Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #101
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Bob:

Tell your buddy when the eye is overhead, if it passes over him, to go outside - noise but usually not a breath or air, no wind at all and again usually bright blue sky. I've experienced a number, Camille the most amazing as it was dead of night and we looked up to see bright stars in the sky, but then the back wall hit us with winds in the opposite direction.

Bud
Hi

He's been through a number of hurricanes both in Florida and in Texas. His big concern is the last part. Winds from every direction are a bit hard to fully prepare for. There is no "safe downwind side" to anything.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #102
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
10 hours drive time and 400 miles later. Atlanta Motor Speedway*

Attachment 294290

* there are a number of rigs in the full hookup sites paying $20 per night. We are staying one night so are in the non-hookup location. Alone. I'm the only cheap bastard I guess.
Cheap or not, you escaped! Congrats, my friend.

Figure 5 hours to Helen from where you are. Remember, you still have to deal with Atlanta traffic which is a bleeping nightmare. Best time to travel is in the middle of the day or the middle of the night. AVOID pulling thru downtown at all costs. Either take I-75 to I-285 to I-85 north (best route from where you are right now), or take I-75 to I-285 to I-75 north to I-575 (longer and lots of road construction that way right now).

Good luck and let us know when you are safely there.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The latest track has irma going a bit more inland. I have the truck gassed up. Things you cannot buy in Tampa: Water, Bread, gas cans. Several stations are out of gas. I found one with no lines, but it was busy.
I took a picture because I couldn't believe it, the bread aisle at WalMart last night.
Storm still 1000 miles away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelves.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	294294  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #104
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Cheap or not, you escaped! Congrats, my friend.

Figure 5 hours to Helen from where you are. Remember, you still have to deal with Atlanta traffic which is a bleeping nightmare. Best time to travel is in the middle of the day or the middle of the night. AVOID pulling thru downtown at all costs. Either take I-75 to I-285 to I-85 north (best route from where you are right now), or take I-75 to I-285 to I-75 north to I-575 (longer and lots of road construction that way right now).

Good luck and let us know when you are safely there.

Jim
Thanks so much! I've been looking for the best route. Actually checked traffic a few times today just to see if there was a good time. There wasn't.

I'm thinking of waiting until Saturday. Would that help?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Irma No Charge Courtesy parking, hour North of Atlanta

We can offer hospitality and no charge courtesy parking with 15 amp power / water / possibly sewer hook up to our clean out. We also have a spare bedroom w/ full size bed, private bath by that bedroom.
PM me if interested. Cumming, GA. 1 hour north of Atlanta, 1 hour, 15 minutes South of Helen / Top of Georgia. I'm working from home Friday and home all weekend. I have a grill and I'm not afraid to use it. Stopover or stay. If coming through Atlanta going to Top of Georgia in Helen, it's 3 miles out of the way to our place.
PM me if interested.
Thanks, G

As I saw written one time:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #106
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Latest news seems to be that the track is drifting west again. I'd say it's by no means definite which side of the state the storm will run up ....

Bob
Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #107
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Latest news seems to be that the track is drifting west again. I'd say it's by no means definite which side of the state the storm will run up ....
Given the diameter of the storm, I'd say that regardless of which side of the state the eye is on, west, middle, or east, the storm will run up the whole state— or at least the whole state east of Tallahassee.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:11 AM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The latest track has irma going a bit more inland. I have the truck gassed up. Things you cannot buy in Tampa: Water, Bread, gas cans. Several stations are out of gas. I found one with no lines, but it was busy.
I took a picture because I couldn't believe it, the bread aisle at WalMart last night.
Storm still 1000 miles away.
Glad you posted that pic- I tried to describe to my family what our Walmart looked like yesterday, and the only word I could come up with was "apocalyptic". They still aren't sure of the track, but local news is predicting a Cat 2 by the time it gets to Jax.- with a turn toward Georgia west of Lake City (I-75).

St.Augustine is being evacuated at 6AM tomorrow morning. We'll be hanging on tight. Gas trucks have been going south, traffic north. A royal mess.
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Buggin' Out Today

Our evacuation is supposed to become mandatory at 3PM. We will leave in an hour or so after loading the truck. First stop, Jacksonville. Probable final destination, Fleetwood, NC, near Boone. Who knows how long it will take. Have a blue highways Plan B in case of (probable) congestion on interstates.

SC and Georgia Governors already have their people evacuating. You'd think (hope, maybe) that the Governors could get together and stagger evacuations so that those north of us wouldn't clog the highways, but it happened with Matthew and looks to be happening again. Maybe SC will contraflow I-26 this time. They didn't last year.

It isn't rocket science, after all.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #110

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Have a blue highways Plan B in case of (probable) congestion on interstates.
Anyone who has ever watched action/adventure movies knows that Plan A never works! Save yourself some time and trouble by discarding Plan A before you try it, and make Plan B your first plan.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #111
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
We can offer hospitality and no charge courtesy parking with 15 amp power / water / possibly sewer hook up to our clean out. We also have a spare bedroom w/ full size bed, private bath by that bedroom.
PM me if interested. Cumming, GA. 1 hour north of Atlanta, 1 hour, 15 minutes South of Helen / Top of Georgia. I'm working from home Friday and home all weekend. I have a grill and I'm not afraid to use it. Stopover or stay. If coming through Atlanta going to Top of Georgia in Helen, it's 3 miles out of the way to our place.
PM me if interested.
Thanks, G
Sounds great. Thanks for the offer. Not sure we are staying around here though. The storm seems to have followed us. Might have to head west????
Old 09-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #112
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Thanks so much! I've been looking for the best route. Actually checked traffic a few times today just to see if there was a good time. There wasn't.

Saturday is normally better. The Georgia coastline has been ordered evacuated, so all those folks will be headed this way as well. I-16 will be northbound in all lanes for a few days.

Just looking at the Weather Channel, looks pretty certain that this thing is headed to Georgia after Florida. Lots of wind and rain. Not nearly as bad as South Florida, but an unusual event for sure.

Be safe everybody.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #113
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
We will leave in an hour or so after loading the truck. First stop, Jacksonville. Probable final destination, Fleetwood, NC, near Boone. Who knows how long it will take. Have a blue highways Plan B in case of (probable) congestion on interstates.
Based on my drive yesterday the interstates are more congested (mostly accidents not volume) but have gas. The blue highways had plenty of closed gas stations.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #114
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Sounds great. Thanks for the offer. Not sure we are staying around here though. The storm seems to have followed us. Might have to head west????
I-75 North to I-285 West to I-20 West. I hear east Texas is nice this time of year. Once you get to I-20, it's only about a 12 hour drive.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Our evacuation is supposed to become mandatory at 3PM. We will leave in an hour or so after loading the truck. First stop, Jacksonville. Probable final destination, Fleetwood, NC, near Boone. Who knows how long it will take. Have a blue highways Plan B in case of (probable) congestion on interstates.

SC and Georgia Governors already have their people evacuating. You'd think (hope, maybe) that the Governors could get together and stagger evacuations so that those north of us wouldn't clog the highways, but it happened with Matthew and looks to be happening again. Maybe SC will contraflow I-26 this time. They didn't last year.

It isn't rocket science, after all.

Al

Counter flow on paper looks like it would work, I always thought so myself. But, this week I was "informed" by some LEO's that in fact it usually is a disaster for two reasons. First, rescue workers, so on and so forth are going in the opposite direction, as I am to rescue dogs from shelters. So if you see a Sliver F350 heading into the weather, it's likely to be me. Second, at some point the counter flow ends and according to cops it is a total and absolute nightmare. The guys I talked to say they've tried stagger merge points one merge point etc and it still starts a quick back up that does not end. They have also, or so they say, computer tested it and same results. Now, what they could try is like they do around Boston during rush hours is use ALL lanes in one direction including the emergency lane. Those who break down must get off onto the grass. Helps a bit up there.

Good luck all and be safe.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #116

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
When it comes to hurricane evacuation, leading the herd is better than following the herd, because those on the tail end are most likely to encounter shortages of things they really need to buy en route.

But following the herd is still less stressful than being in the middle of the herd!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #117

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Counter flow on paper looks like it would work
When New Orleans tried contra-flow for Katrina, the chokepoints where the traffic lanes had to merge together were a nightmare. Instead of merging the left counter-flowing lane into the right lane, and merging the left normal-flowing lane into the right lane, and then bringing the single counter-flowing lane across the median into the newly-vacant left normal-flow lane, it was pretty much every driver for himself, with two counter-flowing lanes trying to merge into the left normal-flowing lane all at once, and the left normal-flowing lane trying to get out of their way by cutting off the drivers in the right lane all in the same place, with the net result that traffic in all 4 lanes slowed to a walking pace or less.

Also, those people headed north in the southbound lanes were more likely to run out of fuel and other needed supplies, because all of the on-ramps that would have been off-ramps in contra-flow were closed; once you were in a contra-flow lane, you were there for the duration, no exit, whether you had everything you needed or not. Only those lucky enough to end up in a normal flow lane had the option to get off the highway and stop for fuel, beverages, potty breaks, whatever, and then get back on.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When New Orleans tried contra-flow for Katrina, the chokepoints where the traffic lanes had to merge together were a nightmare. Instead of merging the left counter-flowing lane into the right lane, and merging the left normal-flowing lane into the right lane, and then bringing the single counter-flowing lane across the median into the newly-vacant left normal-flow lane, it was pretty much every driver for himself, with two counter-flowing lanes trying to merge into the left normal-flowing lane all at once, and the left normal-flowing lane trying to get out of their way by cutting off the drivers in the right lane all in the same place, with the net result that traffic in all 4 lanes slowed to a walking pace or less.

Also, those people headed north in the southbound lanes were more likely to run out of fuel and other needed supplies, because all of the on-ramps that would have been off-ramps in contra-flow were closed; once you were in a contra-flow lane, you were there for the duration, no exit, whether you had everything you needed or not. Only those lucky enough to end up in a normal flow lane had the option to get off the highway and stop for fuel, beverages, potty breaks, whatever, and then get back on.
I just communicated with friends in "line" on I 95 now and prior this AM to friends who left and went up I 75 on Tuesday. Both reported same, limited fuel and neither could even exit at rest areas as they were so full and vehicles waiting to get into the rest area. I think if I were leaving I'd have left already, but I certainly would not wait any longer than now. But, then I am heading into it, so I would not take my advice.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #119
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I-75 North to I-285 West to I-20 West. I hear east Texas is nice this time of year. Once you get to I-20, it's only about a 12 hour drive.

Jim
Hi

12 hours gets you to Pennsylvania .... come on up !!!

Not quite sure that either is "needed" to get away from even this monster of a storm. Heading west looks like a quicker way out of the path than heading north. It's going to get wet and windy up into Virginia. The next storm in line appears to be staying away from the mainland in the models so dodging it is not (yet) part of the math.

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Ok, Mollysdad, if you're in Zone A, get out now. We have room in Jacksonville if you can make it
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote