Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Angry Battling the Ants

We got invaded by ants this past weekend. They crawled along the sewer pipe up to the trailer. Didn’t notice it until we drained and disconnected yesterday morning. They were pretty stealthy up to then, then we discovered the trail back to a big nest right next to the park’s sewer pipe, that swarmed out when we disturbed it during the disconnect and clean-up. We used Raid ant spray to get most of them in the trailer, but we are still finding a few stragglers today.

Sounds like the consensus opinion here is to spray the tires with orange oil, and the jack and stabilizers with orange oil or white grease. Then put a ring of DE around the trailer under the drip line. If I had done all that, I still would have had the invasion because they crawled up the sewer hose, so we need to add the sewer hose, water hose, electric cable, and TV cable to the list.

There has to be a better way.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great advice. I learned the hard way in Florida to spray anything that touches the ground. Fortunately, I caught my insect invasion in the early stages. I had my trailer backed up in the corner of a parking lot along a fence. The electric was plugged in, but the cord wasn't touching the ground. Apparently, a palm frond from the tree we had parked under had fallen against the rear bumper forming a bridge. A little Raid and a vacuum cleaner took care of the ants. I also found out that it sets off the propane detector.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
... a palm frond from the tree we had parked under had fallen against the rear bumper forming a bridge.
I forgot about that! I have to keep all the vegetation around my home trimmed so that nothing touches the house. If I don’t, the little buggars climb up the tree or shrub and walk across the bridge to the house. So, we need to add, “Trim any vegetation that may be touching the trailer” to the list above.

This is getting too hard.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I haven't done anything in this area. That's not to say that at one point my dance card might get punched, but so far been in good shape.

I have some 99.9% deet and one or two things of 100% deet. I suppose I could spray that on some areas out of the reach of mammals.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Bugs

I have been spraying everything including the cable,hose,sewer..If needed.Front and back of tires,Tongue jack,Stabilizer.One thing I have noticed though is that you can not keep it away from the spider webs.no matter what I do I always see a string from a bush or tree connecting to the roof.It does not happen a lot but it does everynow and then.I have already found a couple of spiders in the camper since I have had it but I keep that to myself.Brianna and Misty would go nuts if I told them what I found.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, not sure how well it would work on ants and such, but foggers seem to be a global, equal opportunity thing. When it gets nasty out, I've fogged heavily and not had many issues....outside of health from breathin' that junk in....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #21
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hey Devo,

Use caution when you spray pesticide crap on certain parts of the AS.

One time we went camping in northern Wisconson where we were met by an unbelieveable swarm of squitos. I imediately doused myself in Deep Woods OFF, only to find that the OFF melted the lenses in my eyeglassses and because I was standing near the LeVan, the spray got on the plastic tail lights, forever marking them up. Yu should also see what that stuff does to Gortex...

Jonathan