Old 05-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
If moving up from tents, what to do with all the gear

Note: I am not selling anything and this is not an ad. I'm looking for advice on what to keep and not keep only. If I decide to sell anything, it will most likely only be local.

We've glamped the past two years and we have some really awesome gear, but I know we need to sell much of it (not counting on our adult kids to want this stuff because they have let us know how much all camping sucks, so I'm not even worried about offering it to them).

Here's what we think we should pare down:

1) Coleman Octagon tent 13 X 13 (It is super nice and really top of the line for Coleman purchased directly from the company - not a discount store. We actually have two and are keeping one because the whole tent can be used as a screen room when the full rain fly is removed.

2) Lots and lots of area rugs

3) Air mattress (we are keeping one)

4) Cots (we are getting rid of three, but keeping a double bunk we bought new)

5) Folding tables (we have several of these and are keeping one)

Don't know whether to keep the following or not:

1) Dutch oven...had it a year, but it's so heavy and only used it in cooler months

2) Camp kitchen Full Size from Cabelas

3) Picnic EZ canopy...not sure with having an awning and the other Screen/Tent set up we would need an additional awning. We also bought velcro walls for the canopy to make it an enclosed shelter to keep the kitchen in...so...

4) Fan & Space heater. We had two each, but think we really now only need one each (for the 1 tent/screen room we are keeping). But if it's a good idea to have back up for the Airstream?

Things we're keeping:

1) The other Octagon tent/screen room
2) Tarps
3) Cookware & Dishes
4) Portable Grill
5) Folding chairs
6) Round Folding table
7) Cooler

Am I keeping too much or am I getting rid of things I'll need? I need to get rid of some of it because we also have three bikes to take with us and I don't know where we are going to put them.

TIA!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You can place a free ad in Classifieds here, for stuff you don't want.

Maggie

Old 05-02-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You can place a free ad in Classifieds here, for stuff you don't want.

Maggie
OK. Thank you. Don't know why I thought that was for trailers and RV's. I'm not selling anything at all now. I am hoping my post doesn't sound like an ad for selling stuff. I will try to edit it so it doesn't look like one
Old 05-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I also went from a tent to the AS about 5 years ago and basically had the same issue. I kept everything except the tent which went to my son. I ended up buying a screen room from LL Bean. So good idea to keep one. The area rugs depending on size can help keep the floors clean in your camper. So I would keep until you see what fits and don't fit and remember to place your biggest one or two at the outside entrance steps. I kept the cots but not for camping. They come in handy when the whole family comes visits. Never have enough of beds unless you live in a mansion. Definitely keep the dutch oven as you will be cooking outside a lot and will use it just as you would car camping. I also have the Cabeles full size camp table and very glad I did not give away. I have found it useful on long trips as it works great as a prep table. I also use it at home on my deck for cooking and have place one on my grills on it.
So my strong recommendation is that before you give anything away go camping a few times and see if you need or would use any of the things that you are thinking of getting rid of and remember to replace them can be a lot more expensive then keeping them in your garage.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a collorary of Murphy's Law: the stuff you save you will probably never use but as soon as you sell it you will need it.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might be a good idea to save all but those extra cots, thru your first year or few trips.

After that, you will have a better idea of what you will use, and won't.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
If moving up from tents, what to do with all the gear

Probably the least of your worries, but it's ironic that you're considering getting rid of the dutch oven. I go to archery tournaments, and since getting the AS, have tended to spend the nights before at the site with others who may come from further away than I do. Some of them make things in their dutch ovens, and like to share what they make with others. That sounded like fun to me, so I got a dutch oven and a cooking stand and am learning how to use it. Probably you'll run across like minded people in your AS travels, so you never know...
Old 05-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Sounds to me like it's time for a garage sale. If you are not using it, lose it.

Mike
Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Tarps get used to cover home projects, for the boat, for emergency storm damage.

A tent gets used for the folks who come to the reunion without an RV.

Dutch oven is priceless and the brother's family fights over it.

Cots allow outside sleeping when it's too hot to sleep inside.

Air mattress makes the dinette comfortable if it gets pressed into service.

Camp kitchen needs to be the core of the deck kitchen.

.............. so, glamping replaces some gear, but it also requires some new investment, like a comfortable mattress or china and glassware. Figure out what works for you. Adjust your inventory to fit that style.

Also, what your kids say now may not be what they say in ten years. A tent may be something you want to move on as new designs are being developed all the time, but a dutch oven is timeless. Unless you have moved to microwave cooking. Pat
Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI McDave, there are lots of interesting cooking threads on the Stella's Kitchen sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

including this Dutch Oven thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html

Can't imagine traveling without one!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
To me camping is not a one or the other thing. Why do anything with the camping gear except use it? I still do a lot of tent camping and I find it much more relaxing than having to deal with all the tech and mechanicals of trailer camping. If the weather is nice I can load up in a minute and be on my way. No crowds, barking dogs or screaming kids at the places I go. Cost is virtually nothing and most items I use tent camping I can use in my trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I kept a lot of high end backpacking equipment including tents for a long time just because it had sentimental attachment. After about 20 years, I donated it to Goodwill or tossed it. I realized I was too old to sleep on the ground again.
Save yourself the time, and downsize now.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I do a lot of motorcycle travel. I haul all my camping stuff if I ride the big bike, if I haul a smaller bike, I take the big tent and a cot. Much more comfortable. The last five years (with airstreams) I've probably spent as many nights in a tent as in the AS. Now my lovely wife, she has spent zero nights in a tent. Zero miles on a motorcycle also..
Old 05-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I still have all of my tent camping gear.
The stuff has just been hanging out in my shed for 7 years.
The sleeping bag went into the trailer.
I keep thinking someone will want or need it.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote