Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
We prepped for sandy last year as others have described here. Full tanks, generators ready to go etc. but then we never even lost power in the house. We were kinda bummed.
We currently have family 45 miles up the road still without power after the storms that rolled through central NC on Thursday night... We have 4 generators on the property so I figure we will never be without power again.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

We currently have family 45 miles up the road still without power after the storms that rolled through central NC on Thursday night... We have 4 generators on the property so I figure we will never be without power again.

Aaron
We wired the house for generators and we have not lost power yet. we can use that hook up on the airstream we just need to get a cable hookup made for it
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
We prepped for sandy last year as others have described here. Full tanks, generators ready to go etc. but then we never even lost power in the house. We were kinda bummed.
Never be bummed about dodging the bullet! Take it from a Katrina survivor.

Hurricane preparation is the ultimate example of "Better to have it and not need it…"
Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Hurricane preparation is the ultimate example of "Better to have it and not need it…"
Understood, as much of our town was underwater in 1938. Reference was to attaching a new level of significance to the beloved silver tube. Evacuation from Montauk would be damn near impossible. We live 100 feet above sea level so no storm surge problems. We would most likely HAVE to ride out the aftermath as home campers.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

I was working in Mobile, AL when Katrina came a calling. I left on Sunday morning and drove to Jacksonville, FL to ride it out. We had tropical force winds and rain in J'ville.

I live in the western edge of the Coastal Plain of NC, we do get the occasional hurricane or tropical force winds. Tornadoes, Derechos, and severe thunderstorms are the order of the day on a regular basis.

I sleep through the storms...

Quote:
In a Midwestern state that was known for severe storms, lived a farmer who had a herd of cattle which provided for his living. He wasn’t able
to pay large wages and found it difficult to keep trusty work hands.
He found himself in need of a competent worker who would see that
the animals were properly cared for and always be reliable in
doing his work.

One afternoon, a young man came by looking for a job. The farmer looked him over and thought he looked a bit young to have the qualification for the job, but he needed someone badly and decided to interview him. The first question to the young man was, “What are
your qualifications for this job?” The answer he got was, “I can sleep through a storm.” That didn’t make much sense to the farmer and alarmed him some, but he was desperate for help and hired the young man.

Not long afterward, a terrible storm came up during the middle of the night. The farmer decided he should go check on the barn doors and
see if everything was secure in the storm. Everything he checked was secure, nothing left undone; so he went looking for the young man
whose sleeping quarters were near the barn. No lights were on in his cabin and there was no evidence that he was up checking on things.
The farmer thought he probably made a mistake hiring one so young
who didn’t understand the responsibilities he had, but he knocked
on the cabin door and waited for a response from inside. Soon, a
sleepy eyed young man came to the door and asked the farmer what
was wrong. “Don’t you hear the storm raging out here? Why aren’t
you awake and taking care my animals?” “Oh, but I did, sir,” was the reply. “I took care of everything before the storm hit. All the animals have been fed, watered and locked securely in their stalls. I did everything to make them safe before I went to sleep.”

Then the farmer realized what the young man meant when he said he could “sleep through a storm.” He had made his preparation BEFORE the storm came, and he knew there was nothing to worry about. “What
a gem I have discovered!” thought the farmer as he made his way
back to the house, went to his own bed and soon fell asleep
Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Quote:

We are 40+ miles inland from the coast in central New Jersey. We had 80+ MPH winds here. Lost seven large trees and were without power for eleven days. Nothing compared to some. Don't be bummed about missing the action, it wasn't any fun. If you want to practice just turn off the main breaker and have at it.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...and while I have a good sized standby generator that runs on natural gas, I also have a Plan C...move into my Airstream. With my two Honda 2000's (and soon 300 W of solar panels), I figure I can ride out most natural (and unnatural) disasters.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
...and while I have a good sized standby generator that runs on natural gas, I also have a Plan C...move into my Airstream. With my two Honda 2000's (and soon 300 W of solar panels), I figure I can ride out most natural (and unnatural) disasters.
For me, Plan A is… well, I never bother with Plan A. Anybody who watches action/adventure movies knows that Plan A never works, so why even have one? My first plan is Plan B.

Plan B is, if the storm is Cat 1 or Cat 2, hunker down at home, but with the Airstream fully stocked so that I can move into it during the inevitable power outage after the storm has passed. Moving into it during the storm would not be comfortable or restful since an Interstate has no stabilizer jacks. But, if the storm is Cat 3 or higher, bug out with my Airstream Interstate and towing my Honda as soon as New Orleans is within the NWS "cone of uncertainty."

I don't have a Plan C, either, because Plan B covers the contingencies.