Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
Orcs

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Winthrop , Washington
Good advice from all above. Would add the following. Have a final walk around check list added to your checklists, make sure everything is in proper travel position. Every time you stop at a rest site, get out and check the hitch mechanism. If something feels rough or strange while towing, stop and check everything. Speed limit 60 mph.Sway bars. Use two people to hitch up,checking each other for omissions or wrong moves. Don't be interrupted during hitch up. Evaluate gas stations and other pull in places before pulling in...visualize your exit, make sure it is possible! If your hitch-receiver bar has a lock on it, drill another hole in the bar for a cotter pin in case the lock pops off. Drawers inside secured with bungie cords, also the cutting board on the sink.Electronic trailer brake controller on tow vehicle a must. To back up, place hands on bottom of steering wheel, if you want tail of trailer to go left then move left hand up turning steering wheel to the right and vice versa, always with a tail spotter. Don't change lanes, anticipate exits way ahead of time. Good luck ENJOY!
orcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
All good advice we just got our FC 23D 6 weeks ago. just pay attention to what is around you. Keep it at 60 and the right lane is you friend. When backing up stay relaxed and get out to look, some one will be happy to help guide you

Enjoy
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janabanana48 View Post
Oh noooo!!!!

Don't sell the sports car!

....or at least get something less expensive to replace it for weekend fun!

Might I suggest a Porsche 914 as a classic but not yet overpriced!?
....of course I'm biased as a long time 73 914-2.0 "914S" owner!

My advice as a fellow newbie, is stick to the CA towing limit of 55 & just leave more time to get there, get a checklist made up for all the pre- & post trip stuff, & be super cautious while driving.

I think AAA SoCal & NoCal may also offer a towing/RV class too.

Also a good WD & anti-sway set-up helps immensely, as I found out very early on!!!! ....no accident, but our vintage 20' single axle sure liked to "wag her tail" over 55, so that kept me honest on speed!

Have Fun!
Tom (the other half)
///////

Tom! I've put my 1979 Porsche 911 SC Targa up for sale. I know I'll regret selling it but my priorities have changed. I've owned that air cooled German go kart for 11 years but it is time to let others enjoy it.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Search the forum before asking detailed questions. If you get frustrated try googling your topic and "Airstream" you'll usually be guided back to the forums.
Set up your hitch right
Practice backing in a big parking lot
When entering a parking lot or fuel station, ensure that you can exit before you enter
Beware the dreaded high profile parking lot entrance (tail drag of trailer)
Use your checklists, be consistent
Chocks first when arriving, chocks last when leaving
Before entering or leaving a camping spot, look up, look down, look all around
Arrive at camp before dark
Enjoy the trip and the camping!
Brad

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
I learned this the hard way and since you are asking for advice...never never never enter an area blind where you cannot see a way out going forward. Example, a CVS pharmacy with a long single curbed lane approaching their drive thru that I just knew would get me around the building. I was wrong that day. Everything was fine until I turned the corner around the back of the building and (a few choice words spoken here) after a bit of checking clearances and eyeballing the columns and roof height, I was able to drive thru the pharmacy and even waved at the pharmacist as I went by.
Check everything, and then check everything again, chains, breaker bar, locks, break a way, lights, brakes, awning locked, steps up, stabilizers retracted, storage doors locked, door locked and dead bolted, antenna down, seems like a lot but it will become second nature. Most important of all, HAVE A BLAST!!
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Great advice from everyone. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I just did it last week. Drove home 80 miles from the dealership pulling a 2006 22' International CCT. I took all the back roads I could, started at 5,000' altitude and ended at 8000', got a romping stomping 11 mpg out of my Ford F-150. I had never pulled a large trailer, and it had been yrs since I'd pulled a small boat. My advice is go slow, point your right mirror down some so you can see the trailer right tire(s). This will help keep you off the shoulder and curbs. Pull over to let cars by, even stop to take a break if necessary. Avoid backing up situations as much as possible. Take someone with you as a spotter and co-pilot. You'll find yourself getting more and more at ease as time goes by. I hope you have as much fun as I did. Good luck.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Great advice about the mirror. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
I pick up my AS this Saturday (so excited!!!). Any towing and driving tips f...

I am also a newcomer just have had towed an airstream for the first time.

We installed a propride Hitch and it towed like a dream. We picked up our airstream in Orlando and drove it 1200 miles.

I am not sure if this is good advice but I do know that this will work for me and I cannot speak from a depth of experience however I can tell you this will be my mantra moving forward:

1. I will not not drive at night under any circumstance.

2. I will not push past the point where I become fatigued.

3. I will have a concrete checklist on hand every time I turn on the ignition.

4. I will give myself about 30% more time than needed for each leg.

5. Bring Tylenol and a celebration beer for when I pull in to my destination

6. I did have a tough time dealing with all the trucks on the road but I am hesitant to give any advice on this because I don't know what's right and what's wrong however I'll be posting up some observations and questions in another post.

7. When in doubt or stressed on the road slow down.

Again this will be my set of rules moving forward and I'm sure I'll be adjusting them slightly this is just my feedback from journey number one on our first airstream. It was an amazing venture but not for the faint of heart. I found the journey tested every skill set that I picked up since I was a little lad. I brought a big Zielian tools and ended up needing every single one of them oddly. All of my neighbors were awesome and amazing and chock full of wisdom - all willing to share and help. Good luck in postop after your initial journey to share your experiences.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Congrats!

Best advice I can offer to your question - find a local Commercial Driver License (CDL) training center and see if they offer a safe RV drier course. My wife and I did this the first weekend we had the trailer. So glad we did!

Good luck!

(On edit)

Oh - and your user name...learn how to slow down :-)

Seriously. It's camping. Relax. And you're driving several tons more than before - keep it slow. You'll get there :-)
I just signed up for a CDL RV Course Thanks for the advice
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416462230.943975.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	718.4 KB
ID:	227007

Here's my rig! I wanted to name it "The Burrito" but wifey nixed that. She's such a Star Trek fan and wanted to name it "Voyager". She won.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Congrats. Nice looking rig!

I totally agree, towing at night is a challenge, but with that setup, its not bad.

Traffic is sometimes less hazardous at night--our main incidents (panic stops in heavy traffic) were in broad daylight in rush hour traffic--a bad time to be in Phoenix, or any other big city, IMHO..

Given the choice, i'd tow at night over heavy traffic, but then again, our whole family is a bunch of night owls...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote