Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
In case you needed convincing that your Airstream is better than a hotel

Potentially deadly antibiotic-resistant “superbugs,” including C. difficile and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, were among the disturbing findings uncovered in a CBC Marketplace test conducted in dozens of hotel rooms across the country.

In a comprehensive survey, Marketplace did a battery of tests in 54 hotel rooms across six major hotel chains, testing for bacterial contamination and other potential health hazards.

Results revealed varying levels of dirt and contamination, but every hotel contained some form of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Microbiologist Keith Warriner, who did the tests for Marketplace, singled out findings of clostridium difficile — better known as C. difficile — and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) as “alarming.”

“It was a surprise at the start, but amazing that all these hotels had superbugs,” he said. “When you get ... the antibiotic-resistant bacteria we're finding, that's not scare-mongering, that's real. These are real pathogens that can cause real illnesses.”

Read the rest: "CBC show ‘Marketplace’ raises alarm over dirty and germy hotel rooms in Canada"

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Not to mention bed bugs...

Note: If you want to kill bed bugs, just park your Airstream in the desert southwest for a day or two in the summer. Inside temperatures will hit 130+ degrees. And, it's FREE (except for parking/campground fees).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Another plus with the Airstream is the fact you are not exposing your back to a different mattress every night - even if some of them are on the hard side. Consistency is best.

My flying friend spends half his life in a hotel room and has a lot of problems with his back.

Aside from that, have you noticed how many hotel rooms have that stinky-feet smell in the carpet? Ick!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Only problem is that TSA won't let me take my AS with me as carry on luggage and the airlines charge way too much to send it as checked baggage...

I travel for a living and unfortunately hotels are a fact of life. Given my druthers I would rather sleep in my own bed every night. FWIW the only case of bed bugs I have ever gotten were from a very expensive hotel that I spent the night in due to an airline cancellation.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote