Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Unhappy I'm Scared - new purchase

Getting ready to purchase an A/S. I'm scared. Reason for my fear is: (1) not sure that I will be able to use it as much as I would like due to my illness and (2) not sure that I will be able to make my "bucket list" trip. In other words, I think I'm throwing away $$$ for this insatiable urge to own an A/S, simply to see the West, Canada and Alaska in the style that I had always wanted to see it. I'm confused...but I working my way toward that purchase in two weeks!!
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Use it as much as you are able. Even if you only take trips close to home, Airstream ownership is well worth the cost.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Follow your dreams!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up Don't Be Scairt

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
Getting ready to purchase an A/S. I'm scared. Reason for my fear is: (1) not sure that I will be able to use it as much as I would like due to my illness and (2) not sure that I will be able to make my "bucket list" trip. In other words, I think I'm throwing away $$$ for this insatiable urge to own an A/S, simply to see the West, Canada and Alaska in the style that I had always wanted to see it. I'm confused...but I working my way toward that purchase in two weeks!!
An old friend told me the only regrets that he had were the dreams he could have acted upon and didn't. The cost is only purchase price less your sale price to someone else. GO FOR IT
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Albuqueruqe , New Mexico
you only live once.
nmgt350h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I'm in Aerospace and the fear of getting layed off. I have been wanting an Airstream for a long time, finally found one and bought it. The way I look at it if I do get layed off then I have fulfilled my dream of owning one, even if it would be for a year.
Buy it and enjoy life, it is too short to not fullfill your dreams. This might be it for me but I have now enjoyed our trailer and that will satisfy me in my life time.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Purchase a lightly-used Airstream that someone else has taken the initial depreciation on. Use, maintain and enjoy it as long as you are able, then sell it to its next addict..er.. owner for most of what you paid for it. I wish you many long and happy trips.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Thumbs up

I agree, buy a 3 yr old Airstream that's been lightly used and well taken care of. As for your illness only you know your limitations bu I say do it while you can and enjoy every day of your life. Only thing to fear is fear itself. God bless and keep us posted on what you decide.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Get it.

You will have an Airstream to use.

When you no longer use it,

You will have an Airstream to sell.

Both are good things.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
I can relate to your post. I am not sure what illness you are grappling with so can't give a comment specific to your situation but I can share my own experience. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years and I love the outdoors so decided that I wanted to purchase an AS to try to enjoy the outdoors while I could. We bought a slightly used unit and I have focused on getting tools that make the job of leveling/setting up and hitching easier. The electric hitch is great and I also got a power drill to lift/lower the leveling stands. Only you can decide what your illness will permit you to do but I can share that I was scared and I have enjoyed the freedom and challenge that the AS presents me with. Sometimes there are times that I struggle with certain aspects of getting set up but I have also found that fellow RVers are more than willing to lend a hand and that gives me peace of mind when I find that I don't have the strength to do things in any particular situation. I ALWAYS have people coming up and asking if they can help me and I take them up on their offer when I can't do it myself.

There are some wonderful people in the RV world so if it is a dream and you have some disposable income, I'd suggest going for it. The resale seems to be good on these travel trailers.

Good luck with your decision!

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like it is one of the things on your "Bucket List". In the grand scheme of things, Money is only another tool to accomplish the task. Buy it! Enjoy the trip!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have chronic pain from a serious back injury, bad knees and peripheral neuropathy. Some doctors would probably say I shouldn't be doing all the maintenance on our trailer and shouldn't have remodeled two houses in the last 21 years. They'd tell me not to cut firewood with my chain saw and take care of our 37 acres. I refuse to act my age and physical condition.

I hope whatever your illness is you make the best of it and an Airstream can fit into your life.

Don't die with regrets.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
We spend our youth ignoring our health to accumulate wealth, and we eventually deplete our wealth trying to recover our health.

Your money has no meaning if it cannot provide some joy to you...

One option you may want to research: can you finance the whole thing and then purchase life insurance on the loan through your bank? Mine offers it with no physical for up to 100k for asset-backed loans. This would prevent you from spending assets you may need, and although it is more expensive than paying cash, your loan would be paid off in the event of your death.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Thumbs up "You only live once".... make sure you live your dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgt350h View Post
you only live once.
Benjisgal,
Like nmgt35oh mentioned, "You only live once" make sure you live your dream. Rent, buy or lease one so that you can fulfill your aspiration. You might live longer and even stronger than anticipated but you surely don't want to blame yourself for not taking the chance of a life time when the oportunity presented itself. Talk to Patrick at Colonia Airstream in Lakewood N.J, he might find you a used one to buy and also sell back at the end of your trip. Happy "streamin"
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Benjisgal,
Like others have said, Go For It!!! Life is too short not to have fun. Follow your dreams. If your not sure, find a KOA that rents Airstreams, at least you will enjoy the experience of camping in an Airstream.
I don't know your condition and don't want to talk you into something your not comfortable with. F450 Harley had a good idea also, or try working with an A/S dealer near you. This might be the right time of year to look for "clean one owners".

Good Luck with your decision, and hope you have fun!!!

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Go for it....short trips for even a short time are better than none at all.........
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Health

Agree totally with the advice to get a 2-3 year old used unit and do it!

No one else is going to face your illness FOR you. If you have children or parents they will certainly suffer, but it is not your job to give up every bit of whatever time you have left to comfort them. Comfort them with the knowledge that you're spending your time being completely and totally true to your own dreams.

Two years ago, my 42 year old doctor with no family history of heart disease lectured me endlessly about 20 different health problems. He was appalled to find that I was camping fulltime SOLO, changing tires on my rig, climbing up the side to reseal the seams, and doing other things that he said were too stressful. I have worked to get my triglycerides and cholesteral levels lower - but I refused to take medication to do it. My weight still is a big issue but is coming down. I'm more concerned about feeling comfortable, mobile and having energy than I am about following some soy-milk, macro-biotic, vegan, wheat grass diet.

My doctor? A year ago his wife went to wake him up one morning and found him stone cold dead of a massive heart attack.

At 62 I can guarantee any doctor that I have many fewer years in front of me than behind me. I could die tomorrow, but I will not sit in a darkened room feeling my pulse and weighing every single grape that I eat because fear is my only link to life. I'd rather stroke out than end up with some jerk doctor using heroic measures to keep my heart beating for three more weeks so the hospital can bill my insurance carrier or medicare another $80K. The plain fact is that in my family after 75 there is creeping Altzheimers. Dying young? It's a bit too late for that. Worrying about the future won't change it. So I contribute to the research and LIVE to please myself and put a few good things back into this world which has given me this much time.

I'll do what makes me happy and if it confuses or even irritates those few close friends and family I hold dear... well they'll just have to accept that I DO hear the beat of a different drummer. I can't explain the quiet satisfaction of occasionally waking up just as the earliest dawn is breaking - where the sky is deep blue velvet - and the frogs aren't yet croaking - and sit on the step of my Airstream and watch the "rosy fingered dawn" arrive.

The great anonymous "THEY" don't get it? "They" can go get judgmental with themselves. (They can also go perform a physically impossible sex act with themselves, for that matter.) I have one very close friend who has constantly nagged me about becoming "a little more normal" and giving up the Airstream. I riposted that if I were more normal I might not like HIM. Haven't heard a peep since.

We all say "if I had my life to live over" or "If I knew then what I know now, I'd do........ differently" Or "If I could only have one day to live over I would do......"
But the brutal truth is the only day you can do differently is today
.... and tomorrow - if it's granted to you.

Money really is NO OBJECT. At worst you'll cheat the hospital out of $100,000 - blow it on a year or two of Airstreaming! Borrow the money, sell the Airstream when you can't use it any more, or just let the finance company repo the unit after you're gone. Drop dead in a campground... you won't have to clean up the mess!

I see many RV'ers who have a bumper sticker that says "We're spending the kid's inheritance!" Unless your children are still in high school and really do need financial and emotional support, you should seriously consider letting them know you're leaving them memories and a decent upbringing, but that you're granting them three more precious gifts:
  1. the thrill of knowing that they can survive independently
  2. the right to make their own futures
  3. the knowledge that they didn't blow all the money you left them!
Death is the only obstacle none of us can overcome. Not living the way you want to is just giving away your life to death, one day at a time. You might have a hundred days, or a thousand days so why waste even this one? Go to the classifieds and look for that Airstream. The journey actually starts with the anticipation!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it "the present."

Paula
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Its later than you know,
go camping.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
While I agree with a lot of the comments here, I think that in your place (whatever that might be, health-wise) I would discuss those fears with my doctor and get an idea of his (her) thoughts on your physical condition versus trailer life.

Secondly, before investing in one and launching yourself into the wide, wide world in it, why not rent one (any brand, it doesn't have to be an Airstream) and take it out for a week or two. Driving with one is pretty straight forward, so you wouldn't need to go a thousand miles to see what that part of it is like.

Just get yourself far away, to someplace interesting, and try the trailer camping life out. Hitching/unhitching, setting up, dealing with the minor annoyances that will doubtless occur. Live it.

By that time you'll have a pretty good idea if it's for you or not.

And if it is, well, I'll see you down the road!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Most of my dreams have turned into nightmares. All of my obsessions have. I never wasted time, lost money, or made an enemy by not doing something.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote