Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
If you choose to come down I-81, you can take I-75 S. then take I-4 when you get to Orlando. It will take you through Atlanta, but that is nothing like DC. Easy, scenic drive.
I agree with kposey, I75 is an entertaining road, much more so than any of the southern Interstates we have taken. Of course, it pays to time yourself going around the huge cities (Atlanta is the only one I can think of at the moment), but there's lots to see.

It's worth getting the book that is written (and updated) for it. Lots of hints as to things to see and some to avoid, including speed traps. Along Interstate-75
Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.

Greg Anderson

Old 09-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Hey Jim, what's 301 like? On the Map it looks like a nice alternative to 95. Are there lights and stops?
I have used US-301 many times between Orangeburg SC and Ocala FL. I have also traveled through the northern part up into NC, but I'm not to familiar with that part. The section between Orangeburg and Ocala will add about an hour to your travel time, compared to I-26 and I-95. There's both 2 lane and 4 lane but traffic is ok down to I-10. From I-10 south truck traffic is moderate, but not heavy. From Ocala south it's stop and go between the small towns, so I jump over to I-75 then take the toll road south.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The toll for a car and trailer with 4 axles is $10.00 if paid in cash and $25.00 if paid via EZ pass. The EZ Pass lanes read axles not vehicle type.

Current Tolls

You can get a credit by calling your pass issuer and I do use EZ Pass when traffic is backed up at the cash booths.

The tolls you were reading are for the upper bridges on the Delaware and they are even worst. At Easton my toll should be $2.00 if paid in cash. EZ Pass is $11.65.

You have to be careful out there as our government will take you for a ride if you let them.

The route I suggested above is somewhat pricey because Maryland has jacked the tolls on there 2 bridges on 301 that everyone pays commercial rates. $5.00 per axle. However I find it worth it overall.

I called ez pass today and they said they have a trailer "package" that is free. It charges a discount rate when you link it to your account.

I have no idea what that means in real life though...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
I called ez pass today and they said they have a trailer "package" that is free. It charges a discount rate when you link it to your account.

I have no idea what that means in real life though...
Nor I.

There are dozens of EZ Pass issuers in the northeast. I do know that the authority that covers the bridges around Philly, not encluding the delaware Mommorial bridge, does offer a discount to seniors for travel on off hours. The tolls for any given roadway or bridge are set by the authority administrating that facility so be cautious of any blanket statement.

Maryland went bananas last year and raised all tolls on the 2 bridges on 301 to reflect the axle count. That more than doubled my tolls on them

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
So would it be best to pay with cash? Sounds like that's how you get the best shake.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Until you know the the system at a given toll booth I would pay cash.

Now that said I will use the fly through EZ Pass lane at a toll booth that I know overcharges if traffic is backed up. Then call for a credit when I get home. That is one of the advantages of being retired and having the time

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote