Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2004, 09:43 PM   #21
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
You make a good point, Mark

Where else other than Airstream, new or used, can you expect not to lose money on your toy???

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
It was just a quick observation I made & it hit a hot-button while I'm about to plunck down over $30K (borrow!) on a new A/S & I'm nervous!! I really appreciate the vintage units. When younger I would buy quality (brand name) sail boats, refurb them, use 'em , & then sell. Never could afford the nice ones otherwise. Age & health dictate today's actions, have to buy 'ready-to-go'!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:45 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Hi Joshua,

I too have wanted an Airstream for a long time. However, by chance I started to look at the Avion trailers. So, you can probably guess - yep, I ended up buying an 87 Avion 34V trailer.

I have had my fill of wood frame trailers - both fibreglass and aluminum exteriors. Would not go back to them gain, that is for sure.

Both the Airstream and Avion use similar construction techniques. Airstream are still being made, Avion are not. I find the Avion to be equal in quality to the Airstream of the sam year. Insulation different and I think, a little heavier to tow. For me that is not a problem as I have a 3500 Dodge dually with the Cummins engine.

My old trailer has a few things that need fixing and they will get done this spring. The one advantage I have (if you can call it that) is the alumi,nium is anodized and not plastic coated like the airstream. It tows like a dream and I am very happy with it so far. If I could have bought an Airstream (within 800 miles from home) instead of the Avion, I would have. I didn't but still enjoy reading about them and lookng at them. They are pretty close cousins, in my book.

We all have a story and I have found it interesting reading all about other peoples choices.

Happy trails.

Mariner
1986 F250 T/C 6.9 Diesel, LB,S/C,4x4,Auto
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Late Model Used Airstreams

There is a third group of buyers for Airstreams - the buyers who look for a late-model unit. What you lose is the factory warranty and the financing advantages. What you gain is a tremendous reduction in the new price - which serves as an insurance policy against potential problems. It's not for everyone - and the late model Airstreams are just as hard to find as the vintage units.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:03 AM   #25
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Making a profit on your resale

Rog says:
Quote:
Where else other than Airstream, new or used, can you expect not to lose money on your toy???
It's possible to turn a profit on resale of your SOB, but I expect rare. I had a Trailmanor. These are unusual and sought after units. Primarily because they can be pulled by many six cylinder trucks and suvs.

I paid $10k for it in 2002 and sold it for $11k in 2003 and didn't make any significant repairs or upgrades.

I looked at SOBs at the Atlanta RV show after selling my Trailmanor and saw some that looked nice and comfortable. To be honest, I can't recall the name of a single one of them. They were just not unique.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #26
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joshua32064
The only way I do combat that, is by telling them that they will have to buy three of those, before I need to purchase another trailer.
This, by far, is the biggest advantage to buying an Airstream. The resale value and the longevity of them. How many 30 year old SOB's do you see out there? Not very many.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:22 AM   #27
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I will chime in here as an owner of a new 2003 25 Safari SS. My wife and I looked for nearly 2 years to find a late model six sleeper and couldn't find one anywhere close. So we bit the bullet and bought new. Can't tell you how much we love it - one of the best purchases we ever made.

I like the look of the vintage trailers, but don't have the necessary skill set(s) or space to do major renovation/restoration - hence the decision to go new.

Like others in the forum I bought Airstream for the long haul, don't want to replace it every 5-10 years
Old 01-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

We recently aquired a 22ft International 2003 after my wife decided it was worth the extra cost compared to all the other SOB on the market. I've owned a Jayco folddown and a Hi/Low. The Jayco could be repaired, and needed repair, using general woodworking tools but was subject to rot. The Hi/Low blew out the hydrolics in the lift system and the seal between top and bottom boxes making it a very towable tent.

We looked at new AS and then found the 22ft that had all the bugs worked out and the owner moving into a 25ft. Seems the ideal catch.
Gerald Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Smile Airstream Unique

Airstreams, be they motorhomes or trailers, vintage or new, ALWAYS turn heads, rolling down the highway, or parked in a field.

Can't say that about your garden variety 20-year old Prowler or Holiday Rambler, that's for sure!

Setting my sights on our first Airstream to be purchased this year. Making a big jump from a tent trailer, and chomping at the bit!

Dave
bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We did it! : '04 Safari 25

We have just placed a deposit on a 2004 Safari 25. It's on the dealers lot and we hope to take possession within a week, all details considered. This site was a source of 'priceless' info, opinions, etc. that helped to verify our decision. I want to thank y'all for being so understanding. We will probably bore you with details as the next few weeks progress!!!!!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Congratulations. I am positive that you will be glad you decided to purchase the new unit.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:51 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie
It was just a quick observation I made & it hit a hot-button while I'm about to plunck down over $30K (borrow!) on a new A/S & I'm nervous!! I really appreciate the vintage units. When younger I would buy quality (brand name) sail boats, refurb them, use 'em , & then sell. Never could afford the nice ones otherwise. Age & health dictate today's actions, have to buy 'ready-to-go'!
The difference between new and vintage, as far as I am concerned, is the difference between buying a 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air, and a 2004 Malibu.
Some like to tinker, some like the classic lines, some like reliability and a warranty. With my Argosy, I am reasonably sure if something breaks, I can fix it. But, since it is older, there is a better chance it will break than if I had a new unit.
Terry