Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
Anyone have a guess how long a single battery will operate the refrig while on propane?
Quite a while. The battery is only running the controls. Will you have the tow vehicle to recharge the battery? (assuming you lose power). There's always the option of a cooler and ice to keep your valuable frozen stuff frozen.
I just filled all my ice cube trays and put an extra two liter bottle of water in the freezer at home. Maybe the power won't be off that long. I'll do the ice cubes in a baggie trick.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #142
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
We've got the 19 Bambi packed and leaving our waterfront home to go inland ~10 miles to assemble several elderly family members in a single location.

I've filled the Airstream refrig with the contents of our household refrig. Problem is, I currently only have one deep cycle battery as a house battery. Anyone have a guess how long a single battery will operate the refrig while on propane?
If that's your only draw i would think quite a while. If you need an exact amp draw figure I might be able to get you one later tonight. At least for my fridge.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #143
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

For the fridge, keep the trailer on shore power for as long as you can. That will keep the propane for later and the battery as topped up as possible. How long things keep running depends a *lot* on how good a shape your battery is in. The answer could be a day it could be a month. Now is probably *not* the time to go get the battery tested. If you feel comfortable doing it, you *might* be able to find a replacement to swap out "just in case". If you happen by my garage, I have a couple of batteries sitting on the floor - bought for the last blizzard on that basis. They are still unused ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #144
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
It's a relatively new deep cycle. My hope is just to rely on the propone for 24-36hrs max then I'll be back home and can connect to my household generator.

Thanks
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My uncle lives in The Villages near Orlando. He said they are expecting 100mph winds and he's staying. My aunt's brother was ordered to evacuate from the Tampa area and is with them. Florida is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't what to live there.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #146
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
It's a relatively new deep cycle. My hope is just to rely on the propone for 24-36hrs max then I'll be back home and can connect to my household generator.

Thanks
I just checked. Looks like about 0.5 amps for my fridge in a 2014 30'.

Figure 12 amps per day? What's the rating of your battery?
Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #147
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If it's a single flooded cell it should be about 80AH, so 40AH usable. 12AH a day would get you to three days. Even a small generator or solar setup would extend things dramatically.

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
It's an interstate 550cca. Not sure what the rating is.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #149
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
An Interstate SRM-24 deep cycle marine battery rated at 550 cold cranking amps is a Group 24 battery, typically rated for 80 amp-hours. Meaning that you'll get at most 40 amp-hours of use before you need to recharge.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #150
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

Best guess is that it's a group 24 flooded cell. That's what the stock battery was. Something around 80AH is a good guess when it was new.

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Like I said before , Branson is looking good this time of year ... time to GO !

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #152
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Makes plans to bug out today, reservations and such. I will be watching closely but planned to head north no later than Thursday.
Did you make it to Top of georgia?
Old 09-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #153
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
My uncle lives in The Villages near Orlando. He said they are expecting 100mph winds and he's staying. My aunt's brother was ordered to evacuate from the Tampa area and is with them. Florida is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't what to live there.
And orlando is inland. Wonder what wind speed will be on the coast that irma hits?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #154
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
And orlando is inland. Wonder what wind speed will be on the coast that irma hits?
Hi

Last plot I say showed > 70 mph. Not clear if that was gusts or sustained. The obvious "gotcha" is the same one as up here. When was the last time they saw those winds from that direction? Tree does fine in storm after storm with winds from "over there". In comes same thing from "that a way" and down it comes. I have data on this ....

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
It's not so bad. It could be tornadoes or wild fires or earthquakes. I'd rather have hurricanes with days of advance notice. And I've lived in Florida for 30 years. It's worth it.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #156
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Looking at the devastation wrought on the BVI and Dutch West Indies it still amazes me that homes, condo's and other buildings are built with wood and use construction technics that obviously do not stand up.

So this begs the question.....what structure or construction should these people be using? Ideas....

Here's mine suggestion, with some changes of course. Imagine a lot smaller; the back side of the home is just an armoured garage door....Could do the same on the window side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	earth-homes-art-g02tnleq-1earth-homes-2-jpg.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	294392  

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Looking at the devastation wrought on the BVI and Dutch West Indies . . .
. . .
The detailed photos from all the Virgin Islands are just starting to be available, and "devastation" pretty much covers it. Further east, Barbuda is basically gone . . . and rendered unfit for human habitation.

Folks, in case you haven't been taking Irma seriously, or have been thinking you can figure out where she is going to track, or how intense she might be further north, well . . .

We may be in a "New Normal" of human-caused climate change.

Harvey -- Irma - Jose -- line 'em up and let 'em rip . . . until everyone "gets it" . . .

It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature -- CO2 emissions and all that.

Denial is a wide river to cross!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:43 AM   #158
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
It could be tornadoes or wild fires or earthquakes. I'd rather have hurricanes with days of advance notice.
Hurricanes have been known to spawn tornadoes inside of them. Adding insult to injury, as it were…

But it's true for me in the New Orleans metro area, too. There is nowhere in the United States that is completely immune to natural disasters. Wildfires. Droughts. Flash floods. Blizzards. Earthquakes. Volcanoes. Tornadoes. Dust storms. Hailstorms. Hurricanes. If I had to pick a part of the country to live in based solely on the disasters that impact the area, I'd pick an area affected by hurricanes. Especially today when the National Hurricane Center has so many excellent tools available for tracking and predicting the storms and information on a given storm is almost instantly available by going online.

Besides, now that I own an Airstream and I'm retired, a hurricane is just an excuse to go camping far, far away. And having been through Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath, I no longer have any possessions at all that predate that storm and I'm not a homeowner, so I have no sentimental attachment to anything I own except my Airstream Interstate, my Honda toad, and my cat (the only things I own that have names: Kaiser, Mikado, and Sylvia). So I can evacuate and leave everything else behind if I have to, and I wouldn't mourn any of it if it's destroyed. I'd mourn paying the replacement costs for those things I replace (most of it isn't even worth insuring and some of it isn't worth replacing), but not the loss of the items themselves.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Downgraded to a category 4, at this point.

Stay safe, everyone.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43 AM   #160
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Scott in NJ, spent the nite at AMS and will arrive at TOG later today, probably around 3. Gotta stop by a grocery store and pick up some real food instead of just emergency food.
Even though it's Saturday, traffic in metro Atl is still unusually heavy so I will take the back roads and although it will take longer to drive it will be much less stressful than using 75,285,85. Also, I have two little dogs and my mom with me and they all seem to need potty break way to often so it is easier to pull into a church parking lot using the back roads.
Thanks to all my friends here on the forum for your support and for checking on how things are going. I gotta say buying the Airstream and having new friends who really do care is awesome. Without a doubt this is the best group of people I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. Best life decision I have ever made. Thank you.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote