Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I sold our grandson on Ebay

I am an admitted Ebay addict.

Now, with the high cost of fuel, I've been trying to think of ways to make money for our annual summer trek with the Airstream to the Northwest US. So I came up with this idea to sell our 18 month old grandson, Conner, on Ebay. When I listed him on an auction he sold pretty fast. Even my wife thought that was a good idea.

Well... not exactly...here's the rest of the story.

I've been helping my son sell nutrition bars on Ebay. A couple weeks ago he got 1000's of Atkins diet/nutrition bars in his inventory and I thought he'd never be able to get rid of that many. I started listing them for sale on Ebay auctions at a real cheap price, hoping to sell a bunch of them. At first I listed them at 100 bars for $19.95, with free shipping and handling, and we began selling a few at that price. Then, I thought why not increase the price to $24.95? So I increased the price and we sold even more.

Over this past weekend, my wife showed me some pictures she'd recently taken of our grandson, Conner. In one of the pictures, he was eating a Granola bar or something, and it looked like the Atkins bars we've been selling on Ebay. I thought, why not just include his picture instead of the Atkins bar picture that we'd been using in our auctions, and increase the price to $29.95.

You guessed it. We're offering identical bars at $24.95, that we had been selling at $19.95, but we're selling just as many with Conner's picture at $29.95. Go figure!

At the rate we're going, I just might make enough in to be able to buy fuel this summer.
I also made enough on these Ebay auctions to buy a new Sharp flat screen TV for our Aistream, Dish satellite service, an Accu-Dish stand, and we've made an appointment at Jackson Center to have them install a wall mount for the TV on our trip west next month.

I just hope my son and daughter-in-law aren't going to be too mad when they hear I sold their son on Ebay to help pay for these things.

John

ps - This isn't an advertisement for sale, but in case you'd like to see my grandson on Ebay, here's the link: (I just increased the "Buy it Now" price to $34.95, for fun, and to see what happens!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5576952605
Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Exclamation Good looking grandson

Hey Fly - great sales gimmick. Sorry, I don't want any bars. I'm still conflicted about the whole Atkins thing. If he was so healthy, why did he die?

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Maybe he didn't start young enough.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Re: selling your grandson on ebay

Hey, that is great....hope no skinny person shows up out west claiming they"re still hungry! lol ... BigEd
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
...I'm still conflicted about the whole Atkins thing. If he was so healthy, why did he die?
Though the effectiveness of his diet is debatable the cause of his death is certain: Atkins suffered a severe head injury after slipping on an icy sidewalk.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote