Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #1387
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
If I were in California, I'd be calling Lance.
__________________

__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #1388
3 Rivet Member
 
1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
If it's a 30-footer, than it's a 30' Salon Liner that is even rarer than a 26' Romany Cruiser. The windows make it clear it's a long, probably tandem axle front kitchen model - either the Romany Cruiser or Salon Liner. I said Romany Cruiser because the ad said 25 foot, not 30 foot.

As for rat hole? That is in the eye of the beholder, but with many windows busted out, you may be pretty close.

As for posting it here, I am helping to publicize this trailer to those that might appreciate the rarity of the model - that is a plus for both the seller and potential purchaser. That's what this thread is for. Sorry if I should have removed the phone number - feel free to send a private message to the moderators to remove it.
joe, this trailer has become extremely interesting to me. i think you are right about the Salon Liner. no way that trailer is a 26 footer and pretty sure a tandem axle, so that rules out it being a Romany. but has the small front side windows indicating a front bath and front kitchen. just like this:
http://service.airstream.com/files/l...cf162d8d24.pdf

If only 10 Romany Cruisers were built, have any idea how many Salon Liners went into production?
if we can get a VIN from this guy, would that help in decoding?
__________________

__________________
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #1389
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,875
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig View Post
joe, this trailer has become extremely interesting to me. i think you are right about the Salon Liner. no way that trailer is a 26 footer and pretty sure a tandem axle, so that rules out it being a Romany. but has the small front side windows indicating a front bath and front kitchen. just like this:
http://service.airstream.com/files/l...cf162d8d24.pdf

If only 10 Romany Cruisers were built, have any idea how many Salon Liners went into production?
if we can get a VIN from this guy, would that help in decoding?
I don't know if Romany Cruisers or Salon Liners got different serial numbers, so I can't say if that would help. I do think the window configuration makes the identification correct without it.

I don't know the answer on numbers made, but I suspect that Romany Cruisers and Salon Liners were only made in Ohio. As best I can tell, Ohio made about 126 26' Cruisers (not sure if that includes Romanys), and about 41 29/30' Liners (not sure if that includes Salons). That's roughly a 3 to one ratio. So if there were about 10 Romany's made there could be 3 to 4 Salon Liners. But note that at these small quantities this ratio thing may not hold up, but I can say that I've seen photos of many more '54 29/30-footers that were not Salon Liners than that were, so I do believe that the Salon Liners were only a minority of 30-footers made. In fact, this is only the second one that I am aware of, with the other one selling on eBay just last month (copy the photos quickly if you want to compare them to the Craigslist trailer as the eBay ad may be pulled down soon):
1954 Vintage Airstream Salon Liner 13 panel Nice body - eBay (item 330504534674 end time Dec-11-10 11:54:53 PST)

Good luck if you choose to pursue it!

EDIT: The eBay Salon Liner is serial # O5035, which means it has a standard 30' Liner serial number, not a unique one.
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #1390
3 Rivet Member
 
1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post

EDIT: The eBay Salon Liner is serial # O5035, which means it has a standard 30' Liner serial number, not a unique one.
i'm not sure what you mean on your edit. did you mean, Salon Liners have standard Liner VIN numbers or that the one that sold on ebay wasnt a Salon Liner because of the VIN?
I've always wanted to restore a bigger 50's airstream. ironically, i'm glad the sellers number is still up so i can bug the guy (or help him) about his trailer . i want to have him measure the trailer and get the VIN. and to be clear, all airstream measurements are from tongue to bumper right?
__________________
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #1391
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,875
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig View Post
i'm not sure what you mean on your edit. did you mean, Salon Liners have standard Liner VIN numbers or that the one that sold on ebay wasnt a Salon Liner because of the VIN?
I've always wanted to restore a bigger 50's airstream. ironically, i'm glad the sellers number is still up so i can bug the guy (or help him) about his trailer . i want to have him measure the trailer and get the VIN. and to be clear, all airstream measurements are from tongue to bumper right?
I believe the eBay trailer to be a Salon Liner because of the window configuration, not because the seller said so. As best I can tell, in 1954 they did not put model name tags on trailers, although the practice started by about 1956 in some cases. And serial numbers were not unique for every little variation they tried back then.

So yes, I am saying that the eBay Salon Liner serial number O5035 falls within the standard Liner serial number series of O5002 to O5041 for 1954 30-footers.

Regarding Airstream lengths, yes the advertised lengths did include the tongue and rear bumper in the measurement and are then were typically rounded up to the next even foot (e.g. a trailer that measured 29' 2" long would typically be called a 30-footer).

There are exceptions where they rounded down rather than up, mostly in more recent years. There are also cases, again in recent years, where they rounded up or down a full 12 inches or slightly more (e.x. my '94 28-footer is acturally 29' 0" long and some 34-footers are actually 35' 2" long).

It shouldn't be too tough to differentiate whether the trailer is a 26' Romany Cruiser or 30' Salon Liner because of the 4 foot difference. If the seller can only get you a body length measurement, you can assume the tongue and bumper add 2 to 3 feet, tending more toward 2 feet in the early to mid 1950's and tending toward 3 feet more recently. Then compare the resultant number to 26 and 30 and it should be whichever is closest.

Or, if you can confirm it's a tandem axle, it's almost assuredly a 30-footer because I have never seen a '54 26' tandem axle Airstream. I think tandems became an option on 26-footers in 1955 (although there is one rare exception on Matthew McCongehey's '52 25' Cruiser that's a tandem, but there is doubt if it originally left the factory that way or was converted later, but still early in its life).
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #1392
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,397
Images: 27
Not an Airstream - but kinda cool

RV DODGE CAMPER 1968

RV DODGE CAMPER 1968 - $850 (SUBURBAN ESTATES)

Date: 2011-01-05, 11:40PM EST
Reply to: sale-arfhk-2146121541@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]



I HAVE A RV CAMPER AT HOLAPAW RUNS 1968 FAIR CONDITON NEEDs 2 12V BATTERIES, GAS tank, has GOOD TIRES, CUSTOM ART WORK. there is no title..

YOU MOVE CAN HELP.. WE CONSIDER TRADES. 3 MILES FROM PARKING LOT.. in suburban estates private gated i need to get you in.. we are there on weekends, will consider moving to parking lot for $$$ and then you can have it towed..

CALL ME WAYNE AT .....

I AM OUT THERE ABOUT EVERY OTHER WEEKEND IF YOU WANT TO SEE
  • Location: SUBURBAN ESTATES
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #1393
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,758
Images: 97
That's quite the paint job there on that wreck-reeee-a-shun-al vee-hic-el!

Can only imagine what the interior looks like...different strokes, for different folks, I suppose ~


Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #1394
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar

 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
I'll bet the other people in the gated suburban estates will be sorry to see it go

I particularly like the duct taped side mounted air conditioner.
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #1395
Rivet Master
 
Becky B.'s Avatar

 
1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,608
Images: 19
Somebody must have gotten burned by this guy:

Brand New 28' Airstreams

Or maybe they just have good deals there?
__________________
Becky


1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #1396
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,172
Images: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Somebody must have gotten burned by this guy:

Brand New 28' Airstreams

Or maybe they just have good deals there?
Yes, that is a strange ad. The ending ("he lies") sounds more threatening that the beginning.

I'm going with the "he got burned" idea...
__________________
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #1397
3 Rivet Member
 
sharbours's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 241
Images: 11
Blog Entries: 2
Strange...We were just at that dealership yesterday, and the only larger sizes they had were 25' & 30' units. As a matter of fact, we even asked the saleslady to show us some 28' models, and she said they didn't have any.

I agree that the poster is most likely a disgruntled customer.

I haven't purchased anything from this dealer yet, but they've always been nice to us when we come in. They even let us in to a used unit they'd just purchased but hadn't cleaned & gotten ready to show - just so we could take pictures of the front lounge area. (We're thinking of replacing our dinette, and are looking for ideas.)

Sharon
__________________
Sean & Sharon
AIR #: 27389
TAC #: OR-3
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #1398
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
Ez fixer!

umm, with salvage title...

AIRSTREAM 2010 -EZ FIXER
__________________
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #1399
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar

 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
umm, with salvage title...

AIRSTREAM 2010 -EZ FIXER
It is also on EBay

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f519...bay-73350.html

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #1400
3 Rivet Member
 
1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I believe the eBay trailer to be a Salon Liner because of the window configuration, not because the seller said so. As best I can tell, in 1954 they did not put model name tags on trailers, although the practice started by about 1956 in some cases. And serial numbers were not unique for every little variation they tried back then.

So yes, I am saying that the eBay Salon Liner serial number O5035 falls within the standard Liner serial number series of O5002 to O5041 for 1954 30-footers.

Regarding Airstream lengths, yes the advertised lengths did include the tongue and rear bumper in the measurement and are then were typically rounded up to the next even foot (e.g. a trailer that measured 29' 2" long would typically be called a 30-footer).

There are exceptions where they rounded down rather than up, mostly in more recent years. There are also cases, again in recent years, where they rounded up or down a full 12 inches or slightly more (e.x. my '94 28-footer is acturally 29' 0" long and some 34-footers are actually 35' 2" long).

It shouldn't be too tough to differentiate whether the trailer is a 26' Romany Cruiser or 30' Salon Liner because of the 4 foot difference. If the seller can only get you a body length measurement, you can assume the tongue and bumper add 2 to 3 feet, tending more toward 2 feet in the early to mid 1950's and tending toward 3 feet more recently. Then compare the resultant number to 26 and 30 and it should be whichever is closest.

Or, if you can confirm it's a tandem axle, it's almost assuredly a 30-footer because I have never seen a '54 26' tandem axle Airstream. I think tandems became an option on 26-footers in 1955 (although there is one rare exception on Matthew McCongehey's '52 25' Cruiser that's a tandem, but there is doubt if it originally left the factory that way or was converted later, but still early in its life).
joe,
thanks for your help with this. the majestic beauty is back in santa cruz. the VIN is 05032. and 30ft. tandem axle. Needs lots of metal work including belly pan. no sign of butt sag. i was surprised at how much was inside. not much missing except for twins in back and the folding table the Salon Liners came with. i was hoping these pictures would help anyone with a Salon Liner or Romany cruiser to see how the front kitchen and bath are put together. i'm not sure what i'm doing with it yet. its overwhelming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2852.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	120054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2855.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	120055  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2856.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	120056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2861.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	120057  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2857.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	120058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2859.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	120059  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2867.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	120060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2870.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	120061  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2875.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	120062  
__________________

__________________
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1950, craigslist


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yard Sale Finds Ganglin Off Topic Forum 7 09-12-2007 05:31 AM
Mystery Finds SwampBillies Doors & Locks 10 07-05-2007 08:54 AM
Interesting Finds?? toddster Our Community 4 10-23-2006 12:19 PM
Cyber finds - show and tell Janet H Off Topic Forum 6 04-01-2006 05:39 PM
Trailer guy finds MH Over59 General Motorhome Topics 11 05-24-2005 07:13 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.