Old 01-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

I claim three?

God forbid its gets stolen while in a hailstorm while driving the company car. Your nightmare!! An insurance adjusters dream come true!!

I would feel better about having 1 policy covering the trailer under ANY circumstances. One claim ... one adjuster ... one check ... one insurance company to report to the BBB and insurance comissioner when they try to mess with you.

DMC

Old 01-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Dan,

I too have one insurance for both truck & trailer, only my truck is covered for towing and only my truck will tow the trailer.

I'd get something in writing from your company's insurance company to CYA myself.

Once a year I get certified at a truckstop. I understand that that's one of the 1st places they look for fault. Plus it's nice to know how much it does weigh.

John

Old 01-24-2003, 09:56 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Insurance

Anybody have their tow vehicle and trailer insured with USAA?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
USAA

$100 Comprehensive and $500 collision on my 2003 International costs me $248 for each 6 months, but I get a healthy rebate on that at the end of the policy period.

USAA was absolutely great on claims on two previous SOB trailers. One awning destroyed by a windstorm and one 2 1/2" hailstorm. No hassle at all on about $10,000 worth of claims.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

fulltimer's insurance

John,

I have Progressive and I pay $660 per yr for fulltime insurance.

Fulltiming insurance cost twice what a standard policy goes for.

I have $1000 ded on both comp & collision. At $500 ded, the policy goes to $780 per yr.

But there is a 25% reduction in my ded per yr. In other words, if I'm accident free after the 1st yr my ded goes to $750, after 2 yrs my ded goes to $500, then after the 3rd yr to $250.

John
Old 01-26-2003, 06:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Nice Benny!

Dan,

What a great benefit!

What type of company car do they give you?

I'd make a run up to Alaska! You never know when they may go to a personal car plus mileage !

John
Old 01-26-2003, 11:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

dan, what a nice perk!
I wonder if your company or company's insurance carrier knows that you are using it for personal business and transporting of personal property across state lines for non-business related use. They may cancel your entire company's insurance for opening them up for such a huge liability. OR they may be aware of this and build into the prices they charge the rest of us for the services they offer.

But WOW what a nice perk!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well Digging up a old one.
I'm surprised at how much trouble people were having with State farm. I have SF and they didn't give me any real problems with out giving me an explantion of why. I did have a little trouble since this trailer was inherited and not actually purchaced. Since I have no BOS they insured it for $2700. That's costing me $68 a year with $100 deductable. I explained that we will be doing some restoration work and that even in the current condition it should be worth between $4,000-$5000. They said that would be no problem to cover for that value but they just need an appraisal and they would up the coverage. Can't really complain about that. They have no refference material to show them the value. I did get my agent to look at the 57 Flying cloud on E-Bay that had $10,300 bid on it.
I guess I'm the only one that had a decent experience with them.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Insuring for value...

I had State Farm for a number of years on all of my property, but one thing that I learned the hard way was that you MUST carefully read the policy when it is issued and then any AND ALL of their addendums that will follow in the mail over the course of time. I thought that I had agreed or stated value coverage, and my agent assured me that I had coverage every time that I paid my premium - - but when both of my collector cars were severly damaged in the Flood of 1993, you wouldn't believe the fight I had getting an adequate settlement on the car that was totalled; or the 11-month battle to have the one that wasn't totalled returned to pre-flood condition. My agent totally abandonned me after the flood, and it was up to me to fight the adjusters and work with the Office of the State's Insurance Commissioner when things were not proceeding as they should have.

I still have the car that wasn't totalled, but will avoid State Farm Insurance after that experience.

State Farm is probably actually no worse than most other major insurance carriers; rather it seems to be the quality of the local agent that can make a great difference. My biggest problem was trying to interpret their barrage of policy addendums that arrived at 90-day increments that in effect changed the policy such that it was stated value for such a small number of perils that the coverage was really no better than a standard policy. {Please bear in mind that my experience was nearly 10 years ago.}

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Insuring for value...

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
I had State Farm for a number of years on all of my property, but one thing that I learned the hard way was that you MUST carefully read the policy when it is issued and then any AND ALL of their addendums that will follow in the mail over the course of time. I thought that I had agreed or stated value coverage, and my agent assured me that I had coverage every time that I paid my premium - - but when both of my collector cars were severly damaged in the Flood of 1993, you wouldn't believe the fight I had getting an adequate settlement on the car that was totalled; or the 11-month battle to have the one that wasn't totalled returned to pre-flood condition. My agent totally abandonned me after the flood, and it was up to me to fight the adjusters and work with the Office of the State's Insurance Commissioner when things were not proceeding as they should have.

I still have the car that wasn't totalled, but will avoid State Farm Insurance after that experience.

State Farm is probably actually no worse than most other major insurance carriers; rather it seems to be the quality of the local agent that can make a great difference. My biggest problem was trying to interpret their barrage of policy addendums that arrived at 90-day increments that in effect changed the policy such that it was stated value for such a small number of perils that the coverage was really no better than a standard policy. {Please bear in mind that my experience was nearly 10 years ago.}

Kevin
Yeah I do have a great agent. I had a washer go crazy. Wife started a load of laundy and then went in the back room to help my oldest clean it up. I walked in the door about 30 minutes later and went squish, squish. squish as I walked across the carpet. Washer just didn't feel it was full after running water for 45 minutes. Called my agent and he was standing in my house 10 minutes later calling a company to come dry my house out.
He's been great. I have been insured with them since I started driving in the 80's. Paid some hell premiums from the typical teenage driver with heavy foot but they never canceled me.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:08 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

I had no problem with Foremost. They insured my trailer for the amount I wanted.

My autos are with USAA. What a great company!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
well i have had state farm for 25 years or more and i can assure you your coverage and satisfaction i tyed to your agent. i was in europe and get a letter of cancillation of policy no reason given and i had thirty days to appeal the decision. i expressed the letter to my agent and he wrote back to not worry he would take care of it. end of problem . i have had other problems with other agents and not liked the end result. a complaint to the home office complaining about the poor service my agent is providing and i am considering finding a new insurance co . gets you a new agent and some one to look at your complaint.
the last problem i had i got my motorhome to close to mammy in laws chain link fence.didnt hurt the fence but beat the side of the motor home up . my agent wasnt happy but 7 days later i had a check to fix it and he wanted to call my mommy in law to insure she wasnt going to file a claim. problem was my teen age son has had a few fender benders and state farm has been paying the bills. ive got one more year and he will know what insurance cost. i hope i dont get canceled . also state farm my agent insured my motor home sight unseen for the value i ask for. i had to take it to his office within thirty days, and he took pictures of the rig inside and out. i cant complain about state farm they have treated me fairly somes time after the fight.