Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Dyoung59's Avatar
 
1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 29
hurricanes

I was wondering how does an Airstream do in a hurricane? Should I tie it down somehow, I know to move it away from the trees and flying objects. If I need to tie it down what is the best way? We have a tropical storm now but it will not be half as bad as a hurricane.
__________________

__________________
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
goshawks00's Avatar

 
1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 769
I suppose it depends on how good your ins. is<G> Short of that the best move would be several hundred miles away.
__________________

__________________
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,651
Blog Entries: 13
We went through a tropical storm at Cape Hatteras a couple of years ago. Filled the water, black and grey filled to 3/4, stabilizers down, left it hooked up to the truck.

Gusts to about 65. No problems, just a little bouncy ride.

Having gone through Andrew in Miami (with massive damage to my stick house), I can say that a Hurricane is a whole different matter. Which is why I spend my summers in Wyoming.

Mike
__________________
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Dyoung59's Avatar
 
1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
We went through a tropical storm at Cape Hatteras a couple of years ago. Filled the water, black and grey filled to 3/4, stabilizers down, left it hooked up to the truck.

Gusts to about 65. No problems, just a little bouncy ride.

Having gone through Andrew in Miami (with massive damage to my stick house), I can say that a Hurricane is a whole different matter. Which is why I spend my summers in Wyoming.

Mike
Great information thanks
__________________
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
Dyoung59's Avatar
 
1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
I suppose it depends on how good your ins. is<G> Short of that the best move would be several hundred miles away.
I guess it is time to get insurance. Just got the title a few weeks ago and working out the bugs before the maiden voyage. Thanks
__________________
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
The wind coming your way should be no problem but do not be complacent. Your trailer is in more danger from flying debris or a snapped tree. My 2005 was hit by my gate which swung open in Isaac, which was my fault as I should have secured the gate better; I now have a Hurricane proof gate in place.

The primary roll our trailer plays in life is for Hurricane evacuation, secondary is vacation .Of the 3 trailers listed below two have been used multiple times for evacuation the new one not yet. We get out early and try to avoid the path of the storm, tornadoes and snapping trees are just as dangerous as the storm itself. We are very careful where we park when we evacuate, avoid pine trees. BTW it is very nice to have a nice trailer to stay in that you can run on a small generator when the power is out for days.

Good Luck Stay Safe.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoung59 View Post
I guess it is time to get insurance. Just got the title a few weeks ago and working out the bugs before the maiden voyage. Thanks
You may not get insurance on the trailer with a named storm in the area, you may have waited to long.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Dyoung59's Avatar
 
1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
The wind coming your way should be no problem but do not be complacent. Your trailer is in more danger from flying debris or a snapped tree. My 2005 was hit by my gate which swung open in Isaac, which was my fault as I should have secured the gate better; I now have a Hurricane proof gate in place.

The primary roll our trailer plays in life is for Hurricane evacuation, secondary is vacation .Of the 3 trailers listed below two have been used multiple times for evacuation the new one not yet. We get out early and try to avoid the path of the storm, tornadoes and snapping trees are just as dangerous as the storm itself. We are very careful where we park when we evacuate, avoid pine trees. BTW it is very nice to have a nice trailer to stay in that you can run on a small generator when the power is out for days.

Good Luck Stay Safe.
Thanks you are right it will be nice to use after the storm when the lights are out. I will enjoy the a/c and stove,
__________________
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Dyoung59's Avatar
 
1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

You may not get insurance on the trailer with a named storm in the area, you may have waited to long.
Yes you are correct, I may have to go on vacation during the storms for that reason.
__________________
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoung59 View Post
Yes you are correct, I may have to go on vacation during the storms for that reason.
Wait until the current one has left the area, then get your insurance.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoung59 View Post
Yes you are correct, I may have to go on vacation during the storms for that reason.
We spent 2 weeks at Fort Wilderness for Hurricane Katrina.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
An Airstream will withstand Category 1 winds easily enough, lengthwise. That's no different from the slipstream when you're towing. Crosswinds, I'm not so sure, though if nothing else it will do better than the SOB trailers.

There are three things to watch out for with any hurricane:
1 - Wind.
2 - Torrential rains.
3 - Storm Surge (in coastal areas). Along any river, there's a chance of flooding there, too, due to high rains causing the river to exceed its banks.

Wind carries with it windborne debris. Home hurricane shutters are tested by firing a 24 stick of lumber at 150 mph, and if the shutter doesn't let the lumber through, it passes. Make sure there is nothing at all within a range of about 500 feet that might go airborne and strike your trailer. In my case, my Airstream Interstate rode out Hurricane Isaac, but I made a point of parking it where a three-story building provided a windbreak on the south and east sides.

Rain might be the biggest problem. Wind-driven rain falls sideways, not down, and if there's any place in your trailer that might leak, it will leak. You can test in advance by taking your trailer to a do-it-yourself car wash, and blasting the whole trailer, all sides, at close range, and see if any water gets in. Especially around the windows and doors, rooftop vents and ACs, and every riveted seam.

If you live in an area subject to storm surge or river flooding, getting out is the only option.

My personal hurricane plan goes something like this:

For anything Category 2 or less, I'll park my Airstream and my Honda where they're protected, and ride out the storm. But the Airstream will be fully stocked, with empty holding tanks, full fuel, fresh water, and propane, a week's worth of non-perishable food and a week's worth of clothes and bedding, and my cell phone, laptop, tablet computer, and wireless broadband modem all fully charged. That way, in the event of a prolonged power outage at home, I can move into my Airstream until services are restored.

For Category 3 or higher, as soon as my home is in the National Weather Service's "5-day cone of uncertainty" I'm headed inland driving my Airstream and towing my Honda, in a direction well away from the predicted storm track, whether local authorities call for an evacuation or not.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
I have about figured out the best way to ride out a hurricane in an Airstream...

First you get one of those big V-plow blades from up north where it snows...a lot! Then you mount it on a turntable and put the AS behind it, that allows the AS to vane into the wind and the blade can deflect all the debris.

Problem solved!

Interestingly enough I saw pictures of a campground/RV park after one of the hurricanes of 2005, there were a bunch of destroyed SOB's, there were a couple of Airstreams in the park. One had been rolled on it's side by the hurricane, they rolled it back on it's wheels and were still staying in it, everything else was too damaged to use. During Hurricane Katrina I was working in Mobile, AL, fortunately my AS was in NC, I bailed and went east to Jacksonville, FL and rode the storm out in a hotel.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Dyoung59's Avatar
 
1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 29
Great information thanks.
__________________

__________________
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.