Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
I-95 or...

NJ to FL with 3 kids.

I'd like to stay away from I-95 where possible, at least for a large part of the route.

We leave Nov. 1 and going to spend two nights on the road. Any suggestions?
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I-81. Less traffic, much more scenic. I just drove down it from New York ( 1000 islands), to VA/TN. Not sure what you'd hook up with from southern VA.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Once into Ga, you can get on to US 301. This will take you to central Fl. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
How much of a diversion are you willing to take? Western or Eastern side of Florida?

My first instinct was to think 81. From you that means taking 76 out to PA and then cutting down. You'll avoid Baltimore and DC doing that but add Philly and more miles, so it might be a wash.

You could also go through Baltimore and DC (if you time it right it's no big deal) and then cut over to 81. That's a good route for Western Florida.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
How much of a diversion are you willing to take? Western or Eastern side of Florida?

My first instinct was to think 81. From you that means taking 76 out to PA and then cutting down. You'll avoid Baltimore and DC doing that but add Philly and more miles, so it might be a wash.

You could also go through Baltimore and DC (if you time it right it's no big deal) and then cut over to 81. That's a good route for Western Florida.

Thanks Scott - headed to Disney. Is really like to avoid the cities if at all possible.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
I do it often from CT, Take 287 to exit 78 West, To 81 South, To 77 South, To 26 South (in SC) will bring you to I95. It adds about 100 miles to my trip to Venice FL but avoids NY and DC. Worth it in my opinion.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I agree with weirdstuff, 81 is the way to go. Up and back from FL to CT this late Spring, less hassle. More hilly but doable, no problem. Go change of pace from the 95 crowd.

We stayed at campgrounds, Walmart, Elks Clubs and a Gander Mountain Store parking lots, good to go! Other options include Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's, do a Google for location. These are the options to get FL fast. It seems that November 1 will be cool for campgrounds with pools etc. Get to FL quick and enjoy the warmth!

Where in FL?

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The Route through the DelMarVa is an option, culminating with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (not sure on the propane restrictions but I think it is do-able). Lots of stop and go with lights though.

I-81 is nice but you have to cut over to Harrisburg from SJ to pick it up or go through Northern Maryland / WV. From there, you can pick up I-77 through Charlotte and on to Columbia SC via I-26 and then pickup I-95 which isn't too bad, or take I-85 through Atlanta and I-75 down to Macon where you can pick up I-16 over to I-95 in Savannah (this is actually a pretty quiet route but getting through Macon construction is a challenge). Taking the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge parkway will lead you to the same routes. I prefer to avoid Charlotte and Atlanta if at all possible. Be aware that Georgia has very few rest areas anymore so plan your stops (SB is better than NB in this regard).

Once into FL on I-95, you can take a short jog over to 301 via 295W to I-10W. This will bring you into Ocala north of the TP. This is a favorite route for most snowbirds towing 5th wheels. Just make sure you watch your speed through Waldo and Lawtey. AAA has designated this area the TOP speed trap in America although recent events have put some pressure on the local law enforcement to amend their practices.

When I travel to SJ, I prefer the DelMarVa, but I am usually not in any hurry. It adds a couple of hours on average... But then again, the BWP also can be extremely variable depending on traffic. I-95 through Megapolis, which now stretches through DC,down through Richmond can be very frustrating at Rush hour(s). SC has the cheapest gas so fuel up there if you can.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog1 View Post
I do it often from CT, Take 287 to exit 78 West, To 81 South, To 77 South, To 26 South (in SC) will bring you to I95. It adds about 100 miles to my trip to Venice FL but avoids NY and DC. Worth it in my opinion.
With this route, I suggest taking I-485 to bypass Charlotte on the west side of the city. My GPS never suggests this because it's 3 miles longer, but it is almost always at least as fast as taking I-77 through town, and it is usually much more pleasant.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We often stop to visit our daughter in Baltimore on the way to Florida. It's an easy connection from Balt. over to I 81 or a nice drive through central VA on 29/15 and work your way to 81. If you like 301 is a good ride with a few stop lights but not bad at all to Richmond then onto I 95. We mostly go 78 - 81- 77 in Va.

I, like you, will go to great lengths to avoid 95 through the DC area but below Richmond it's not bad at all. We've taken 301 all the way through Georgia and it's a nice ride. SO, you have lots of choices.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your choice on getting to the Delaware Memorial bridge. After the bridge down 95 to 896 just before the Delaware toll. 896 becomes 301 and follow it about 15 miles past Annapolis to where it brakes off of 50 at Bowie. 301 south into Va. and around the Bowling Green bypass. Watch for 301 to turn right at the end of the bypass, Take 301 south to 295 east around Richmond to 95 south. At this point 95 is no worst than any road in Jersey.

Do not use EZ Pass on the Delaware bridge as you will be charge commercial rates if you do.

At Yulee F. take 301 to Ocala and 75

There is a campground, South Forty, just east of exit 41 in Va. that is open year round. Crooked River State Park in Ga.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Do not use EZ Pass on the Delaware bridge as you will be charge commercial rates if you do.
What's the option? Per the website RV's pay $5 per axle.

Just as a point of reference, I recently drove to DC with the Airstream and paid $20 at the bridge ($5 per axle x 4), $12 at the Baltimore Tunnel, and $7 between the two. That's $39 in tolls plus whatever it costs you on the NJ Turnpike if you hit that.

I'm more north but could have gone out through PA and dropped down. Pretty sure that would avoid almost all tolls. Maybe takes me 30 miles out of the way, adding $10 in gas.

Saving $39 in tolls minus $10 in gas leaves me $29 saved. Pays for a night in a campground should I desire.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
In NY I was able to call the EZ pass service center and verbally request a separate EZ pass tag that is linked to a non-commercial charge for a passenger vehicle (F250) towing a trailer with 2 axles. It is blue and comes with a storage sleeve so only 1 tag is charged when I travel. Have been able to use it all up and down the east coast. That has kept me from getting commercial charges.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
As a llife long VA resident and hater of all things I-95 north of Petersburg/Richmond....I agree with taking the Eastern Shore Route thru the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Tourist traffic in the fall is less, teh drive should be good. From CBBT, Take US 58 to Emporia pick up I-95 there. You are well south of Richmond there and I've found I-95 south from that point pretty good.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia

Yeah, 485 on the west side of Charlotte is awesome. Wide smooth road, not to congested, and airplanes taking off and landing at Charlotte Douglas airport is right beside 485. Its an excellent show to watch as you cruise through there. It sure beats 77 through the center of the city ! (although they paved the southern end in Charlotte)
77 from Charlotte to Columbia is non-eventful and good road to.
I-26 from Columbia to 1-95 needs to be repaved, and widened to six lanes.
It is busy all the time. A lot of trucks hauling containers from the port at Charleston. They should have done a lot more cut & Fill when they built that road.
Have a safe one !
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
What's the option? Per the website RV's pay $5 per axle.
The toll for a car and trailer with 4 axles is $10.00 if paid in cash and $25.00 if paid via EZ pass. The EZ Pass lanes read axles not vehicle type.

Current Tolls

You can get a credit by calling your pass issuer and I do use EZ Pass when traffic is backed up at the cash booths.

The tolls you were reading are for the upper bridges on the Delaware and they are even worst. At Easton my toll should be $2.00 if paid in cash. EZ Pass is $11.65.

You have to be careful out there as our government will take you for a ride if you let them.

The route I suggested above is somewhat pricey because Maryland has jacked the tolls on there 2 bridges on 301 that everyone pays commercial rates. $5.00 per axle. However I find it worth it overall.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
If you choose to come down I-81, you can take I-75 S. then take I-4 when you get to Orlando. It will take you through Atlanta, but that is nothing like DC. Easy, scenic drive.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Thanks all.

I think I'll check out 81 and maybe hop on the blue ridge parkway for at least a stretch of it. When my route is final, I'll post it up for some feedback to make sure I'm not missing anything.

On the way down to FL, I'll have just the truck so we can make decisions as we go.

On the way home, I think I'll stick to a little bit firmer plan as it will be my first trip with the airstream behind me. I've towed clumsy boats that were heavier (but 5' shorter) than this airstream. So at least I have that under my belt. I'll take a third night rest on the way home if I need it.

Thanks again everyone who chimed in - super helpful.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I always opted for I 81 when I could, a lot easier and a lot less stress in a large vehicle.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
And, to Howie's post if I read his chart correctly. Getting an EZ pass linked to your tow vehicle with two axles would be $12.00 rather than $5 per axle commercial rate.

So, calling your EZ pass source and talking with them might get you an option you can live with. I did here in NY (which trust me is not the norm to get an option that saves you money).

I now have an EZ pass I use exclusively with the trailer (blue) and pay the lower tolls versus cash lanes while towing the trailer. It has worked, recently worked (two weeks ago) and will hopefully work into the future....subject to the will of NY EZ Pass administration.

The biggest problem is me remembering to pay attention and remembering to have the blue (trailer behind so toll on 4 axles in total) or white (no trailer and lower toll for 2 axles) in the window with the other stowed in its little "no charge" bag.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote