Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Additionally, one important issue you NEVER here of other brands but, is quit often the case here with Airstreams.

"I am on my 3rd, 4th or more" Airstream. That speaks volumes more than any other issue. If people return to buy a product over and over. There is something RIGHT about that product, PERIOD!
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We made a purchase decision mistake in October of 2012 with our 2013 25FB International Serenity. Late in the fall of 2013 we traded it in on our build to order 2014 Classic that arrived at the end one ☝️ fJanuary 2014. The dealer sold our used 25FB within two months of their getting possession when it was brought onto their site.

We added the 2015 23D International Serenity in July 2015 and enjoy both.

They are non replaceable due to all of the modification. The newer Classic models lack the Hickory interior we love and the manual equipment that won’t leave us stranded is not an option on the computer controlled new models. We do not want the ducted A/C that is the only way in the 23D.

So we will live with what we have as long as we can get around. We take it one day at a time and enjoy the moment.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Snip---We made a purchase decision mistake --snip--
Switz, what was the "mistake" if you can elaborate please?
Old 04-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I bought a 2015 32 ft Forest River 5th wheel new, drove it several hours, turned to my sweetie and said, "This doesn't work for me (I felt like I was pulling an elephant behind me)," drove it back home, turned it in a year later on a 2016 AS 27 FB.

From time to time, I get the urge to sell the 27 FB and get a 30 Classic, but have resisted so far. The 27 FB just really works for us and BigDog, fits tidily into camping spaces (the 30 looks a little imposing), and so far, I've followed my ex-father-in-law's aphorism, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The 27 FB, for sure, "ain't broke."
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
LoL, my "unfortunate" example was "If it ain't broke, break it, and make it better".

Many people seem to "up grade" to the 30' classic. While it is certainly appealing, the price factor plays a part in everyones wallet eventually.

I can not deny that this will not be an option in the future.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Sounds like a troll who can’t afford the asking price of an Airstream. the fat 60 and up crowd comment was totally out of order & offensive Andy, remove this thread
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Im bout 2 decades away from 60's and at 105lbs dont consider myself FAT! Im also on my 3rd trailer. Travel needs and styles change. I went up in size because im finding that when I head out in the trailer im staying longer and longer. My trailer also seems to be the happy hour magnet. I dont know where the original poster spends their time or the areas they travel to but most of the Airstream owners im meeting on the road are young and hip..even my older friends are hip & active and I cant keep up with them!
NonFat
3rd Airstream Owner
LilNomad!
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Bought our Airstream when I was 53, 58 now. Could always lose a few pounds but don't consider myself fat at 172 and 6 foot tall, nor my wife. We had plans for a new Airstream in our sights for years. Being popup campers for years we had a pretty good idea what we wanted in the upgrade. Fortunately it worked out. They're so expensive now I'm not sure we'd buy it again, almost 50% higher. Have to use it a lot to justify the cost. Maybe that's why some folks let theirs go.

The numbers of trailers for sale is probably as much a statistical thing as anything. There are thousands of Airstreams out there. To get at the answer you'd have to poll those selling. Lots of reasons I'm sure.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We were in the UK (one of many trips every year) so my wife could take a turn caring for her mother in a nursing home (her Mum died in January 2018 after being in the home over 19 years - paralyzed one side with ephasia that became total).

A new project was in the "dream" mode and an on-site abode during the construction would allow for continuous oversight which from prior experiences I knew would be necessary. I remembered seeing Airstreams and went to their website. I knew the weight "numbers" for my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI v6 turbo diesel. The initial fitment was a 19' International Serenity to meet the weight limits and we liked that trim in the photos. We ordered a unit from a Los Angles dealer while in the UK.

I found this forum and discovered threads about Andy Thompson at CanAm in London , Ontario, Canada who setup vehicles like mine to safely tow larger units. I learned about weight distribution hitches and settled on a Hensley Arrow.

Many phone calls from the UK to Canada and the US to both Andy and folks towing with a similar vehicle (some were even towing 34' tri-axle Classics) led me to the conclusion we could go with a larger trailer if I got the vehicle receiver properly reinforced. I reviewed larger models in the Airstream literature that one can access on-line and decided the 25FB International Serenity was the smallest of the wide body models and should work. We had yet to even go inside an Airstream. The floor plan illustrated a walk around between the side of the bed and the front wall. The concept of roof lockers had not come to mind (literally). At this time, twin beds were not a no charge option for the International series (around $5,000 adder could make the conversion).

Upon returning to the States, I drove my Mercedes from the Phoenix area to CanAm (2,200 miles each way with three days travel time each way) along with the Hensley Arrow stinger. I took the factory tour on the way over. They modified the hitch, shortened the stinger and pre-bent it slightly to pre-load the Hensley lift arms.

I showed up at the Los Angles dealership and we installed the Hensley Arrow (the street side and rear awnings had been dealer installed along with a single 155 watt solar panel and Centramatic wheel balancers). The literature 833 pound tongue weight had grown to 1,150 pounds after installing the Hensley Arrow, filling the propane and water tanks and putting my brief case on the bed.

The tow home went fine except for getting a flat right rear tire and having a donut spare. That created about a five hour diversion to play musical tires, return back to Los Angles to get the tire fixed, put tires back where they were on the car and return and hook up for the first time alone and in the dark.

Our first trip out after the weights were adjusted by putting all the tools at the back of the trailer to get the tongue weight down to 1,175 pounds, my wife and I got into bed. Surprise, there was NO walkway beside the bed. The crab walk to try and get down the bed to pee awakened my wife. I sat up in bed and cracked my head on the roof locker. There was no way for me to avoid that experience every time I sat up in bed.

The solar panel turned out to be an expensive joke. The dealer installed the control head at face level lying in bed inches away from your face. The sun started up and the charge lights started blinking and awakening my wife. Fortunately we had a pair of Honda 2000 watt generators as the 155 watt solar panel was unable to recharge the batteries from the furnace running at night at the Albuquerque Ballon Festival.

Other significant issues came to light with the new local dealership that made a mess of the trailer.

Looking back, if I knew then what I know now and the option had been available, a twin bed option would have been the proper choice for us and we would probably still have a 25FB model. However, we found my Mercedes was stressed towing the 25FB fully loaded at 6,900 pounds, so the 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins was acquired.

Having the Ram when we decided the 25FB was not for us allowed the full range of Airstream models to be considered (except for the 34' Classic at 11,500 GVW). We saw a repossesed 34" Classic on the dealer's lot and fell in love with the Hickory interior.

We decided to order a 27FB Classic with twin beds. A few weeks later after lots more discussion (we already new the VIN), we were talking about the dinette arrangement and realized the back 15' was the same on both the 25FB and 27FB and we were not too fond of the side sitting to see the television. So for just the difference in list price of around $3k, we changed the order to the 31' Classic and have never looked back. I kept the Hensley Arrow hitch, but installed the second generation ProPride on the Classic.

As fate would have it, the Hensley Arrow ended up on our 2015 23D International Serenity which the 2007 Mercedes tows easily. Switching the 23D from stock 14" tires and wheels to 15" SenDel wheels and Michelin tires (same model 15" Michelin like I installed on the 25FB) raised the 23D frame to the same elevation an the 25FB which allowed all the prior Hensley Arrow settings to work with no changes.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Twofootitus is a good reason among the others given in previous posts, also there are RV parks that do have an age restriction on RV's at the park; more than 10 years old? Get it out of here!

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I've never been asked the age of my unit after I tell them it's an AIRSTREAM!

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Who knows but the ones that are selling their AS's. This is not our 1st AS. Last one was a 72 33', however that was 30 years ago. Our current 2017 Classic is what we wanted. Yes in our 60's, could loose a few pounds, we eat well and are happy campers! Oh and I have been balled for over 40 years. Saved a lot of money on hair cuts. People try an offend me every day. That being said, no we are not going to sell and no not offended. You will have to try harder and get in line................

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Sounds like a troll who can’t afford the asking price of an Airstream. the fat 60 and up crowd comment was totally out of order & offensive Andy, remove this thread
Troll back politely..........Gets them every time...........

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I question that there is a (strong) connection between product quality and selling a trailer no matter the brand within a few years of buying it. Looking at the forum classifieds in an admittedly unscientific & cursory mode there seem to be more trailers that are model year 2010 or earlier on the forum (especially if you factor out the Basecamps up for sale) than 2010 or newer. For the newer trailers I'm thinking some are there to trade to a newer model year or type, but realistically not that many. Others may be a realization that trailering is not a lifestyle reality. I'm thinking it's the same with buying a boat. It's real work to get a boat out of storage, into the water, load all the "stuff" on it for a few days of boating then pull it out, clean it, store it. Storage fees and insurance have to be paid whether it is used or not. Just make a mental note of the trailers, boats, and motorhomes at the storage lots on your daily travel routes and think about how often <any> of them are moved. Trailers are also a lot of work and it just isn't for everyone.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #34
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I have two friends who said they always envied me because of my RVing so often. They both bought new AS trailers but after about two years they decided that it was not for them (or at least not for their wives). They (again their wives) decided that staying at a hotel or motel was a better option for trips.

I am 72 and my current AS is my third and my first trailer was an Argosy - 37 years of trailering. Hopefully, I can continue to travel for a few more years before I have to go the motel/hotel route.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Under 50. Not fat. Not selling.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
This apply’s To me...

We are selling our less than a year old 3028 Sport 22 FB. Why you ask? After several trips, we have decided to upgrade. We went with entry level first and are now very interested in the functionality of a higher level unit. We LOVE our Airstream and it kills us to take the loss, but we also want what we want and are willing to los a little for what we now know we want.

Let me know if you are interested in our 22.
LiveStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Week after week all sorts of late model Airstreams are posted for sale on the forums and the Airstream for sale website.

I understand that given the price point of "New" and late model used Airstreams the main customer base for Airstream is and always has been the "Fat 60 and Up Crowd" so age and physical abilities needed to use and enjoy the unit "may" be an issue HOWEVER the advertisement and turnover of so many new Airstream's in such a short amount of time by this many original owner's still begs the following question:

Why are so many of these late model Airstream original owners selling there Airstream so soon after purchase?

I look forward to hearing your response's, opinion's and criticism's.

You've seen many responses to your question which was buried in some offensive - even if unintentionally so - assumptions about weight, age, and physical capabilities. So my response, opinions and criticisms you look forward to hearing include the following.

I'm fat, under 60, and still enjoying every day I have with my 2012 purchased new. I hope that blend of stereotype hits and misses causes you to reconsider a few things about the range of ability across people, rather than an on/off switch due to some perceived limitation on your part.

There are, for example, veterans who have lost limbs who you might assume aren't able to camp and yet they do - overcoming physical challenges with whatever resources are available to them and enjoying the great outdoors in whatever trailer they like. Nothing more badass than seeing a vet on a hiking trail with a titanium leg wrapped in camo... [emoji3]

There are octogenarians in Airstreams who have a blast in caravans, rallies and private camping. There are wheelchair modified trailers, campers who are blind or deaf, and a host of other scenarios which you might think makes a person incapable of camping, but such an assumption is flawed. There are also some thin young folks who have no desire to enjoy this lifestyle or who may have other issues that prevent them from camping. There's a range - that's all I'm saying. You lose a lot when you assume weight and age imply capability or lack thereof.

This fat camper loves camping precisely because it affords me the opportunity to not sit on my butt all day in meetings and actually get on a trail with my bloodhound and enjoy the exercise. I know what it feels like to be laughed at by a trendy outdoors store salesman when wanting to find a backpack that works for me - and what it felt like to spend 30 minutes with a sales rep at LL Bean who lacked any stereotypical judgements about me and couldn't have been more excited and encouraging about my desire to enjoy the outdoors.

The wealth of other responses to some of the real reasons people trade in new trailers doesn't need anything added by me. Good input there by all.

Now you said you were looking forward to this - I sincerely hope it's helped serve you well.

Happy camping! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #38
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Making such uninformed assumptions about Airstream owners in the AirForum, Wow, really? Maybe all those folks who don’t buy Airstream’s just can’t afford one. I’m Not in my 60’s yet, 5’3 female, solo with a 2017 Classic 30 and 2017 RAM 2500 because I could. Not selling because I don’t need/want to. I learned from those that went before me and got the biggest one first.
I see a lot of folks at RV shows impulse buying all kinds of RVs then when they get it and take it out for a trip or two realize it’s a little more work than they can or want to do so they sell it. Some have never RV’d, or towed or even camped before and discovered they hate it. If they happened to buy an Airstream they will probably get most of the money back but this is not the case with other brands. Same thing happens with boats and Harley’s.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Oh geez who cares if he said "fat and above 60". We sure do live in the time of the perpetually offended.

I'm not sure how people made it through life if something that insignificant gets them riled up.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If Airstream trailers are so good why so many late model used units for sale so soon?

As a charter member of the fat 60 and up crowd, the shoe fits, so I wear it. The only reason we might sell our current AS is the front bed access problem. DW does not like being disturbed when I have to climb over her to get out of the bed.

If we do trade this one in, or transfer it to a relative, it would be to get an Airstream with a better layout, possibly a bit longer, and to eliminate the wet bath. Not in a rush, because ours is a narrow body and very short dual axle, and we like the maneuverability that this buys us....but we are going up on the TV to a Tundra eventually to allow some growth if we choose to go a bit bigger. Would most likely buy a lightly used one with a minimum of the complicated bells and whistles. Power awnings and Firefly, for example are on the not only no, but heck no list. Don’t need the complications.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote