Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #113
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
We will leave in an hour or so after loading the truck. First stop, Jacksonville. Probable final destination, Fleetwood, NC, near Boone. Who knows how long it will take. Have a blue highways Plan B in case of (probable) congestion on interstates.
Based on my drive yesterday the interstates are more congested (mostly accidents not volume) but have gas. The blue highways had plenty of closed gas stations.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #114
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Sounds great. Thanks for the offer. Not sure we are staying around here though. The storm seems to have followed us. Might have to head west????
I-75 North to I-285 West to I-20 West. I hear east Texas is nice this time of year. Once you get to I-20, it's only about a 12 hour drive.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Some City , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Our evacuation is supposed to become mandatory at 3PM. We will leave in an hour or so after loading the truck. First stop, Jacksonville. Probable final destination, Fleetwood, NC, near Boone. Who knows how long it will take. Have a blue highways Plan B in case of (probable) congestion on interstates.

SC and Georgia Governors already have their people evacuating. You'd think (hope, maybe) that the Governors could get together and stagger evacuations so that those north of us wouldn't clog the highways, but it happened with Matthew and looks to be happening again. Maybe SC will contraflow I-26 this time. They didn't last year.

It isn't rocket science, after all.

Al

Counter flow on paper looks like it would work, I always thought so myself. But, this week I was "informed" by some LEO's that in fact it usually is a disaster for two reasons. First, rescue workers, so on and so forth are going in the opposite direction, as I am to rescue dogs from shelters. So if you see a Sliver F350 heading into the weather, it's likely to be me. Second, at some point the counter flow ends and according to cops it is a total and absolute nightmare. The guys I talked to say they've tried stagger merge points one merge point etc and it still starts a quick back up that does not end. They have also, or so they say, computer tested it and same results. Now, what they could try is like they do around Boston during rush hours is use ALL lanes in one direction including the emergency lane. Those who break down must get off onto the grass. Helps a bit up there.

Good luck all and be safe.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #116
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I'm thinking of waiting until Saturday. Would that help?
When it comes to hurricane evacuation, leading the herd is better than following the herd, because those on the tail end are most likely to encounter shortages of things they really need to buy en route.

But following the herd is still less stressful than being in the middle of the herd!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #117

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Counter flow on paper looks like it would work
When New Orleans tried contra-flow for Katrina, the chokepoints where the traffic lanes had to merge together were a nightmare. Instead of merging the left counter-flowing lane into the right lane, and merging the left normal-flowing lane into the right lane, and then bringing the single counter-flowing lane across the median into the newly-vacant left normal-flow lane, it was pretty much every driver for himself, with two counter-flowing lanes trying to merge into the left normal-flowing lane all at once, and the left normal-flowing lane trying to get out of their way by cutting off the drivers in the right lane all in the same place, with the net result that traffic in all 4 lanes slowed to a walking pace or less.

Also, those people headed north in the southbound lanes were more likely to run out of fuel and other needed supplies, because all of the on-ramps that would have been off-ramps in contra-flow were closed; once you were in a contra-flow lane, you were there for the duration, no exit, whether you had everything you needed or not. Only those lucky enough to end up in a normal flow lane had the option to get off the highway and stop for fuel, beverages, potty breaks, whatever, and then get back on.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Some City , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When New Orleans tried contra-flow for Katrina, the chokepoints where the traffic lanes had to merge together were a nightmare. Instead of merging the left counter-flowing lane into the right lane, and merging the left normal-flowing lane into the right lane, and then bringing the single counter-flowing lane across the median into the newly-vacant left normal-flow lane, it was pretty much every driver for himself, with two counter-flowing lanes trying to merge into the left normal-flowing lane all at once, and the left normal-flowing lane trying to get out of their way by cutting off the drivers in the right lane all in the same place, with the net result that traffic in all 4 lanes slowed to a walking pace or less.

Also, those people headed north in the southbound lanes were more likely to run out of fuel and other needed supplies, because all of the on-ramps that would have been off-ramps in contra-flow were closed; once you were in a contra-flow lane, you were there for the duration, no exit, whether you had everything you needed or not. Only those lucky enough to end up in a normal flow lane had the option to get off the highway and stop for fuel, beverages, potty breaks, whatever, and then get back on.
I just communicated with friends in "line" on I 95 now and prior this AM to friends who left and went up I 75 on Tuesday. Both reported same, limited fuel and neither could even exit at rest areas as they were so full and vehicles waiting to get into the rest area. I think if I were leaving I'd have left already, but I certainly would not wait any longer than now. But, then I am heading into it, so I would not take my advice.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #119
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I-75 North to I-285 West to I-20 West. I hear east Texas is nice this time of year. Once you get to I-20, it's only about a 12 hour drive.

Jim
Hi

12 hours gets you to Pennsylvania .... come on up !!!

Not quite sure that either is "needed" to get away from even this monster of a storm. Heading west looks like a quicker way out of the path than heading north. It's going to get wet and windy up into Virginia. The next storm in line appears to be staying away from the mainland in the models so dodging it is not (yet) part of the math.

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Ok, Mollysdad, if you're in Zone A, get out now. We have room in Jacksonville if you can make it
Old 09-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #121
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm in Zone A. Gotta go. We usually go on Friday's anyway, but this time we can't go to the Airstream. So we're headed over to Dad's. He's Zone C. Hopefully we won't have to evacuate that...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Take care FC- glad you're heading out.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
just retired last week, and glad that I did. couldn't handle another storm still working in retail on miami beach. way too much stress. we live in west Pembroke pines. our house was built post Andrew and is built to withstand strong storms. we plan, we prepare, we put up shutters and bring in anything that might blow away. we recently moved the coach to our summer home in Tennessee, so that is safe. we will ride out the storm here, as will all my neighbors. this is what Floridians do. don't way g too much news, as they will scare the hell out of you. gas is hard to come by, as is propane. don't panic, but do be smart.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #124

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandgrace View Post
we will ride out the storm here, as will all my neighbors. this is what Floridians do.
For the sake of everyone here on the Forums, may I ask a favor?

When Irma has passed, any Forums members who live in the area affected by the storm and who didn't evacuate, please post here and let the rest of us know how you made out. We all want to know that everyone is safe when it's all over.

Everyone who did evacuate, same thing when you return home, please. We want to know that your homes are safe, too.

And for evacuees, if you're lucky enough to return home to find no damage, don't feel like you made a wasted trip. It's like buying insurance. Better to do it and not have to, than to have to and not do it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
What he said times 2

Be safe

I hear Branson is nice this time of year
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #126
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

News up here is claiming that Irma will be back up to a category 5 when it makes landfall in south Florida. Not quite sure that the 4/5 distinction makes that big a difference. This is a monster either way. Track is still drifting a bit more westward every few forecast cycles.

Bob