Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
Inland Rv Problems??

I placed an order with inland rv last friday for about $200 dollars worth of items. 3 of the parts were listed on the website, however the other 3 items were not. The women on the phone took down all my info(including credit card #) and told me she'd check on the three unlisted items and give me a call back. Well she never did. I didn't think much of because it was friday going into labor day weekend. however, since then, i've contacted them everyday this week(excluding monday) trying to check on the status of my order. I've called them at all times of the day and i always get the same response, "I'm sorry sir, i wasn't the person who took your order.. but i think i know who did. Shes in shipping right now but when she gets back i'll have her call you. " I've been nothing but polite with them. All i want is to check on the status of my order. I just called them about 25 minutes ago. The lady i talked to was the same one i talked to this morning. She answered by barking hello???? I asked to speak with a manager and she said no. I asked why not and she replied, "we're closed" and hung up. My friend has placed numerous orders with them and no problems. I don't want to burn my bridges but doesn't this sound fishey?? I probably would right it off but at this point i must be concerned because i don't know who has my Credit card #. What should I do??
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Look under members for Inland RV and send Andy a message.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cancel the order, call your credit card company and explain what's up and to refuse them payment and shop some where else!! That kind of treatment is totaly un called for.
RACRX
RACRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Last May, I drove down to Inland RV from Sacramento. I called the day before, spoke to a woman who told me to come over and I was welcome to visit their shop.
When I got there, Andy was behind the counter. Apparently all his help did not show up for one reason or another. I told him that I called the day before and drove from Sacramento...seven hour drive.
Didn't matter to him, he didn't have time to chat nor show me around. I can understand that he didn't have a staff there but it sure left a sour taste in my mouth. BTW I did have about $1200 worth of parts to buy but did I or have I bought anything from him?.......What do you think?
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I had just the opposite experience. I called and ordered a rockguard and name plate, drove up the next day and the parts were waiting for me.
I spent some time chatting with "Bear". I had hoped to meet Andy, but he was out of town that day.
I peeked through the fence at some Airstreams that were going to be worked on, and drove off a happy camper.

I think people by nature are quicker to complain than compliment, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had a good story to tell about Inland RV. I've gotten more parts from him since and nary a complaint.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

OK Folks.....

Let's not get into a "bashing contest". Have a drink, take a pill, whatever.

Andy's days are just as long as ours, 24 hrs. 60% of all AS's built are still on the road and I'll bet he see's a good chunk of them in a year.

Sorry, not everyone who owns an AS can be Andy's "best buddie", "He" still has to run a business. Ever done it yourself? Trust me, "it's a B#@ch"

As for the "rude hang-up", I would E mail Andy (as garry said) and find out who was at the end of the phone and let "them" handle the PR issues.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
Andy from Inland R.V. just contacted me to straighten the whole thing out. Apparently it was just a misunderstanding stemming from my credit card. I guess not all the numbers i gave them were copied down. He was extremely apologetic and agreed that i should have been contacted sooner. We talked for about twenty minutes and I could tell that he was very sorry. Unfortunately, as he explained, he's in a buisness with many different operating components. The problem with this(especially in his situation) is he's the only one who is qualified to run those components. When your needed in the shop to fabricate items, needed in the office to keep shipping running smoothly, and you recieve hundreds of emails and telephone calls from people like us, you can see how your time is streched thin. After talking to him, the main thing that I picked up is that he wishes he could deal with everyone one of us, one at a time, but it just can't happen like that. Andy is an Airstreamers best friend but we all must remember that there are thousands of airstreamers out there; we've just gotta be patient.
THANKS ANDY
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Hey, All
I was just thinking, there are a few good lessons in all of this for anyone who is open to a good lesson now and then. This is not directed at any single person, well maybe myself, guilty me.
How about this one. You should express no whine before it's time. Here is another, and as you can see I am already not listening to myself. There is a lot to be said for just saying nothing.
In my own dealings with Inland RV, I have been more than satisfied. I appreciate Andy's quick responses on this forum and by pressing that PM button. His knowledge, given freely is a great asset to us all. Thank You Andy.
I just thought of another one, I know I should just shut up already. One problem does not a disaster make. Most of the time anyway.
Thats it, Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Train/Teach/Pass on knownledge

Sounds like Andy needs to mentor his knownledge and get some quality help. He's been short of "another" A/S person for a couple of yrs.
Not only will Andy's business grow by having another person, but he'll reduce his own stress level and customer complaints will also be reduced!!
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 01:46 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
In our company you aren't allowed to move up until your find your replacement But it is for a good reason, if the company likes you enough to move you up, they know you will chose and train a person that will do you proud. It has worked for over 45 years. Andy appears to be like alot of small business owners, they want/think they need to do everything, and alot of cases have to. I have worked in business like that before, and unfortunately if the owner burns out or retires the business goes downhill fast or just closes up. It would be to Andy's advantage and health to find someone or several someones to train to begin relieving his work load. JMHO

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 02:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks to Brian for setting the record straight on his situation anyway.

Andy is in a business that is hard to get/keep quality help for, as I know from similiar experiences in the automotive business- so often it is easy to be a third base coach when you aren't actually there day to day. Not excusing everything negative that might have happened between him and his employees and customers, but it is good to realize that stuff happens, sometimes out of control.....

I personally have been treated very nicely and profesionally on the phone on my transactions with IRV. That speaks only for my experience however.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I personally have called Inland several times, and my experiences have run the gamut from Andy having 10-15 min. to chat with me about anything from the paint job on my coach to the weather, to him having 30 seconds (maybe) to scribble down my order. I have also spoken with the "dragon lady", ("We're closed. Call back when we are open!"). I would like to think the "we're closed" routine was the part of an answering service, I had one myself, until I happened to call my own number, and got an EXTREMELY rude person. I no longer have that answering service. That kind of help, I don't need...
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Partner

Alan- If Andy was training a younger partner, someone who could walk in his shoe's, I feel that this could help in many areas.

No sense in wasting all of that experience!!!
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up It's simple..

Recently placed an order with InLand RV..

Did my research ahead of time..
Had all the numbers down for the parts on what I needed and, called.
Got the Boss's lady..no problems, no b/o..just smooth as glass.
Since I wasn't in a big hurry, the parts came as they will..
Arrived within the normal expected time.
btw, thanks to Andy's recommandation..I order an extra item that was needed but, I didn't know about. Andy knew ahead of time and, saved us both some slight delays in process by letting me know.
I value that knowledge`!!
Thanks Andy and, to the gang at InLandRV.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
I have had a positive experience with inland recently. I dealt with Bear on the phone and she was very polite and helped me with everything I needed. Even made a couple of calls to Airstream for me to check on some other stuff. By the sounds of it they have at least a million people calling and wanting different things every day. It's no wonder they get anything done. I was very satisfied with the service and parts I received. I did not however like the shipping charge of 12 bucks for less than a couple ounces of parts but thats the way the mail order business works most of the time.

Keep up the good work Andy.

And stop and look at my Airstream if you are ever in my area.
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote