Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #1

Calabasas , California
Exclamation I found an old abandoned airstream

Recentely my buddys and I were off roading and we came up to this hidden flat deep in the mountains of california off the coast I would say and I was wondering if anyone could tell me some stuff about it. I dont own it but we plan on restoring it and having gathering around there (friends only just relaxing)

Here are some pictures

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2315/79538009.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2421/80922910.jpg
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3606/14410617.jpg
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6039/99524787.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3213/84350142.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9443/50470201.jpg

Thanks again guys

Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums.
Looks like a 1971-1972 Sovereign 31'.
Is the trailer on property you own? If it's just sitting on land you don't own, and you don't know who it belongs to, you should copy the serial number and check with local law enforcement to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen, and try to find out who owns it. If you start fixin' on it, and the legitimate owner shows up, you could be in trouble.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #3

Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Welcome to the forums.
Looks like a 1971-1972 Sovereign 31'.
Is the trailer on property you own? If it's just sitting on land you don't own, and you don't know who it belongs to, you should copy the serial number and check with local law enforcement to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen, and try to find out who owns it. If you start fixin' on it, and the legitimate owner shows up, you could be in trouble.

Thanks dude
Heres the part that makes me positive that the owner wont come back. I searched up the area on Google Earth. Went back like 4 years or so and found the trailer still sitting there. Now how to get to it. You have to go up a dirt road that is completely messed up (4wd trucks can make it up there though) it becomes a whole bunch of twist, turns, and bumps then you have to drive up this hill through bushes higher than the car and then only do you come to a flat that is also covered in bushes( only knee high and where the trailer sits and around it its leveled. Imagine a coldasac but in the mountains that cant be seen from any road or house. And the lands not ours but thats what my other friend told me to do. Report it to the dmv, say its abandoned and take over legal ownership?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Four years is nothing in relationship to how long Airstreams have sat in the same location and still not be abandoned, and it's not that simple to process an abandoned vehicle claim. You still have to have a legitimate interest in the matter. I suggest you try to find the owner either through the serial number or through the WBCCI numbers I see on the back. I make them out to be 26525. There are several forum members with club information. Hope it works out. Carol
Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #5

Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Four years is nothing in relationship to how long Airstreams have sat in the same location and still not be abandoned, and it's not that simple to process an abandoned vehicle claim. You still have to have a legitimate interest in the matter. I suggest you try to find the owner either through the serial number or through the WBCCI numbers I see on the back. I make them out to be 26525. There are several forum members with club information. Hope it works out. Carol
I guess your right Ill take a look into it
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
cgorw - follow the advice, do all you can to locate the owner. You don't want to get into a world of legal trouble if/when the owner shows up, if there is one. Good luck!
Steven
Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
It might be easier to find the owner of the land it is on and ask them if you can buy it for $100.00. or have it free. Just for hauling it away. After all it would be Grand theft if someone catches you. They have most likely totally written it off by now. They certainly have no love for it. It looks like it's been vandalized and striped. You will most likely need new tires and a big 4 x 4 tow vehicle to get it out of there. Watch out this trailer has very low clearance you could tear out the hold under carriage if your are not careful.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
If it ain't yours it ain't yours. Have to find the owner first. Who owns the property its on?
flintstones
Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Good advice here. Before you spend any money, even trying to move it... contact the owner of the property and see what they know. Get legal ownership before any money goes out of your pocket! If you spend money restoring it and want to do anything with it, you will need title to register the trailer. You will also need a permit to move it unless you can put it on the back of a long trailer...

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Previous owners

In 1976 membership number 26525 was assigned to Micheal and Jane Auten from Van Nuys, California. If that is not the number on the trailer, PM me and I can look up the number in my collection of directories. You might try a Google search based on their names and general location, to find their current address. That is 33 years ago and they well be dead by now. You might try the obits.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have found multiple Aistreams just sitting there in the boonies and have tried to contact the owners by leaving notes, asking neighbors, using the county to find the property owner, etc. Some times the owners respond but more often they don't. In the cases they have the owners usually do not want to sell. The reasons why not are usually: I'm going to fix it up, it was my dad's, I use it for storage, or it's worth a gazillion dollars.

But don't give up. Both my current Streams I have found sitting in the middle of a field. My 62 truned out to have gone around the world with WBCCI in 63. I have also found good homes for a few other abused and neglected Airstreams.

Also, If you get this Airstream you can count on putting a lot more money into it than you might think.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There's no question it has been vandalized. It may well have been stolen many years ago. When whomever stole it was done with it, perhaps spending a summer living on this remote land, they trashed it and left. Check with the County assessor to see who owns the land. Check to see what Cal. law is on abandoned property. A private landowner may have rights to abandoned property on their land. If it's on public land, there may be lots of bureaucracy to get through, but it may be possible to buy it from the gov't. There should be numbers on it to allow you to trace the VIN. If stolen, an insurance company may have rights to it.

Private property rights are not easily extinguished and you will have to do some legwork. If the landowner owns it, they, like Lumatic says, may not want to part with it even though the elements will destroy it in not too many years.

Whoever towed it there probably did not care too much what damage may have happened to it, and that makes me think it was stolen. A private landowner may take money from you and they may not have legal title either, so there's some legal sorting out to do.

Good luck. Rescuing a badly treated Airstream will get you much good karma, and it will not be simple or cheap.

Gene
Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Maybe I'm confused here, but it doesn't sound to me like he wants to restore this unit to the road, he wants to use it in place as a cabin. If its on private land, that probably wont fly for obvious reasons; if its on public land, it wont fly either in my opinion.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hard to say what's wanted. If it's been on public land for at least 4 years, the gov't hasn't wanted to do anything about it or hasn't seen it.

Gene