Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
I decided not to go

After speaking with the owner of the 66 Safari a few times I decided to pass on this one. It sounded like what we were looking for, an average condition Airstream,but they were unsure if the axle had been replaced,unsure if the LPG worked, the window by the Door had been busted and replaced with Lexan,all the screens were missing and window openers were also missing. This may not have been that bad,but they were originally asking 6,500 & when I asked if they would negotiate the price or was that firm, they said they would take 6,000,but not a penny less. I would like to hear from AFM's if you think I did the right thing. Still looking in N.W. Georgia.
Regards,
Eric

Old 08-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
How was the insides. If it had already been restored, it might. It be a bad price. I'm guessing it hadn't. What I would do is give them your number and in 6-12 month when they haven't found a sucker to give you a call.

People for some reason think there worth a lot In crappy condition, and also think they only need a little work to make them worth a fortune. They are wrong.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. And if you can't test the fridge or furnace wow. Those alone could cost over a $1000 to replace plus $300+ for a window. Axle $800. Bet it needs tires too. Yeah good decision.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
It really depends on how bad you want a certain vintage/model, how much $ you have for this, how handy you are, how willing you are to wait and/or travel a great distance from home to look at other ones, how long the Safari has been on the market and how motivated the seller might be (or get, as time goes by), etc.
I would think that a '66 Safari would be a pretty desirable unit, assuming the frame and shell are in good condition. Unfortunately, the frame is hard to fully inspect with the belly pan on, and units that have spent a lot of time near the ocean quite often seem to have a lot of corrosion that requires varying degrees of repair.
So- I would not buy any AS without giving it a thorough visual inspection first, including crawling underneath. Good luck with your quest!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I think that you did the right thing. There are deals to be had and this didn't sound like one IMO. Keep your eyes on the lookout and and cash in hand. You'll find the "right one".

Kevin.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
Thanks guys for the replies and all the valuable information. The inside was original except the original dinette table that folds down to make the bed was missing and the current owner built a replacement. The refrigerator had also been replaced,but not sure of brand or type. They said it had new curtains,cushions and upholstery. They had put down new carpet over existing tile floor. They said the axle was probably original. It did have new tires. I really appreciate all responses.
Regards,
Eric
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
When shopping for a trailer, trust your instinct. If it does not seem right to you, walk. When you find the right trailer, you will know it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Good choice. I found a '66 safari in SW SC that needed everything, axle, tires, floor, a couple of windows, all the appliances were missing, most of the wood supports and cabinet s were in it. It needed one segment on the front and a few side panels. But it had a title. :-) it was $2000 delivered to my door. That was a week ago and I still haven't jumped on it. I'll wait a few weeks to let the excitement of finding it wear off and if I still have to have it, I'll make the call. Sometimes you need to walk away and sleep on it.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
Thanks Richard, I have heard that said before,so it must be true!
Regards,
Eric
Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
It sounds like it doesn't need a whole lot,but for 6,000 dollars IMP, it should be more intact and everything on the inside working like it should. They said they never tried to open the windows,they just used the A/C. They also said they had not tried the stove w/LPG, that they cooked on a portable stove outside.
Eric
Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon-N-Air View Post
It sounds like it doesn't need a whole lot,but for 6,000 dollars IMP, it should be more intact and everything on the inside working like it should. They said they never tried to open the windows,they just used the A/C. They also said they had not tried the stove w/LPG, that they cooked on a portable stove outside.
Eric
Take what ever the seller says with a grain of salt. If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not the truth. Never tried the stove or open the window???

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
I agree Richard, I found that a little hard to believe myself.
Eric
Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
In my world, purchase price on a toy is a function of the heart. Do I love it? Or an I talking myself into it? I don't buy toys based on what I think someone else will pay for it. I shop, know my market, and when I see exactly what I want, I buy it.

To analyze the purchase price I just need to look at three things. #1. Do I have the cash to pay cash? #2. Is the price above market, or on market? #3. If the price is above market (comparable sales), can I write off the difference (in my mind) as "opportunity costs"?

If I'm not willing to pay an "opportunity cost" premium for a toy that I'd like to own, and the only thing stopping me is the money involved as a part of the "opportunity cost", then I may not be a buyer . . . I'm called a "looker".

In sales 101 our first lesson was to separate the lookers from the buyers. I've taught sales courses. My students are taught to close 5 times in 5 minutes. Closes can be soft, they can be alternative choice, they can be hard, but I bet after the first two closes I can spot a buyer and eliminate a looker.

When I bought my trailer, the seller was real nice but not a trained sales person. I closed on him 3 times in about 10 minutes and bought the trailer. He had been trying to sell it for 2 years.

Moral of the story . . . sometimes the buyer must assume the role of the seller and reverse the process. The TV show American Pickers is a series of good case studies in how to buy from an unsophisticated seller.

Never ask a question that could generate a "no".
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This is a good idea of what you should be paying, You could even show it to any seller..

Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.
Regards,
Eric