Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
I'm a new Airstream owner & I NEED HELP!!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site...just signed up today, and hoping to get some help from all the experts here =). We just acquired a vintage Overlander Airstream, and although we love it, we know NOTHING about it. We want to restore it to it's original glory, but are complete novices at this. My very first & very important question:

How do we get the toilet/septic system cleaned out?!

The previous owners left us a GEM of a job in this department! We do not have a way as of yet to get the Airstream to an RV park pumpout station, or similar and need to know if there are companies that come to your residence to do this? Any thoughts, ideas or advice?! I am in Redondo Beach, So. Cal. ANY advice is MUCH appreciated!

Cheers!
Erica Ortiz
ej6776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Try calling Service Master - Rescue Rooter.

http://www.rescuerooter.com/rescue-rooter/index.dsp
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej6776
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site...just signed up today, and hoping to get some help from all the experts here =). We just acquired a vintage Overlander Airstream, and although we love it, we know NOTHING about it. We want to restore it to it's original glory, but are complete novices at this. My very first & very important question:

How do we get the toilet/septic system cleaned out?!

The previous owners left us a GEM of a job in this department! We do not have a way as of yet to get the Airstream to an RV park pumpout station, or similar and need to know if there are companies that come to your residence to do this? Any thoughts, ideas or advice?! I am in Redondo Beach, So. Cal. ANY advice is MUCH appreciated!

Cheers!
Erica Ortiz

Hi Erica,
Welcome to the forums

Now for your fun project Most houses have a sewer clean out somewhere, if you can find yours and it isn't too far away from where the trailer is you can run a sewer hose to it. Another possiblity would be an RV dealership, many of the ones I have seen have dump stations. You are going to need to rinse and rinse. Then after you think you have the worst out, toss in a 7# bag of ice, a few gallons of water, and go for a drive, then dump again. There are several types of chemicals available from any RV supply house to help break the mess up too.
Good Luck with the project!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Welcome to the forum, Erica!

I recently emptied my black tank (that's septic) into a portable blue tak, which I then was able to take to a dump station. I did this so I wouldn't have to drag the trailer out just to empty the septic. The portable blue tanks are available at RV stores, just be sure to get one big enough to contain your black tank.

Since you have a 66, you'll probably want the blue tank for hooking up to catch your grey water when you are parked at a site without hookups. So you are not wasting money by buying one, you'll need it anyway. This will all make sense to you later as you get used to the trailer..

Welcome, we were all new once, so feel free to ask questions!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Ok, you are already giving me a TREMENDOUS amount of help! I've always loved airstreams, and said I wanted one...but really didn't know much about them. And one day, SUPRISE! I have one in my driveway..an amazing gift!! But the gift is also a fixer upper, so I'm going to have to learn real quick! It's a HUGE project, so I'm sure you will see me in this forum begging for help very often! Thanks for the quick responses already!! I need all the help I can get!

=) Erica
Old 11-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

hi Erica--welcome! you will be able to find the answer to any question here--this forum is full of knowledgeable and kind people. We just got our Safari in Sept., so we are newbies here, too.

Zoe
zoeb nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Erica, your black (sewer) holding tank should be a ten gallon tank, so a ten gallon blue tote-tank will be sufficient. It has wheels on one end, so you can pick up the other end and roll it to a dump station. I would not get a bigger one, as you will have to lift it at some point, and the contents of the tank will weigh about 8 pounds per gallon, or 80 pounds. Some folks get the 15 or 20 gallon tanks, as they have wheels on both ends, or can be hitched to you tow vehicle to haul to the dump station. But you still have to lift it over the concrete spill curb when you get there.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Sounds like the blue tank is the way to go. I can go to a local RV store to get one of these?

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Sounds like the blue tank is the way to go. I can go to a local RV store to get one of these?

Thanks again everyone!!
Yes. If you have a Camping World nearby, they keep them in stock.
Umm, how to put this delicately...
After you empty the contents of the black tank, into the blue portable one, there is no real reason you can't dump this stuff in the toilet of your house. I would be careful of dumping too much too fast, for obvious reasons. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt.
I would wear latex gloves for this operation, they are inexpensive, and worth the cost. It would also be a good idea to put some in the trailer for when you are dumping while camping.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Got it! Knowing me, I will be donning a face mask as well!! LOL! Thanks for the help...I think I will be able to start this weekend!

-Erica =)
Old 11-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Don't forget the nose pin!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Don't forget the nose pin!
For the newbies, that is a clothespin on the nose...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
When I got my trailer the black tank was a little..um..hard to say this...let's say there was some stuff in there that didn't come out when I went to the dump station. I put some rid-x, which is a home septic tank enzyme treatment, in the tank and let it sit a few weeks, then at the next dump all that nasty stuff came out at once, and increased my tank capacity by a couple gallons! So you might want to do something like that to help clean out your tank, since you're not going to be doing the crushed ice trick any time soon (since you're not going to be moving the trailer itself).

And definitly get latex gloves, and that clothespin's not a bad idea

Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Close pin...CHECK! Thanks for all the ideas...it's helped A LOT!! Keep em comin if you got em!!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Close pin...CHECK! Thanks for all the ideas...it's helped A LOT!! Keep em comin if you got em!!
When it's finally time to go and actually use your new coach, there are several threads and posts that will help you take the right stuff with you.
A search for "camping list" will net several lists of things to take with you.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
I hope that is sooner rather than later! I'm going to get started this weekend. There's lots to do. I found a place in So Cal that does complete restorations & has any kind of part you can think of. I'm sure I'll be a regular there. Wish me luck with the "blue tank endeavor" this weekend!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
A lot of these things are so awkward the first time you do it, just take your time and keep a good attitude, and I'm sure you'll get through it!

Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
I hope that is sooner rather than later! I'm going to get started this weekend. There's lots to do. I found a place in So Cal that does complete restorations & has any kind of part you can think of. I'm sure I'll be a regular there. Wish me luck with the "blue tank endeavor" this weekend!
You must be talking about UWE's garage!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
OR --- you could pull a Randy Quaid from Nationial Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and dump that sucker in the storm drain at the end of your driveway!!!

Not really, just trying to add a bit of humor to a job that is NOT going to be humorous when you do it. Wear rubber gloves and always when dealing with black water, prepare for the worst.

Good luck!

steve
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote