Old 01-20-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

If you didn't buy an Airstream, then what?

Question.

I know that we all love our Airstream's, but I am curious to find out from the other members of this chat forum what you think of other travel trailers that are on the market.

In your opinion, is there one travel trailer brand out there that really stands out?

Old 01-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We had come down to either a Sunline or Nash. Leaning towards the Sunline. For what they are they are well built and have a good warranty record. When the chance came to buy a vintage Airstream all bets were off I have always liked Airstreams...for over 35 years Now I have one...still like them, in fact I found another one for sale the other day but my wife won't let me have my allowance Probably a good thing. I work with metal for a living and consider the Airstream a work of art that just happens to be the best built travel trailer in the world. Does it have it's problems...yes but how many 29 year old SOB's do you see still being used regularly.

Aaron

Old 01-20-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Joshua, if we hadn't gotten our Argosy, we prbably would have gotten one of those fiberglass trailers. Knowing what I do about nails in wood working loose, I really didn't want another "wobbly box".
Terry
Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We'd still be using our tent ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hmmmmm.........

How about an oxen team & aluminium covered wagon.........polished of course.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Fiberglass

Before Airstream, I was interested in Casita, a fiberglass trailer. The body is a bit more streamlined, less susceptible to rust and early failure than the typical SOBs, and they are lightweight.

But I could never get past the interiors ... hideous IMHO ... even though the Casita folks seem to like them. Ultimately I discovered the vintage Airstreams and got a lot more (karma, nostalgia, features, space, insulation) for about one-third the price of a new Casita. Even with all that, I still have a soft spot for the Casita, and would re-consider them if they could update their interiors (and my Caravel spontaneously exploded! )

-- RL
Old 01-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
SOB

Award travel trailers, made in Canada, would likely be on the top of the list after Airstream. However, we just saw a line of Grand Surveyor models by Forrest River at the RV show and we were quite impressed with them. They have fiberglass panel exteriors with aluminum framing, R-7 insulation in the walls, and R-11 insulation in the roof, independent rubber torsion axles similiar to the Henchen axle used by Airstream, a totally enclosed & insulated under chassis utilizing removable aluminum panels, a 12 year warranty on the roof (rubber), 5 year on the axle, 2 year on the outer skin, etc. All that and their 28 foot with slide out weighs only 4834#'s with a load capacity of 1500#'s and hitch weight of 520#'s. Pretty impressive numbers for a trailer that costs less than $23,000 including all options.

BUT that square box still leaves me cold. And as good as the warranty is - possibly better than Airstream's - will not make the fiberglass skin last as long as the aluminum skin on an Airstream. I would be afraid that if I sold my Airstream to buy a flat sided trailer, no matter how good that SOB might be, I would always regret the move.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
If you didn't buy an Airstream, then what?

After my experiences with two earlier box-type RVS, a Sunway and then a Nomad, I really didn't seriously consider anything other than an Airstream or Argsoy - - didn't consider new as I couldn't afford to buy a new Airstream at that time.

If my search for an Airstream or Argosy hadn't been successful, I probably would have seriously considered the top-of-the-line model manufactured by Jayco in the 24'-27' range. The main reason for considering that particular brand was the reputation of my hometown dealer who has been in business for 30 plus years.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Re: If you didn't buy an Airstream, then what?

Quote:
Originally posted by joshua32064
Question.

I know that we all love our Airstream's, but I am curious to find out from the other members of this chat forum what you think of other travel trailers that are on the market.

In your opinion, is there one travel trailer brand out there that really stands out?
No.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

For the record, the reason I am asking this question, is because I am merely curious.

I have a few friends that always ask me how other units compare, and I always tell them that the Airstream is a superior product.

The one thing that I can't argue with them about, is that you get a lot more space for usually half or a third the price. The only way I do combat that, is by telling them that they will have to buy three of those, before I need to purchase another trailer.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
sad but true

I was sitting in a 16' CCD at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa last weekend, with four other people. We had a conversation for over an hour. Periodically someone would stick their head in, and we'd heartily invite them in.

They'd come in, look around, look at the sticker, and say, "Oh, $35,000 for something so small!" And then they'd head off to buy a 28-foot SOB at half the price.

Many people buy by the foot, thinking it equates to a good value. Such people will have to learn the hard way.

-- RL
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
I'm perplexed. Why didn't any of the nine respondents who "bought A/S instead, NOT buy NEW...all, ALL, were vintage owners.!??????? Am I not supposed to be buying a new A/S?????
Old 01-20-2004, 09:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Mine is new and I do NOT regret my purchase at all. I have had my unit for a short amount of time and have had a wonderful time taking it out each time.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Thanks, But you started the thread and everyone else had vintage units. We are about to buy either a 2004-25'-Safari or Classic after a long (> 1yr.) search. I was reading the thread with interest but taken aback that you were the only newbee! This is a big decision for us and hope I'm not stepping into a lose/lose situation....Maybe that's too strong, but I'm trying to feel comfortable about our purchase.