Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Benjisgal,
Like others have said, Go For It!!! Life is too short not to have fun. Follow your dreams. If your not sure, find a KOA that rents Airstreams, at least you will enjoy the experience of camping in an Airstream.
I don't know your condition and don't want to talk you into something your not comfortable with. F450 Harley had a good idea also, or try working with an A/S dealer near you. This might be the right time of year to look for "clean one owners".

Good Luck with your decision, and hope you have fun!!!

Drew

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Go for it....short trips for even a short time are better than none at all.........

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Health

Agree totally with the advice to get a 2-3 year old used unit and do it!

No one else is going to face your illness FOR you. If you have children or parents they will certainly suffer, but it is not your job to give up every bit of whatever time you have left to comfort them. Comfort them with the knowledge that you're spending your time being completely and totally true to your own dreams.

Two years ago, my 42 year old doctor with no family history of heart disease lectured me endlessly about 20 different health problems. He was appalled to find that I was camping fulltime SOLO, changing tires on my rig, climbing up the side to reseal the seams, and doing other things that he said were too stressful. I have worked to get my triglycerides and cholesteral levels lower - but I refused to take medication to do it. My weight still is a big issue but is coming down. I'm more concerned about feeling comfortable, mobile and having energy than I am about following some soy-milk, macro-biotic, vegan, wheat grass diet.

My doctor? A year ago his wife went to wake him up one morning and found him stone cold dead of a massive heart attack.

At 62 I can guarantee any doctor that I have many fewer years in front of me than behind me. I could die tomorrow, but I will not sit in a darkened room feeling my pulse and weighing every single grape that I eat because fear is my only link to life. I'd rather stroke out than end up with some jerk doctor using heroic measures to keep my heart beating for three more weeks so the hospital can bill my insurance carrier or medicare another $80K. The plain fact is that in my family after 75 there is creeping Altzheimers. Dying young? It's a bit too late for that. Worrying about the future won't change it. So I contribute to the research and LIVE to please myself and put a few good things back into this world which has given me this much time.

I'll do what makes me happy and if it confuses or even irritates those few close friends and family I hold dear... well they'll just have to accept that I DO hear the beat of a different drummer. I can't explain the quiet satisfaction of occasionally waking up just as the earliest dawn is breaking - where the sky is deep blue velvet - and the frogs aren't yet croaking - and sit on the step of my Airstream and watch the "rosy fingered dawn" arrive.

The great anonymous "THEY" don't get it? "They" can go get judgmental with themselves. (They can also go perform a physically impossible sex act with themselves, for that matter.) I have one very close friend who has constantly nagged me about becoming "a little more normal" and giving up the Airstream. I riposted that if I were more normal I might not like HIM. Haven't heard a peep since.

We all say "if I had my life to live over" or "If I knew then what I know now, I'd do........ differently" Or "If I could only have one day to live over I would do......"
But the brutal truth is the only day you can do differently is today
.... and tomorrow - if it's granted to you.

Money really is NO OBJECT. At worst you'll cheat the hospital out of $100,000 - blow it on a year or two of Airstreaming! Borrow the money, sell the Airstream when you can't use it any more, or just let the finance company repo the unit after you're gone. Drop dead in a campground... you won't have to clean up the mess!

I see many RV'ers who have a bumper sticker that says "We're spending the kid's inheritance!" Unless your children are still in high school and really do need financial and emotional support, you should seriously consider letting them know you're leaving them memories and a decent upbringing, but that you're granting them three more precious gifts:
  1. the thrill of knowing that they can survive independently
  2. the right to make their own futures
  3. the knowledge that they didn't blow all the money you left them!
Death is the only obstacle none of us can overcome. Not living the way you want to is just giving away your life to death, one day at a time. You might have a hundred days, or a thousand days so why waste even this one? Go to the classifieds and look for that Airstream. The journey actually starts with the anticipation!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it "the present."

Paula
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Its later than you know,
go camping.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
Getting ready to purchase an A/S. I'm scared. Reason for my fear is: (1) not sure that I will be able to use it as much as I would like due to my illness and (2) not sure that I will be able to make my "bucket list" trip. In other words, I think I'm throwing away $$$ for this insatiable urge to own an A/S, simply to see the West, Canada and Alaska in the style that I had always wanted to see it. I'm confused...but I working my way toward that purchase in two weeks!!
While I agree with a lot of the comments here, I think that in your place (whatever that might be, health-wise) I would discuss those fears with my doctor and get an idea of his (her) thoughts on your physical condition versus trailer life.

Secondly, before investing in one and launching yourself into the wide, wide world in it, why not rent one (any brand, it doesn't have to be an Airstream) and take it out for a week or two. Driving with one is pretty straight forward, so you wouldn't need to go a thousand miles to see what that part of it is like.

Just get yourself far away, to someplace interesting, and try the trailer camping life out. Hitching/unhitching, setting up, dealing with the minor annoyances that will doubtless occur. Live it.

By that time you'll have a pretty good idea if it's for you or not.

And if it is, well, I'll see you down the road!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Most of my dreams have turned into nightmares. All of my obsessions have. I never wasted time, lost money, or made an enemy by not doing something.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If this has been a dream, and you can do it, go for it! Don't get bogged down in the "what if's"---get out there and follow your heart.

Good luck to you,

Maggie
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I agree- if you want to do it,and are physically able still, and can afford it, then you will regret NOT doing it. It is my experience that overall health does NOT get better with age, so waiting to fulfill your dreams is just wasted time. Also agree with getting one that is newish, or fully refurbished/restored- you want to enjoy using it, and traveling, not just crawl around underneath the darn thing looking for frame rust, mouse entry points, plumbing problems, bad axles, etc. Best of luck to you and hope to see you in a National Park campground one day! -tim
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
While I agree with a lot of the comments here, I think that in your place (whatever that might be, health-wise) I would discuss those fears with my doctor and get an idea of his (her) thoughts on your physical condition versus trailer life.

Good advice, sort of. Make sure the Doc is one who understands - not just thinks he does what traveling in an RV is like. Second and this is the biggie make sure it is a doc who understands the difference between quality of life and extending life. A major weakness of our society is the inability to tell the difference between being alive and living. Some risks are worth taking. Some time back someone posted a quote about harbors being the safest place for a ship, but that ships are meant to be sailed, I fall into that camp.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Its later than you know,
go camping.

Rodney, In the fewest words possible, you have hit the nail square on the head. To the OP, go for it if possible and enjoy yourself.

Tim
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Paula, your post is awesome, and together with Rodney's ship in the harbor comparison has caused me to take a time out so to speak. Owning an A/S is different than some other TT or MH, it is as others have stated, 'a life style'. While I do not know Benjisgal situation, I hope they can experience the joys of an A/S.

Others have brought up good and valid points about seeking a doctors advice. In the end when we develop our individual 'Bucket Lists', we know to some extent our limitations. But in the end, we need to have fun and no regrets or resentments. There is a song on the internet titled 'Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen), by Laz Buhrmann. I first heard this when my daughter was in high school back in '99. I can't remember the why or how, but I recently found this. It won't answer everything but it will cause you to call a time out in life and reconsider priorities in life...
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I have chronic pain from a serious back injury, bad knees and peripheral neuropathy. Some doctors would probably say I shouldn't be doing all the maintenance on our trailer and shouldn't have remodeled two houses in the last 21 years. They'd tell me not to cut firewood with my chain saw and take care of our 37 acres. I refuse to act my age and physical condition.

I hope whatever your illness is you make the best of it and an Airstream can fit into your life.

Don't die with regrets.

Gene
Have you tried SAM E? It is the only thing that will regrow worn joints such as knees and back discs.

I started taking it for depression (which it cured) then noticed after 3 weeks, my back and knees no longer bother me. They used to ache bad if I was on my feet for a few hours, now that pain no longer occurs.

Friend of mine who works in an office used it to cure her carpal tunnel syndrome.

SAM E is a non prescription diet supplement. I buy it at Walmart, drug stores or health food stores.

It works best if taken with Vitamin C, E, and B6 B12 and folic acid.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Delta , British Columbia
Take that leap of faith and follow your dream. My hubby has what will eventually be a debilitating illness but we are actively and excitedly searching for our first AS and have just found two we would like to look at. GO FOR IT so you don't sit back and say, "....if I had only bought that AS....." KEEP smiling and good luck with your search.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Have you tried SAM E? It is the only thing that will regrow worn joints such as knees and back discs.
Thanks for the tip. I doubt anything but magic could reconstitute the cartilage in my back (bad lifting habits) or knees (skiing). I will have to investigate this. Meanwhile one knee gets scoped this winter. But this thread isn't about me.

I think some assumptions have been made regarding 'gal's post. The "illness" could be back pain, lupus, cancer, allergies, Lime disease, etc. It is not necessarily death coming down the road.

It could be a chronic condition that affects strength, mobility or stamina. If so, I think it's a legitimate concern, especially if 'gal will be alone on the road (you'd think Benji would be along, but Benji could be a cat). For example, raising and lowering the stabilizers is difficult for me because of my back injury, but my wife can do it easily. If I were alone, I'd consider using a cordless drill to do it, or sitting on a bench. I do use a bench when connecting and disconnecting the sewer hose, flushing tanks, or attaching the hitch to the truck. I also use a bench for other things like cleaning the lower part of the trailer, checking tire pressure, etc. So, for that type of injury there are ways to compensate. Lack of stamina can be caused by lots of diseases or aging, and means taking things slowly. Exercise will help with many joint related injuries and will build stamina—it has certainly helped me. So, over the years I have found solutions to my problems and I'm sure many people do the same.

Since we don't know what the "illness" is, it is difficult to offer advice from individual experiences. I respect 'gal's privacy and we may never know what the illness is.

Gene