Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia

Yeah, 485 on the west side of Charlotte is awesome. Wide smooth road, not to congested, and airplanes taking off and landing at Charlotte Douglas airport is right beside 485. Its an excellent show to watch as you cruise through there. It sure beats 77 through the center of the city ! (although they paved the southern end in Charlotte)
77 from Charlotte to Columbia is non-eventful and good road to.
I-26 from Columbia to 1-95 needs to be repaved, and widened to six lanes.
It is busy all the time. A lot of trucks hauling containers from the port at Charleston. They should have done a lot more cut & Fill when they built that road.
Have a safe one !

Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
What's the option? Per the website RV's pay $5 per axle.
The toll for a car and trailer with 4 axles is $10.00 if paid in cash and $25.00 if paid via EZ pass. The EZ Pass lanes read axles not vehicle type.

Current Tolls

You can get a credit by calling your pass issuer and I do use EZ Pass when traffic is backed up at the cash booths.

The tolls you were reading are for the upper bridges on the Delaware and they are even worst. At Easton my toll should be $2.00 if paid in cash. EZ Pass is $11.65.

You have to be careful out there as our government will take you for a ride if you let them.

The route I suggested above is somewhat pricey because Maryland has jacked the tolls on there 2 bridges on 301 that everyone pays commercial rates. $5.00 per axle. However I find it worth it overall.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
If you choose to come down I-81, you can take I-75 S. then take I-4 when you get to Orlando. It will take you through Atlanta, but that is nothing like DC. Easy, scenic drive.
Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Longport , New Jersey
Thanks all.

I think I'll check out 81 and maybe hop on the blue ridge parkway for at least a stretch of it. When my route is final, I'll post it up for some feedback to make sure I'm not missing anything.

On the way down to FL, I'll have just the truck so we can make decisions as we go.

On the way home, I think I'll stick to a little bit firmer plan as it will be my first trip with the airstream behind me. I've towed clumsy boats that were heavier (but 5' shorter) than this airstream. So at least I have that under my belt. I'll take a third night rest on the way home if I need it.

Thanks again everyone who chimed in - super helpful.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I always opted for I 81 when I could, a lot easier and a lot less stress in a large vehicle.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Pleasant Valley , New York
And, to Howie's post if I read his chart correctly. Getting an EZ pass linked to your tow vehicle with two axles would be $12.00 rather than $5 per axle commercial rate.

So, calling your EZ pass source and talking with them might get you an option you can live with. I did here in NY (which trust me is not the norm to get an option that saves you money).

I now have an EZ pass I use exclusively with the trailer (blue) and pay the lower tolls versus cash lanes while towing the trailer. It has worked, recently worked (two weeks ago) and will hopefully work into the future....subject to the will of NY EZ Pass administration.

The biggest problem is me remembering to pay attention and remembering to have the blue (trailer behind so toll on 4 axles in total) or white (no trailer and lower toll for 2 axles) in the window with the other stowed in its little "no charge" bag.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Firedog1 View Post
I do it often from CT, Take 287 to exit 78 West, To 81 South, To 77 South, To 26 South (in SC) will bring you to I95. It adds about 100 miles to my trip to Venice FL but avoids NY and DC. Worth it in my opinion.
I'll second that route - nice mountain terrain and relatively uncrowded interstate (compared to the I-95 rat race)

I've run up and down I-95 at least a hundred times. Nothing good about it. It is direct, can be fast, but it can also be miserably slow around DC.

Even if you stay on interstate the whole time - I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley will make it worthwhile.
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a standard auto EZ-Pass issued here in NJ. I use it for both towing and non-towing driving with my Dodge Ram pickup. I have only encountered a toll charge error at one crossing and it has happened multiple times. Enough so that I have finally figured out the cause and a solution. When crossing from NJ into PA using Rt. 78 there is a toll plaza with the high speed EZ-Pass lanes. When using the high speed lane they
miss-charge me the higher commercial truck rate of $16.00. If I use the toll plaza
EZ-Pass I am charged correctly at $2.00 for my truck and 2 axel trailer. In the past, when charged incorrectly, I needed to call the charging agency and after protesting the charge they credit my account and all's good. I am not a heavy EZ-Pass user so it's pretty easy for me to check my account and monitor the charges. So for me it's easy and usually accurately manages my usage both with and without the trailer. Just a note I have also used the Delaware Mem. Bridge with no issue regarding the toll charge.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #23
planning for full time...
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You can get a credit by calling your pass issuer and I do use EZ Pass when traffic is backed up at the cash booths.
Thanks. I contacted them via the on-line portal. They said they'd get back to me within 10 days...
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #24
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Scott. You mentioned earlier here that you were charged $12 at the Baltimore tunnel with the AS. Was that a mistake ???? Or not. The baltimore tunnels have restricted propane and therefore most all RV's for many years. Or, do you travel without any propane tanks. With my trailer I often go south on 95 through PA. and avoid the DMB toll but they get you in Del. The Delaware toll is pretty easy to go around and coming northbound the MD toll is a little longer to go around but worth it I think.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Another option to avoid the interstates would be US-29. I travel that road often when going to/from DC, from I-66 to I-85.
If you take this route, where Business I-85 and US-29 merge in Greensboro, go south on Bus. I-85 to I-73 south (follows old US-220). I-73 and I-74 merge south of Greensboro. Traffic on I-73/I-74 is always very light. Continue on I-74 to SC-38. SC-38 brings you to I-95 at Florence. SC-38 is two lane in NC for about 10 miles then changes to 4 lane at Bennettsville, SC. I think you will find this route very pleasant. Except for the merge at Greensboro I doubt you will encounter any heavy traffic.

If you decide to take the I-81 and Blue Ridge Parkway option, I would advise you to take US-220 south at Roanoke instead of going further west to I-77. Using US-220, you will avoid the steep grade coming off of the mountains (I-77 is 6 lanes and has heavy trucks) and also avoid the traffic at Charlotte NC and avoid the congestion on I-26 from Columbia SC southward. US 220 becomes I-73 at Greensboro. I-73 is not completed from I-40 at Greensboro and northward. To avoid going through Greensboro you can bypass most of it by taking NC-68 just north of Greensboro, to I-40, then (~10 miles) east to I-73 south. Or optionally continue on NC-68 to I-74 south at High Point NC. (Oak Hollow campground at High Point is near this intersection)

add edit: I think you will find all of the NPS campgrounds on the BRP closed in November.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
If you do take take I-81. There is a potato chip factory at Winchester, VA. "Route 11 Chips" I think.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
Longport , New Jersey
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Once into Ga, you can get on to US 301. This will take you to central Fl. Jim

Hey Jim, what's 301 like? On the Map it looks like a nice alternative to 95. Are there lights and stops?
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
301 in s ga. Small towns, two and four lanes, easy for me driving. Definitely dif than I95. Once into Fl watch your speed, mostly four lane all the way to Ocala. Again a lot dif than the interstate. In ocala best to bypass to I 75 south. AAA uses this bypass, or used to. You can also pick up rt 40 east and go to Daytona and I95 or I4. All this in Ocala. Or you can continue on 301 but that's a hassle. Depends on your destination once you get this far south. I live in Gainesville and use 301 to get to Tybee Island. We use 441 to go to n ga and switch to 23 to get to Ohio once in n. Ga. Jim

avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote