Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I feel like I'm living in Ground Zero

Well we certainly have taken it on the chin with the nasty weather here in the Midwest in the last 6 weeks. We've had tornadoes touch ground just north of St. Louis, south of St. Louis, and now just 11 miles east of downtown yesterday afternoon. The weather guy locally says we are going to stay in the pattern for the next 3 weeks. Next severe storms come crashing in on Thursday.

I just found some archive pictures of a hail storm that skipped through the metro area in April 2001. This was really big hail, some as big as softballs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-028S.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	20143   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-030S.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	20144  

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I can't imagine a day by day exsitance, with having to fear tornadoes day and night. People think that being in a quake zone is crazy, I beg to differ on that. May all of you be safe from the wraths of mother nature. Jeff

Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Hey Jack?

You certainly got my attention! When I seen those pictures, my first thought was OH NO! Something happened to your trailer! Well, I'm glad everything is ok but it certainly gave me an aluminum fright, it did!

That was indeed a nasty storm that came through last night. I watched it for most of the night on the computer. I noticed the weather pattern and it looked as though we were located in the eye of a large storm for a while.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
65gt, April thru June are the most active months, but there's always the chance for them from April to October into November. The storms seem to be getting much worse and more frequent in the past few years, when you have those big storm cells coming at you, it gets pretty nerve wracking. All you can do is hope and pray that they go around you or fall apart before that get to you.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
It was a bad day for tornadoes. Coincidence that it happened on the same day as the outbreak 32 years ago that spawned 1000 tornadoes in a single night, killed 318 people, and destroyed the town of Xenia, Ohio.

There were actually 148 touchdowns, but we were more prone to exaggeration back then.

I was a fireman in a nearby town. I don't ever want to see another F5.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
65gt, April thru June are the most active months, but there's always the chance for them from April to October into November. The storms seem to be getting much worse and more frequent in the past few years, when you have those big storm cells coming at you, it gets pretty nerve wracking. All you can do is hope and pray that they go around you or fall apart before that get to you.
We had one hit here in January of 1966. Took out over 300 homes in a subdivision in the suburbs. Was a strange day, it got up to 80 degrees.
The mid portion of the country is a real mixing bowl with the warm air coming up from the Gulf hitting those cold fronts coming down from the north, and a strong west to east jet stream and you can get a real twist in the atmosphere and voilą, severe weather.

You know though its to each his own, because I can't see living down on the Gulf coasts with the threats of hurricanes. I figure the odds of me getting hit by a twister are a lot lower than one of those monster storms. When they say its coming down there, it is. When they throw the warnings out here, odds are you still won't get hit.

But to tell you that our guts don't get into a churn when those sirens go off would be an understatement.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
1966 in Kansas....I went thru that Tornado in Topeka Kansas....and I mean THRU it. Up till that time I thought a tornado was just a big California dust devil. Now I live on the Oklahoma Texas state line. First thing in the house plan was the Tornado Room. With a new (old) Airstream, first planning includes a hail shelter for it.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Yeah, you folks in Oklahoma and that northern Texas area have more than your share of weather. I think that storm shelters, or basements should be mandatory in that part of the country. I agree with the hail shelter also.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 04-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I've lived in the south Pacific and been through seven typhoons in the mid to late '70s, the most notable Supertyphoon Pamela. Although I arrived two days after the storm, I lived in it's aftermath for three years.

I have been through many, many relatively minor earthquakes while living in California, and was in the state for the Northridge and Loma Prieta quakes (although I wasn't near either epicenter at the time of the quakes) and lived with the aftermath of the Loma Prieta quake as did everyone who lived near the Bay Area in the early '90s.

As a 13 year old in 1968 I also lived through one of the most violent storm nights in the history of Iowa when over a hundred tornados touched down over northwest Iowa in one night. I was with my folks in a 16' Winnebago camper on the shore of Big Spirit Lake in the Iowa Great Lakes.

I have also been responsible for calling out the weather watchers in our city, and telling the "powers that be" when to push the tornado warning sirens. I still do weather watching, but the actual duties fall to the fire department in the city in which I live now.

Of all of the weather and geologically related catastrophes, I much prefer to live in an area that only has to put up with violent thunderstorms and the occasional tornado. Those events, even though dramatic and potentially devastating, are small-area events. The odds of any given person being personally and physically affected by a tornado are actually pretty small. A prime example of assessing the actual risk: just think about how many houses there are standing in the midwest that are over a hundred years old that have never been damaged by a tornado.

Recovery assistance in a tornado is also more readily available since the area affected tends to be relatively small in comparison to areas affected by earthquakes and cyclonic storms like hurricanes and typhoons. As Katrina clearly showed, relief efforts can take months and years rather than hours and days for that type of storm.

Give me a the good ol' Midwest any day...

Roger

p.s. Oh, Jack... in your lamentations, don't forget that the largest and most violent earthquake ever to hit the North American continent was the New Madrid quake in 1811/1812!

http://hsv.com/genlintr/newmadrd/
Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi Jack, Just want you to know that I am thinking about you and all others today in the central US. The weather channel say's round two and almost the same pattern as the last storms that all of you went thru. I just want you to know that I am praying for all of you. For your safty, and also the safty of your loved ones. God Bless.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #11
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Batten down the hatches tonight! Sounds like we're in for it again. NOAA is saying that a front will stall just south of I-80 tonight and that the heaviest rains will be on the Hwy 30 corridor... unless it stalls a little further south of I-80 in which case the rains will fall heaviest ON the I-80 corridor. I live nine miles north of I-80 and ten miles south of Hwy 30... looks like we get drenched either way!

Roger
Old 04-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I Do Live At Ground Zero

Reading all these posts and being at sea brings back flashes of last August when I was out here watching Fox News and seeing the MS Gulf Coast being stuck. I hope all of you make it through the weather situations in your areas. Many people don't know what it feels like being out of touch for over a week and wondering how loved ones are and how safe your home is.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
TN. tornadoes

While hunting this weekend there were several tornados that went through our area. One was about 4 miles from us. It destroyed houses, ripped roofs off a number of businesses and homes. We were lucky because it wasn't hailing at our campsite but it was both north and south of us. Some hunters came into the checking station and said they had been run out of the woods by the hail. Some hail was up to 2" in diameter but reached about softball size with the tornado that hit Gallatin, TN. northeast of us. All in all, 12 people died when the weather spawning those tornados went through this weekend.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy Toto.... I don't think we're in Kansas...

For those of us who have lived in Kansas forever, tornadoes have always been a fact of life. However, us locals have definitely noticed that the season has become longer and the storms more furious. So far the Kansas City Metro area has not been hit with much, but it was in 2003 and will be again and again.

Like "Melody Ranch", I remember June 6, 1966 when the giant one went through Topeka, because after it was finished with Topeka, it decided that we needed a whalloping too. Us newly marrieds were standing at the west kitchen door watching the lightning (the electricity had gone out), when twin twisters popped up over the hill. That is an experience that I will never forget. We have since lived to tell about two others in our married days, but as children both experienced at least two.

Preparation and awareness is the key to survival AND full coverage property insurance!!! May we all stay safe!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote