Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone try those new Off thingies that looks like a outdoor light? We picked up 2 on clearance at Target before spring got sprung. Haven't had a chance to try them yet and was wondering if anyone has any exp using them.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We just got two of them too, and have not had the chance to use them. They look nice, and the idea is neat...

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #43
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I used to be "in the biz", as they say...a former pesticide applicator, with a commercial license. some musings:

bats don't affect the mosquito population much. those oft quoted numbers like "600 mosquitos per hour"...yeah, they can...but they generally don't. the numbers are a mathmatical derivation...how much food/energy they burn in an hour. x amount of protein/carbs/calories=600 skeeters. no one has ever extracted 600 mosquitos from a bat's belly. (and yeah, they DO look.).
they do tend to dart after anything that pops up on their radar...which is probably why you can catch one with a fly rod. I can stand out here in my back yard and toss small rocks into the air, and they'll dive after those, too.

buz zappers don't attract female mosquitos, which are the ones that bite. they DO attract and kill alot of bugs..many of which are predators of mosquitos.

CO2/heat generating traps...kind of the same leap of logic on those as with the bats. oh, yeah, they sure do catch lots of mosquitos. they can prove that...what they haven't been able to prove clearly is whether or not you actually get bit less with one of these running. The jury is still out on that. Its a tough study to design and implement. The thing is, there are "millions and millions and millions" of these critters out there...even if you get 90% control, which is considered excellent in any type of pest control...there's still plenty left in that 10% to make your life miserable.

The organophosphate links: great propaganda. everything in there is true, just about. What they leave out is that the toxicities that they quote are for the pure product; not the packaged or applied rates, which are heavily diluted. Nothing you can get your hands on is classified by the EPA as anything but "practically non-toxic". The actual LD50's are WAY higher (meaning, less toxic) than those articles quote.
DEET is actually more toxic than most insecticides in this family. Look at the label on that can of "OFF": its says *warning* which is a government mandated signal word, indicating a specific level of toxicity. Most organophosphates, in application rates, would have the epa signal word "caution", indicating a lower toxicity. The funny thing is that DEET is supposed to be rubbed all over your bare skin! (also dangerous to put it on small children). Its far more toxic to us...yet, it doesn't actually kill the bugs; it just annoys them. (its the feeling of it that they don't like; they have to actually touch you before they're "repelled". they land on you and go "yuck!", and fly away). the stuff that does kill them, is less toxic to us. go figure.
Anyway, the reality is, you don't have to be afraid of anything you can buy in the store, by and large. yes, it can kill you...but you'd have to fall into a vat of the stuff at the chemical plant for that to happen.
most organophosphates are going away soon, anyway...dursban and diazinon are already gone. not because of any legitimate danger, but for other business and political reasons, the manufacturers are just dropping them. New epa certification rules...money, etc. long story.

The fan:
works, because mosquitos are so small and light, they don't fly well in any kind of breeze.
same breeze disperses your CO2 emissions, and distrupts your heat signature, so they can't find you as easily.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Batman

Going back to the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
Are there any successful techniques for controling mosquitoes in camping areas in State parks or other RV camping areas? Although my Airstream is parked on my property, I am attacked before I go inside and then the little critters quickly make it inside before I can shut the door. Outdoor sprays don't seem to be effective for a very long period. We would like to sit ouside when we are camping but the mosquitoes and other insects seem to be too plentiful for comfort.
While bats may or may not have an impact on skeeters, even if they are, is anyone really suggesting installing a bat cave in an Airstream? Besides, the little mosquitoes fly away with the cattle here so the big ones won't take them away.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
'Twas I who suggested the bat houses. I was thinking about Woodedareas' home, not state parks or RV parks.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Bats are your best friends for eating up those pests..
I have a Bat house right outside my bedroom window at home..
I also burn citronella t light candles in my hanging lanterns.

here is a link about questions on citronella uses & health worries:
EPA Citronella (021901) Fact Sheet
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #47
KLK
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Wimberley , Texas
Bay Leaves repel ants.
I buy them in bulk from my grocery store - it’s very inexpensive.
I put them on my countertop when I see ants, I place them on a plate then put my dog’s food dish on the plate, the thing I’m trying to figure out now is how to get the ants out of my compost pile. It got too dry and that’s why the ants came in. I just buried some freshly cut cedar branches in the compost pile - we shall see if it works.
But for your purposes: BAY LEAVES
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
So with it raining outside I was avoiding chores by reading some old stuff and found this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, how many mules are there in the twenty mule team?
The "20 mule team" hitch was made up of eighteen mules and two horses...……..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-mule_team
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
So with it raining outside I was avoiding chores by reading some old stuff and found this.....

The "20 mule team" hitch was made up of eighteen mules and two horses...……..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-mule_team
Hi, yes, finally.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote