Old 10-26-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
I'm getting p****d off!!

Last night I had some imbeciles hit the A/S with a pumpkin putting a nice size dent in the roadside between the dinette and lounge side windows. Really funny.

This is the fourth time that it has been hit...the other three times with eggs...and every time there is damage. Not a lot, but it is adding up - clearcoat hacks, dents, stains, etc. - and is starting to get to me.

It's not as though I live in a bad neighborhood, they are now tearing down million dollar homes to put up even bigger, more expensive, ones. I have to park on the street as I cannot get the A/S into the drive due to the historic elm trees next to the streets and my own landscaping.

Local police as sympathetic, but don't have any ideas. Time to rig up some sort of surveillance and start sleeping next to the rig with one of my favorite softball bats so I can return the favor when I catch them.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit...
Jace

WBCCI #2369
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Get 59Toaster's father in law out there. He'll take care of the juvenile delinquents.

John

Old 10-26-2003, 07:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Last time we took a trip I pulled the trailer to the front the night before departure. The next AM I couldnt open the door. Some hooligans had tried to pry the door open with a screwdriver(or something). I know just how you feel. Next time the rottweiller spends the night in the trailer!!!She's a great burglar alarm.

Heidi
Old 10-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I'm Surprised!

Jace,

First of all I am surprised the Edina blue bloods would let you park on the street. They tear down old houses on my street and rebuild too. My advantage is there are hardly any kids where I live and I have my Airstream parked 200 feet off the street in my woods. You couldn't see it from the street but now you can now that leaves are off the trees.

We had fun on Halloween when I was a kid. I'm old enough to have tipped outhouses (but never did). The most we did was soap glass windows and stick car horns. I'm not so sure in this day and age sticking car horns would be safe. It wasn't safe to do that in the inner city bck then where I grew up but was safer in the suburbs where I lived as a teen.

It was a more trusting era back in the late 50s and early 60s and of course the steering wheels had those easy to wedge chrome horn rings. We didn't smash pumpkins or throw eggs. We didn't even TP trees. Maybe we valued peoples' dollars more back then. But we were mischievous.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I had a pumpkin attack just about one year ago. Got an upper corner segment. Never have found who did it.

Mark
Old 10-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jace,

Maybe if it is an option, consider putting the unit in a storage facility. Not sure what's availible out your way, but around here, they have fenced in areas where you can keep the unit within that has some level of security from punks that are out to cause general mischief at your expense.

Sorry to hear about what happened.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Mine got keyed....

Mine was parked on the street for a few days following the return from my father in law's funeral.
Some kids walking the streets to and from school evidently keyed it or used some type of scratching device to mark it the entire 31 ft from stem to stern on the street side.

Just great isn't it?

They don't do it to cars parked on the street....but leave a clean and shiny Airstream on the street and the temptation to abuse it like an aluminum soda can is just tooooo much.

So I got the maintenance issues done on the trailer the day I found the damage by taking off from work, and got it parked back inside the block fence in the backyard again to prevent additional damage.

I would love to know who did it so I could send their parents an estimate from a dealer on a plasticoat job to repair it.

Oh well.....now back to your regular programming....
Old 10-27-2003, 01:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I can't say that we've ever had any vandalism done to our camper; just fortunate I guess! I park beside our home next to a large yard of our neighbors. The only thing that has happened is sometimes grand kids have come to visit and our neighbor has worried that they might accidentally hit the A/S with a ball or something like that. Even that hasn’t happened to my knowledge. The only damage I’m aware of on our camper, since we’ve had it, is from my own carelessness.

Thinking about the “letter thread” I think we’re fortunate to live in small town U.S.A. We’ve never had to put up with city ordinances of any kind where we’ve been told what to do with our camper, where we can or can’t park it. I can’t imagine how I would feel if I was sent a letter telling me it wasn’t suitable to be kept on our property and had to be moved. This is supposed to be a free country where we have some rights but I’m starting to wonder if we have any left at all anymore!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Jace,

There's no income barrier for punks!!!!

At least it's getting close to storing her indoors for the winter.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
No vandalism yet in my neighborhood, but I took a few precautions. I have a motion detector light at the corner of my house, so if anyone approaches the trailer at night, the light comes on.

Since my trailer is "under re-construction" and appliances are not connected, I unhooked the propane tanks. I had visions of some kid coming by and opening both valves and filling the trailer with gas. Then I fumble around with the key, BOOM, and you can see the mushroom cloud all the way to the West Coast... along with CNN coverage of course.

One last thing I have is a small red LED light with one AA battery in a small black plastic box sitting in the window. The light blinks continuously as if it is an alarm system. I used to use it in my second car that didn't have an alarm.

So far so good!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Thumbs down Why does misery love company?

Thanks for the kind notes...sad that we humans tend to feel better when others relate their tales of woe, but there is strange comfort knowing that you are not alone.

I envy all of those that can keep their A/S at their home...I do store the A/S in a fully secured storage lot at a cost of more than $100 per month with no problems. My problems have occurred when I have brought the rig home to load the night before a trip.

I live in a first-ring urban area and understood the city ordinance issues when I moved there 15 years ago. The street has a really tight neighborhood group and we have never had a problem before. In fact, in each instance, like dscluchfc said, there were other vehicles on the street within a few feet that go untouched.

Lastly, Davydd was right, many of us were mischievous, myself very much included, but we didn't get off on damaging others property.

What it signifies to me is that there is a continual, gradual erosion of empathy in our society. If there was greater empathy for others, we would significantly reduce minor incidents like mine and, more importantly, the further growth of violent crime in the US.

OK...I've stepped off my soapbox for now.
Thanks,
Jace
WBCCI #2369
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Back in the "Good Ole Days", you could reload shotgun shells with rock salt, and "Let 'em have it." Parents and law enforcement would back you up, if you pickled someone's ass. But no more. The perps are seen as the victim. "How could you do that to my son?" "All he did is cause $5000 in damage to your old crummy Airstream!"

Currently, it is against the law in Ohio to use deadly force to protect property. It is permissible to make a "citizens arrest" if a felony has been commited. Using a firearm to hold someone until the authorities arrive may or may not be permissible depending on the crime.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #13
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: I'm getting p****d off!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JaceBeck
Time to rig up some sort of surveillance and start sleeping next to the rig with one of my favorite softball bats so I can return the favor when I catch them.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit...
Jace
Exactly! From now on, run a power cord out to it and either stay the night in it, or leave a few lights on to give the appearance someone is inside.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:34 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lightbulb Re: Re: I'm getting p****d off!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nds

Exactly! From now on, run a power cord out to it and either stay the night in it, or leave a few lights on to give the appearance someone is inside.
Better Idea just hook the hot leg of the power cord to the shell of the AS and ground the neutral when the vandal grabs the door handle then when the investigative officer shows up just play dumb and say " gee I guess it must have had some electical issues, you know how these OLD trailers can be "

Aaron