybody loved, and the face-to-face George that would turn out to be a real disappointment. Few liked me face-to-face! It was so confusing!

Writing the Blog was Therapy!:
Thru my writing on the Blog, I was first able to bring my own personality forward, without my subconscious habits controlling me. When people began to talk about me on the RV forum, saying what a wonderful person that I was, I was SOOOO embarrassed! I read their posts, and did not reply myself. When I read this thread, I really did not believe what I read. Posts went on and on about how much they loved me and the Blog! All that day, I kept smiling to myself just thinking about all of that praise! At that point, I had no comprehension about what had really happened. I did know that I loved it though.

A Light In The Tunnel:
Then one fine day, it dawned on me! It came as if it were a blessing from God. When I wrote, the subconscious me was controlled, I edited out the things that were buried in my mind. However, when I was face-to-face, the old me came out as strong as ever, and turned everybody off!

This was a revelation for me! In my World, I lived a lifetime of confusion. I felt that I was a good person that nobody would ever like, let alone ever love. I said to myself a thousand times, "If I am bad, I could not be THAT bad!" In truth, my sub-conscious personality WAS that bad and drove people away from me.

My personality resembled one of those punching clown toys. Hit it and it just bounces back for more. Early in my working career, a co-worked said to me, "You know something? You cannot be insulted!" I had no clue what this guy was talking about! But I remember it to this day, and that remark was made over forty years ago.

The sub-conscious mind of a child::

Imagine behaving as an adult, the same way that you did as a child. That is what my sub-conscious mind did to me. My face-to-face personality was terrible.

Here are some of my major personality traits, when I am with other people:

* Make up stories (tell fib or lie) to enhance my image.
* Compulsion to tell others about their faults.
* Do almost anything to get the attention and especially the acceptance that I craved.
* Talk too loud.
* Over talk others in a conversation (not let them get a word in edgewise).
* Be very opinionated.
* Have a comment on everything, even when I knew little about what I was speaking about.
* Be a control freak.
* Want to share everything that I did, with anybody who was around (even if they did not want to listen to me).
* Insensitive to other people's moods.

This brings me up to the present day:
Now I recognize the difference between my written personality and my face-to-face personality. My goal is to train myself to be the kind of person that I want to be, the kind of person that I am when I write. This will be a very difficult task, and I know that very well. However, now I have the understanding of what is going on. That alone, is a great comfort to me!

Thoughts about Self-Therapy:
It is so very clear now, that without writing the Blog, I would never have made the wonderful progress that I have made. The Blog was therapy, written therapy. The Blog accidentally got me to see my real personality in the writing of posters on the RV forum and in email sent to me.

Tens of thousands of dollars were spent on my therapy with a psychiatrist, and did not accomplish hardly anything. Yet my written therapy, which was a joy to do, and cost me nothing, was an astounding and phenomenal success.

I wonder now, if other people are using written self therapy to help themselves, as it helped me?

I welcome your email."
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:52 AM   #35
qqq
4 Rivet Member

NDS,

www.vagabonders-supreme.net/bipolar.htm

Hart

PS:

I still think it's interesting to travel thru his daily reports.
I found yesterday's Mexican price report amazing
Old 01-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
I don't see how someone criticizing George's writing style means they don't feel for him. I agree with those who really don't like his writing style, and I don't believe in "self therapy" for bipolar disorder.

On the other hand, I am glad for George that he feels this blog and its feedback is helping him deal with his problems. I feel for him and the years of turmoil his life seems to have been. Just because I don't like his writing style doesn't mean I don't care.

It's all about freedom of expression. Saying his writing style doesn't appeal isn't the same as saying he shouldn't be writing. It's not an attack on George to say, "I'm with those who can't stomach that drivel." That's simply a statement of writing style (and maybe content) preference.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #37
nds
3 Rivet Member

I agree, Edie.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

If I described a style as drivel, what have I done to make the world a better place?
Those who took the time to attack the site or the writing, try this -you need a priority fix.
www.do-not-zzz.com
Old 01-26-2004, 11:25 AM   #39
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregg
If I described a style as drivel, what have I done to make the world a better place?
Possibly saved someone from spending time reading drivel?

I think some are making way too much of some comments that were made about a writing style.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Satellite Internet and George

I found this old thread searching for info about satellite internet. It seems to have gotten way!! off the subject and onto George.

It's interesting to see how many people made comments about margaritas and lithium and then hid behind claiming to be only commenting on his writing style.

Well... now I have my satellite internet connection to my AS and I enjoy checking on George's boondocking lifestyle every day.

Waynon
Old 03-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Hi, Waynon
I still check in on George and the team nearly every day myself. I've learned to enjoy his perspective on things,and think others could learn from his laid back, non judgemental lifestyle.
Bob
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We all want to be loved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie
I don't see how someone criticizing George's writing style means they don't feel for him. I agree with those who really don't like his writing style, and I don't believe in "self therapy" for bipolar disorder.

On the other hand, I am glad for George that he feels this blog and its feedback is helping him deal with his problems. I feel for him and the years of turmoil his life seems to have been. Just because I don't like his writing style doesn't mean I don't care.

It's all about freedom of expression. Saying his writing style doesn't appeal isn't the same as saying he shouldn't be writing. It's not an attack on George to say, "I'm with those who can't stomach that drivel." That's simply a statement of writing style (and maybe content) preference.
George is no Thoreau, but he's really doing the Walden Pond exercise. I do think being alone can improve one's sanity.

We all want to be loved, but some of us have terribly inappropriate ways of asking for it. Most of us have no internal auditor that tells us how our behavior is really being received, and most of us expect (A) others should understand me as I am or (B) there wouldn't be a problem if people would just do what I tell them to. It never occurs to us to change.

I'm not a big fan of Dr. Phil, but I do like one sentence he uses repeatedly, "And... how's that working for you?" He'll follow up with, "If you've been doing this for 20 years and nothin has changed, why aren't you trying something different?" The "oh ****" look on the guest's face is priceless.

People who have been beaten as children always vow that when they grow up they'll never beat their kids... and yet under the day to day pressures of being a parent, they DO beat their kids... Simply because they have never done the work and learned what ELSE to do.

Being alone sometimes forces us to do the work, or at least realize it needs to be done. George has had that realization and even seems to have a plan to make the changes in his "face-to-face" personality. I'm not a fan of the writing style, but I do admire the grit of his character. It's easy to be happy if you are the most popular guy in any crowd. It's admirable to keep working on it when you aren't.

Paula