Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Same styling, better integration

I'd like to see something along the line of MacPherson Strut suspension, eliminating the axles altogether. This would allow for the same low center of gravity, but with a deeper chassis so that holding tanks could be completely enclosed. Perhaps the traditional chassis itself could be eliminated then, with the entire unit being a true monocoque or uni-body design.

I'd like to see a smooth undercarriage again. This follows from above. There's too much hanging down now, such as the sewer valves and outlets.

As for the exterior door -- why have a conventional door that swings out? Why not make it a recessed sliding door, or a door that slides open like those on vans? The wind wouldn't catch it and slam it into the side, leaving a dent or hole, and it wouldn't interfere with the awning.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
MECHANICAL CHARACTERISTICS: On average (depending on the specific alloy), Ti is as strong as steel, yet 40% lighter. It is immune to corrosion from salt water and most industrial and organic chemicals. Also, it is a "self-healing" metal, meaning that scratches/abrasions on the surface finish are immediately ‘healed’ in the presence of oxygen or water (no oxidation or rust). Depending on the product design, heat treatment, and alloy used, Ti can be soft or hard, flexible or stiff, as heavy as steel, or as light as aluminum. In short, it is a versatile material which can exhibit a variety of mechanical properties. But t is expensive.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:33 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
A slight drift off course..

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
MECHANICAL CHARACTERISTICS: On average (depending on the specific alloy), Ti is as strong as steel, yet 40% lighter. It is immune to corrosion from salt water and most industrial and organic chemicals. Also, it is a "self-healing" metal, meaning that scratches/abrasions on the surface finish are immediately ‘healed’ in the presence of oxygen or water (no oxidation or rust). Depending on the product design, heat treatment, and alloy used, Ti can be soft or hard, flexible or stiff, as heavy as steel, or as light as aluminum. In short, it is a versatile material which can exhibit a variety of mechanical properties. But t is expensive.
As I read more and more about Titanium, I'm beginning to wonder 'just' how much more expensive can it be.
Consider the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, which opened in 1977, was made almost entirely outa of this stuff.~!
http://www.timet.com/architecture
This is an excellent site for reading.
Where once it was the likes of SR-71:
Now commercial airplanes airframes are being built out of titanium material where once it had been made entirely out of aluminum.~changes do happen..Too costly? Maybe once but, not now when you compare the lives and safety issues involved~
Pick
Yes~! An excellent idea of a new way~
I'd like to see dramatic increase in the usage of LED's where ever possible. The company has seen "fit" to 'light' the way here..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guggenheim.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	6148  
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:47 AM   #60
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Steven,

It's funny that you mention that. When I was at Jackson Center, I got the sense that some folks there do have their own Airstream (never met engineering folks though).

If you ever go to the Jackson Center facility, you'll see a bunch of passionate folks, some Streamers themselves!

Eric
Old 04-23-2004, 08:07 AM   #61
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Hmm, I wonder..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64

Would anyone buy a Harley that looks like a Ninja???
Harley Davidson