Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Girl

We have an acrylic door panel that we had made to keep the dogs from pushing on the screen. It lasted about one season before the corners of the panel started chipping away where the screws were, as it was a jerry-rigged deal. We've heard they make a nice door panel for this purpose. So we might as well get that put on at the same time, since we've been able so far to keep the screen in perfect condition.
Hi Cherie,

I'll be interested in seeing a pic of that when you get it back. I didn't know they made something like that, but it sounds like a good idea. On one trip last year we were stopped in a church parking lot, cooking lunch in the trailer, when some wandering dogs came by and spotted our dogs inside the trailer, and a little rukus ensued at the screen door. Luckily they ran off as soon as we yelled at them, but the screen could have easily been torn out. I would have felt better with a sheet of acrylic between them!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Another use..

Quote:
I would have felt better with a sheet of acrylic between them!
This type of feature, as installed, could be used to serve as a barrier to keep the chill of the day out, while at the same time, permitting a view of the outside. Acrylic sheets would have to be cut to form fit both the top and bottom of the screened in area.
You can take your templates and/or measurement to Home Depot and have it cut.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Although this is no real consolation, on our way home from the dealer with our new '04 A/S a rock hit the front of the unit 1" above the rock guard, not very noticable but !! Then, while putting the Safari away for the 1st time there 'was' (heavy on the WAS) a tree branch in our alley that marked/scratched about 10' of the curb side. We paid to have the mark/scratch buffed out and now you can call me an 'arborist' ! Anyone need any trees trimmed ??!!

BTW: We plan to have some warranty done at Jackson Ctr. & they said if it takes more than a day they have hook-ups at the factory (n/c) while they are working on your trailer.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I used .090" plexiglass from Lowes and made a template for the screen door. Two pieces one for the top and another for the bottom. They attach from the outside. I couldn't find any readymade clips to hold them in place so I got some alluminum threshold made for vynial floors and cut it into 1/2" wide strips drilled a hole for a sheetmetal screw and used this to hold the plexiglass in place. I wish I could say that this was an original idea of mine but I copied it from one of our members. When the weather breaks I will take some photos if anyone is interested. If I were to do the project again I would make the Plexiglass a little heavier. It comes in handy on cool days with a lot of sunlight and hot days where you still want some light coming in. Installation and removal is about 5 minutes, and I store mine behind the couch.
Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Rather than plexiglass for a project like this use something like Lexan. Plexiglass loves to crack when any stress is placed on it, say like when drilling or sawing it, or maybe bending it. Lexan stuff is almost impossible to crack, but drills and saws and bends easily. Real tough stuff. It is a slightly more susceptible to scratches though.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Elliott I agree, I guess its just my age anything that goes in windows and you can see through that isn't glass is plexiglass. Lexan is a little more expensive but a far better material, maybe even a little smoked tint would be nice.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:57 PM   #27
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Screen door protection

Sorry - no pics available right now - but I used (on the lower inside of the screen door) 1/2" mesh dark green vinyl coated wire - any Home Depot/Lowes has it, 3/4"x 1/2" aluminum angle for the sides, 3/4" aluminum strips for the top and bottom and aluminum sheet metal screws for a frame - looks very nice, works very good and lets the air through. Should last a long time & if necessary, wire can be replaced or everything can be removed.

An unforseen plus it that it even reinforces the screen against presssure from the outside too.

My concern was not so much having the dog mess up the easily replaced screen - but going through it and getting lost in a park.
doh is offline   Reply With Quote