Decatur , Georgia
Parks near Atlanta

Lauri,

Here's a few ideas for you...

Stone Mountain Park's campground
Fort Yargo State Park near Winder

The campgrounds on Lake Lanier...many are Army Corps properties:

https://lakelanier.com/activities/camping/

Don Carter State Park (on that list) is new-ish and often seems to have availability.

On the SW side of the metro area is Chatthoochee Bend State Park. Never crowded... and nice!

http://gastateparks.org/ChattahoocheeBend

Also, if you're a Harvest Host member, I believe that Chateau Elan near Braselton is a host.

Let us know if we can help further!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Good news! My Viair 400RV is waiting to be picked up at WalMart! I may fight my way there, and see if there's a five gallon gas can left.
Hi

I have a couple of extra 5 gallon cans sitting unused in the garage if you want to stop by here I picked them up about three months after the last big snow scare .... that's how long it took them to re-stock ....

If Walmart is out of gas cans, there's always West Marine ... hang on to your wallet ....Nice looking 29 gallon model with wheels, only $499 ... YIKES !!!!

Bob

Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
In October 2016 we stayed one night at General Coffee State Park in southern Georgia. This park is near the bottom of Georgia. The campground host said the week prior during Hurricane Matthew the place was packed beyond full. Each site had at least two campers doubled up and tents covered any bare ground that could be found. Those of you looking for campsites better go early. I would consider skipping the interstate and hitting the two lane roads.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #74
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:

I guess my sailing days got me acclimated to having buckets of water thrown in my face and calling it fun.

Still the greatest tropical weather site ever.
http://spaghettimodels.com
Hoo yah sailing days, where if you weren't getting wet, you weren't having fun.

Keep us posted for your location this weekend and we'll keep y'all in prayers.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #75
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Okay, let's look at your chart. What does it show? It's the probability of tropical force winds (39mph+)
So, I'm in the dark yellow, so I have a 40% chance of tropical force winds. 60% chance that I won't.
That's just the chance of having those winds in the next 5 days. As the storm advances, the chance of having those winds, or stronger, is likely to go up because the plot will show 5 days from the date and time of the prediction and the storm will be closer to you by then.

You're missing the point of the exercise. Look at the width of the purple swath, extending from the current position of Irma to 5 days along the track. Then look at the width of the Florida peninsula. When the storm reaches your latitude, you're likely to be inside the purple swath, or very close to it, if the track touches land before it reaches your latitude.

But like I said, if you're not already convinced to leave, trying to convince you now is pointless. I give up. Do as you will, and I wish you all the luck in the world. But I will have no sympathy if your luck deserts you after so many people have advised you to leave and you ignore us all.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I give up. Do as you will, and I wish you all the luck in the world. But I will have no sympathy if your luck deserts you after so many people have advised you to leave and you ignore us all.
Don't take it personally.
I'll let you know if I chose wisely, or poorly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1790250199-5fd5aab2df60cd4544d93bff9d6838ed.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	294184  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #77
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Don't take it personally.
I'll let you know if I chose wisely, or poorly.
Not taking it personally, exactly. Just acknowledging the existence of someone even more stubborn than me, that's all.

I had my hurricane epiphany with Katrina, when I decided almost too late that bugging out well in advance is the better part of valor. The generation before me had their epiphany with Betsy or Camile. Others had theirs with Hugo. Or Sandy. Every stubborn cuss who lives in an area subject to hurricanes needs to have their own epiphany. I just hope that Irma isn't yours.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #78
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
High Falls State Park in not too far south of Atlanta and close to I-75. Try there.
Indian Springs State Park is near there as well. There's also a private campground called Atlanta South RV park just up I-75 from the two of these.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #79
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
https://fl511.com/map#camera

I-95 isn't looking too bad. Even at the 75 and Turnpike isn't packed, but is red on Google Maps.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #80
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
https://fl511.com/map#camera

I-95 isn't looking too bad. Even at the 75 and Turnpike isn't packed, but is red on Google Maps.
Hi

In addition to spaghetti models changing around, we can watch the little ! show up on that map. Get enough accidents and even without the added traffic, things will clog up. It's never a single dimensional problem ....stress manifests in a lot of different ways.

We worry about RV's and the storm. It's a good bet that pretty much everybody with a boat on the coast is more worried than any of us. Toss it on a trailer, head here or there, toss another line over to the dock ... same basic questions in a different context. At least as much stress. Some percentage of them will be on the road headed north.

Has anybody started matching up the tide charts to the track yet?

Bob
Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Anyone with children in southern Florida, who has not already made a commitment to heading north, is putting their lives in jeopardy unnecessarily IMO.

Gives one pause, and appreciation for the phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic."

Risk assessment is a personal thing, surely, but being a parent complicates the equation.

There is, however, nothing complicated about Irma.

Exciting to "have . . . fun . . . buckets of water in one's face" while sailing?

Beyond folly IMO.

Hubris . . . . comes to mind . . . so does delusional . . .

At least it will be simple to find good epitaphs for some . . .

Old 09-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Good evening all and thank you for the suggestions on a quick overnight stop. I grew up in Griffin, Ga and we used to go over to High Falls for a veritable cornucopia of slightly illegal activity. Statue of Limitations expired long ago. High Falls is an option but getting in with a 30 foot Airstream is a bit tight, not impossible but a little iffy. But the thanks for the idea.
I will be traveling with my elderly mom and two 2 little dogs so surfing and driving isn't going to happen. I will check GDOT as often as possible. Planning on taking I-75 but ga 441 will be my backup route.
ICEMAN and James have my cell number and will have my 6 so I so know I will be in good hands.
To those of you who are staying around, personally, well what I think doesn't really matter but as a former Paramedic would you please right your SSN on your chest so someone can ID the body. I have bobbed for bodies in my day and it ain't fun. LEAVE!
This will be my last post as I am hitting the road at first light. Keep us in your prayers and as soon as I can I will post again.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #83
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
ID the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
To those of you who are staying around, personally, well what I think doesn't really matter but as a former Paramedic would you please write your SSN on your chest so someone can ID the body. I have bobbed for bodies in my day and it ain't fun. LEAVE!
Wow, this gave me a chill and I'm in sunny Utah.

May God bless the First Responders for Harvey and Irma and all the other Good Samaritans hard at work.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Just broadcast on the Weather Channel- Atlanta Motor Speedway open for campers.