Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Insect Control In RV Camping Areas

Are there any successful techniques for controling mosquitoes in camping areas in State parks or other RV camping areas? Although my Airstream is parked on my property, I am attacked before I go inside and then the little critters quickly make it inside before I can shut the door. Outdoor sprays don't seem to be effective for a very long period. We would like to sit ouside when we are camping but the mosquitoes and other insects seem to be too plentiful for comfort.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've camped in Iowa and Minnesota recently -- yes, it is the north country's bad time of year. Subjecting our bodies to oily insect fogs can't be healthy in my opinion. The bug zapper lights draw any number of insects but not mosquitos. The only thing I've heard of that works is the new generation of traps that use a chemical attractant and propane heater to disperse the attractant and generate carbon dioxide to simulate breath that draws skeets. They're fairly expensive but they are supposed to clear a given square footage quite effectively. That's a testimonial from people I know who've used them but I don't have first hand experience. Sitting outside is going to be a challenge. An article with links is here. I've run across them in yard/garden stores and farm fleet stores. Another thread is http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ors-24620.html -- looks like cooperhawk has used one.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Bats?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Low-yield thermonuclear devices?
Seriously, have you tried a bug zapper? Has a vigh voltage grid circling a flourescent blacklight. The bugs are attracted to the light, and get fried by the electrical grid around it. Extremely effective for mosquitos.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
It's mind over matter; you don't mind & it don't matter. Or buy the attractor-CO2 'deleto' bait packets on winter close-out and toss them under your neighbors rig

I was used to the large skeeters back East & in Florida etc., but here in Minnesota there are tiny ones that one can't sense biting unless you see them - after 40 or 80 bites you will find yourself generally moving faster and faster untill literally running without knowing why.... then all of a sudden they all start itching at once. It's a pitiful sight seeing grown men begging to be scratched..

I've tried fogging and repellent but absenting oneself during their peak activity is key, the hour(s) before and after dusk is a good time to be elsewhere.

Your favorite light-colored old work shirt and a pair of light colored jeans well soaked with repellent and kept just for 'evening wear' works sometimes - but I really count on wearing a rubberized nylon windbreaker, gloves and hat (never standing still) for about the next six weeks (June) if I am out in at dusk while in season. When your ears swell to 3x their normal size it's time to go indoors and beg to be scratched by a understanding partner...
Old 05-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
large campfire. like half a pickup load of wood large!

john
Old 05-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Cutter Advanced

Florida sure gets it's share of bugs....especially now!

I work outside almoist exclusively and I have tried just about every repellant out there. I don't like DEET, even though it seems to work. Found a new repellant last year called Cutter 'Advanced'. It uses Picaridin, which is a natural repellant extensively used in Europe and does a good job on mosquitos, no-see-ums and biting flies, which we have in abundance!

It comes in a pump spray and has no smell. The only down side seems to be the length of time it lasts.........usually around an hour, but just re-apply and your good to go. IT DOES WORK!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
large campfire. like half a pickup load of wood large!
Likewise I've never had skeets on me while running a 2-cycle chain saw. They stayed away from the haze -- why didn't I? Dunno...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Great advice and Better humor.Its remarkable to see mother natur at work.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Humor?

Cutters Ultrathon 23% DEET is also bear repellent, I have a can I carry religiously - I lived in a Kia rental car in Alaska for a week of unscheduled touring, and just outside Willow I stopped at a day use area for a walk and pictures of Salmon but had to organize stuff strewn about the car. I did look out window and saw deer tracks in the clay and generally scanned the road and plotted my path to the overpass to observe the ravens and gulls I'd seen while driving...

After 20 minutes and a short nap I popped out of the car and trotted 20 foot in front and turned around to face car to fog myself where I wouldn't hurt the autos paint... out of the corner of my eye I saw movement and turned just in time to see a 8-foot brown bear ducking down behind the parking lots plow-ridge hedge at the trail head.

In effect I jogged straight at the bear - stopping nearer to bear then the car, turned my back on it, sprayed aerosol repellent, saw bear. Do not count on legs working at such moments - they turn to putty. When the bear decided the DEET was not appetizing and took off the sounds of saplings & deadwood snapping as it ran were every bit as loud as pistol shots.

Epilogue: The deer tracks I saw were actually from a bear where it had held its claws together (while running full speed) like a Vulcan salute, looking just like White-tailed deers tracks from back east. Ravens and Gulls chowing down mean carcasses left from carnivores. And the locals said oh yah; never go near woods without a Dog AND a Gun. And it takes an hour for legs to un-putty, even thinking about it now I'm getting twinges. And thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Old 05-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Bats?
Seriously. Since you are in a fixed location you can encourage bats to make their home near you/your Airstream. Bats consume huge quantities of insects everyday. Check around you should find sources/plans for bat houses which are intended to encourage our fellow mammal to make a home. If you are a fly fisherman, watch your back-cast, I have caught a bat on my back-cast, guess he thought my fly looked pretty buggy.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Avon Skin So Soft (SSS) works great! Learned that from some Special Forces types I worked with in the jungles of Honduras. I use it on my horses during fly season, too. Works there as well.
Avon finally caught on to this use and formulated a 'special' bug lotion....not nearly as effective as the original SSS.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
laurens , South Carolina
Hey gang, our problem has always been ANTS.ANTS.and ANTS. They climb up the power cord, the fresh water hose, the stabilizer jacks, the tires, and the electric jack stand. It does not matter if we are at the beach or the mountains, the ANTS always welcome us. I know that with all of your camping experience, someone has come up with a way to discourage these pesky critters. Any and all help will be appreciated and will be tried , Thanks, Pat B
brown bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
One extreme measure is to use bovine (cow) ear tags available at any Farm Coop. Use care when handling them (gloves). put one on each stabilizer, and the power cord/hose. will repel all insects.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bear
Hey gang, our problem has always been ANTS.ANTS.and ANTS. Pat B
We use a gallon container of ant killer from Home Depot or similar. It comes with an attached spray head. I spray the 4 stabilisers, the four tires, the jack post and the umbilical cord and the water hose. Any that get on board before I get to spray are dealt with by placing some poison syrup on pieces of card placed on the worktops inside the trailer. I don't recall the brand of the syrup, but it's in the hardware stores. I'm a long way from my trailer, so I can't look up the brand. We tend to get the tiny sugar ants, but fire ants don't seem attracted to our trailer, fortunately.
Nick.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
We use a gallon container of ant killer from Home Depot or similar. It comes with an attached spray head. I spray the 4 stabilisers, the four tires, the jack post and the umbilical cord and the water hose. Any that get on board before I get to spray are dealt with by placing some poison syrup on pieces of card placed on the worktops inside the trailer. I don't recall the brand of the syrup, but it's in the hardware stores. I'm a long way from my trailer, so I can't look up the brand. We tend to get the tiny sugar ants, but fire ants don't seem attracted to our trailer, fortunately.
Nick.
You say you also spray the water hose. Do you take any extra measures when rolling up your water hose to avoid contamination of the ends?

Mrs_RedSHED
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bear
Hey gang, our problem has always been ANTS.ANTS.and ANTS. They climb up the power cord, the fresh water hose, the stabilizer jacks, the tires, and the electric jack stand. It does not matter if we are at the beach or the mountains, the ANTS always welcome us. I know that with all of your camping experience, someone has come up with a way to discourage these pesky critters. Any and all help will be appreciated and will be tried , Thanks, Pat B
We heard about putting fabric softener sheets in all the closets and it really did seem to work. It also makes the unit smell better
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
We heard about putting fabric softener sheets in all the closets and it really did seem to work. It also makes the unit smell better
Hi, fabric softener sheets do work and smell good. Never spray or put poison inside and around kitchen or food; We use windex with ammonia to kill ants and other bugs.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #19
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
A see this started out with mosquitoes then went "buggy" I place pet flea collars in my access doors. I believe the cow ear tags still use diazion or something like that, nasty effictive stuff. I have problems with bees

'

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Julie is running a mist net station to catch and band birds on the bombing range lately. She found "Thermocell" units for not a lot of money. They use sheets impregnated with "pyrethrin" (spelling not sure of) and are powered by a small integral replaceable fuel cell. All for about $20.
The little unit worked so well that they all discounted it's worth while on their first outing. After switching the unit off they soon became aware of it's value as the flying vampires returned almost immediatly.
I'll get the details and post here later.... she just left for work...

Bats, while bat houses are a great idea and the little guys are actually great to have around, they do little to control skeeters. Sorry Guy.

Bats feed on larger prey. They go for moths and bigger flying insects, hence the cast catch I guess. They will consume mosquitoes but they prefer the larger insects. While we lived in Florida Julie did quite a bit of bat work. In fact we met the first time at a costume party where she came as a bat.

I've done some extended duty as a bat catcher, cause I'm good with a net. Very cool critters and you all should have some. In bat boxes, not your attic.

Oh, and I'm so tuned into them that I can smell them. We walk around the historic area of town and I can tell you each of the many buildings they're making their homes in. Pretty talented Huh?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote