Old 08-21-2002, 02:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
This must be the same trailer as queried on the VACList this morning ~

Quote:
I received the following message from Ralph E. Shumaker and wonder if anyone can help him with his qestion. I put a picture of his trailer up on the following location: VACList Photo Attachment

Tom...

"I have a completely restored 69 Overlander for sale, the bank has asked these people for an appraisal.

Would you have any idea how I could go about it. I live in Indiana and there aren't very many Airstreamers in the area, let alone Vintage."
Looks like a legitimate "goodie" to me...

Shari

Old 08-21-2002, 02:50 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I have a Motorhome and seeing that picture made me drool!

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Wow!

That's exactly the one my friends! That's it.

We have spoken many on the phone with the owners - both husband and wife and my husband and I both feel very comfortable with these folk. The problem of course has been the Credit Union requiring an appraisal and the trailer is in an area fairly remote from an auth'd dealer.

Unfortunately we don't have credit cards with limits enough to handle an outright - but are doing lots of research on vintage values etc., etc., to show the bank we're really serious about this and willing to do what is necessary.

I must admit that hearing someone say "it made me drool" was a positive. I have a fairly good sense for people and this trailer is the one that made me stop looking elsewhere. I've had a personal love affair with airstreams all my life. This opportunity feels like a good one and worth pursuing.

By the way - thank you for sharing your stories, I really appreciated you taking the time to post.

Andrea
Old 08-22-2002, 07:15 AM   #18
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Andrea,
Lock in the deal asap, if you haven't done so already. Now that it is out in the open, Brett is not the only one drooling.
I found that once an Airstream picks you as the new caretaker, you have to move fast.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

PeterH

Sound advice Peter - thank you for it. I must agree with you because as of this morning it is. All that's left is the arrangements to go pick it up!....yowza!

I loved the way you put that - "once an Airstream picks you for its caretaker!" That is outRAGEOUSLY well put...

Andrea
Old 08-22-2002, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Congratulations!

Sooo...fill us in on the details! Did you finally get an appraisal or did your credit union let you off the hook? When do you expect to pick up your new baby? Details, details, details...we want details!

Shari
Old 08-22-2002, 11:10 AM   #21
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Andrea, I am excited for you!
This experience will be as good as your first bicycle!
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:39 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up ohh so pretty

Looks like there's a new Airstream
owner afoot. Congratulations! What will
you name the baby?
It's sure looks like a cutie in the photo
and I am thinking
This must be your luckey day!
Old 08-22-2002, 12:22 PM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Pretty Baby!

A,

You might try to get a home equity/line of credit/2nd on your home. If it's less than $10K than your CU should be able to do it rather fast. If it is over $10K then it will take longer. There is a side benefit that the interest will be deductable on your taxes.

My experience is that I did buy a 1966 Overlander site unseen. OK it was through Ebay and I did get a lot of pics. The seller told me about the repairs that he thought were needed. And he had owned it to resell it. So it was not in the best shape. I knew it. And the price was a reflection of the condition. I drove from AZ to IN to get it on a long weekend a month after I gave the deposit.

The ext pic of yours is rather nice!

Much luck and enjoyable experience.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-23-2002, 03:03 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

update...ok....

There are still a few things to handle before we leave to get the new "baby" [heh] that won't occur until Monday. Hitch installed on our tow vehicle and a few more nuts and bolts to pull together on exactly how we're going to do this...but everytime I think about this trailer there is this big "YES", yes...yes right there in my mind.

We have already picked out a name - or should I say the name picked us! Her name is "Naomi". Our van has a name to! Odd isn't how when you do alot of traveling you name your vehicles? Anyway, her name is Fiona [Fi Fi for short LOL] and when my husband started to call her name Namoi came out and we looked at eachother and he said, "what did I just say?" So we decided that was the right name for the new baby.

The whole story behind this trailer and how we arrived at getting one is quite a story! - for another post. Thing is, we are going full-time in this trailer, so finding 'just the right one' seemed like a mountain in front of us. This journey, I am convinced, contains cosmic proportions.

As a side-note I'm wondering if anyone knows precisely what the weight is on a 69 Overlander - thus far we are told it is around 3500 - 4000 dry or thereabouts. Anyone have more info on this?

At the moment, that's about all I have to report...heh. Will keep you posted on the events as they occur - up to the minute!

Andrea

Old 08-23-2002, 10:17 AM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It's always the little things.

A,

Plan on 5000 #'s of towed wieght. I did not worry too much when towing my '66 O homw from Indiana cause I already was towing a 7500 # boat and trailer.

Also be prepared for lots of things to go wrong. Bring some tools, (just some basic ones) spare light bulbs, a tire iron and jack, any electrical tools like wire cutters, crimpers, and connectors, tape. A little spare wire. Bungee cords, duct tape, wheel block (or a rock).
I guarentee if you bring those items you will not need any of them. However, just leave one at home and that is exactly what you will need. I think it's one of Murphy's laws.

I remember the trip I took with fond memories. So bring a camera too. You will want to go back and say, remember when we picked her up?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-23-2002, 10:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Action is right about taking tools and a camera. I drove from TN. to AZ. to pick up my 31' Excella. I left on a Thur. morning before daylight and made the round trip 3200 miles arriving back in TN. Sunday night. A friend was supposed to go with me but backed out at the last minute. The scenery in New Mexico and AZ. was breathtaking and I wish I had taken the camera and had the time to do the tourist thing. It was quite the adventure. Hope yours is a little more layed back.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 04:02 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Got batteries for the camer already!

Got to tell you all that this forum has been such a wonderful opportunity for us to feel some contact with other people with knowledge, information, lots of laughs and good advice.

What a help it has been to have a place to ask questions et al.

Talked to someone today that I found out about through this forum who works on vintage Airs. Nice person, very knowledgeable.

We have the camera all ready to go and plan to collect a few tools too! LOL

More news and lots of details the first of next week - for now we're just going to enjoy the weekend! - wish the same to each of you! Of course have to check the board every day heh!

Andrea
Old 08-24-2002, 07:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Lug wrench

Particularly, make sure you have a lug wrench that fits. I carry a 4-way lug wrench ever since I had a blowout in the boonies in Colorado and found that the lug wrench for the Blazer didn't fit the trailer. Fortunately, a good samaritan stopped and helped me.

I have, since that time, stopped way out in Big Bend country and found another person stranded with a spare but without a usable lug wrench.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote