Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Anyone with children in southern Florida, who has not already made a commitment to heading north, is putting their lives in jeopardy unnecessarily IMO.

Gives one pause, and appreciation for the phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic."

Risk assessment is a personal thing, surely, but being a parent complicates the equation.

There is, however, nothing complicated about Irma.

Exciting to "have . . . fun . . . buckets of water in one's face" while sailing?

Beyond folly IMO.

Hubris . . . . comes to mind . . . so does delusional . . .

At least it will be simple to find good epitaphs for some . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #82
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Good evening all and thank you for the suggestions on a quick overnight stop. I grew up in Griffin, Ga and we used to go over to High Falls for a veritable cornucopia of slightly illegal activity. Statue of Limitations expired long ago. High Falls is an option but getting in with a 30 foot Airstream is a bit tight, not impossible but a little iffy. But the thanks for the idea.
I will be traveling with my elderly mom and two 2 little dogs so surfing and driving isn't going to happen. I will check GDOT as often as possible. Planning on taking I-75 but ga 441 will be my backup route.
ICEMAN and James have my cell number and will have my 6 so I so know I will be in good hands.
To those of you who are staying around, personally, well what I think doesn't really matter but as a former Paramedic would you please right your SSN on your chest so someone can ID the body. I have bobbed for bodies in my day and it ain't fun. LEAVE!
This will be my last post as I am hitting the road at first light. Keep us in your prayers and as soon as I can I will post again.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #83
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
ID the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
To those of you who are staying around, personally, well what I think doesn't really matter but as a former Paramedic would you please write your SSN on your chest so someone can ID the body. I have bobbed for bodies in my day and it ain't fun. LEAVE!
Wow, this gave me a chill and I'm in sunny Utah.

May God bless the First Responders for Harvey and Irma and all the other Good Samaritans hard at work.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Just broadcast on the Weather Channel- Atlanta Motor Speedway open for campers.
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
Announcement and directions:

http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/...-evacuees.html
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Lots of folks on the Face Book Airstream Addicts group are offering free stays, some with electric and water to any Airstream leaving due to IRMA.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I think Uncle Bob asked about Tides:

http://fl.usharbors.com/florida-tide-charts
Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
atlantafree camping for evacuees

atlanta motorsppedwsay i opening up to any hurricane evacuees. they have excellent camping facilities available....

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/27901539

evacuees will have free access to hot showers and restroom facilities.
Just in case some of you are looking for a safe place, and it's free too...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Great! One of my favorite tracks. For you Garmin users, beware... There is a wrong route to Atlanta motor speedway (or at least there was). I followed the route and ended up at a golf course, miles away. Look for a second Atlanta Motor Speedway in the memory.

Quote:
I used to cover the race in April. One year it snowed so hard I was afraid I'd hit someone with my golf cart. My hands were frozen from trying to hook up cables without gloves.
But it was one of my favorites. Nice folks, no real struggles unless you count the cops directing traffic on the way in, and screaming at us. We laughed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Great Preparedness Checklist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
For those of us in east central Florida, the latest forecasted paths indicate that a "shelter in place" may be desirable vs. trying to evacuate several states away.....

Storm surge is what concerns me the most in these monster storms.
To all my friends who may be in the path of Irma & riding the storm out.
This is the most comprehensive list I've seen so far! Be prepared!
1. Charge any device that provides light. Laptops, tablets, cameras, video cameras, and old phones. Old cell phones can still used for dialing 911. Charge external battery back ups.
2. Wash all trash cans, big and small, and fill with water for flushing toilets. Line outdoor trash cans with trash bags, fill with water and store in the garage. Add bleach to sterilize.
3. Fill every tub and sink with water. Cover sinks with Saran Wrap to keep it from collecting dust. Fill washing machine and leave lid up to store water.
4. Fill old empty water bottles and other containers with water and keep near sinks for washing hands.
5. Fill every Tupperware with water and store in freezer. These will help keep food cold longer and serve as a back up water supply.
6. Fill drinking cups with water and cover with Saran Wrap. Store as many as possible in fridge. The rest you can store on the counter and use first before any water bottles are opened. Ice is impossible to find after the storm.
7. Reserve fridge space for storing tap water and keep the sealed water bottles on the counter.
8. Cook any meats in advance and other perishable foods. You can freeze cooked food. Hard boil eggs for snacks for first day without power.
9. Be well hydrated before the storm hits and avoid salty foods that make you dehydrated.
10. Wash all dirty clothes and bed sheets. Anything dirty will smell without the A/C, you may need the items, and with no A/C, you'll be sweating a lot. You're going to want clean sheets.
11. Toss out any expiring food, clean cat litter boxes, empty all trash cans in the house, including bathrooms. Remove anything that will cause an odor when the A/C is off. If you don't have a trash day pickup before the storm, find a dumpster.
12. Bring in any yard decor, secure anything that will fly around, secure gates, bring in hoses, potted plants, etc. Bring in patio furniture and grills.
13. Clean your environment so you have clear, easy escape routes. Even if that means temporarily moving furniture to one area.
14. Scrub all bathrooms so you are starting with a clean odor free environment. Store water filled trash cans next to each toilet for flushing.
15. Place everything you own that is important and necessary in a backpack or small file box that is easy to grab. Include your wallet with ID, phone, hand sanitizer, snacks, etc. Get plastic sleeves for important documents.
16. Make sure you have cash on hand.
17. Stock up on pet food and fill up bowls of water for pets.
18. Refill any medications. Most insurance companies allow for 2 emergency refills per year.
19. Fill your propane tanks. You can heat soup cans, boil water, make coffee, and other stuff besides just grilling meat. Get an extra, if possible.
20. Drop your A/C in advance and lower temperatures in your fridges.
21. Gather all candles, flashlights, lighters, matches, batteries, and other items and keep them accessible.
22. Clean all counters in advance. Start with a clean surface. Buy Clorox Wipes for cleaning when there is no power. Mop your floors and vacuum. If power is out for 10 days, you'll have to live in the mess you started with.
23. Pick your emergency safe place such as a closet under the stairs. Store the items you'll need in that location for the brunt of the storm. Make a hand fan for when the power is out.
24. Shower just before the storm is scheduled to hit.
25. Keep baby wipes next to each toilet. Don't flush them. It's not the time to risk clogging your toilet!
26. Run your dishwasher, don't risk having dirty smelly dishes and you need every container for water! Remember you'll need clean water for brushing your teeth, washing yourself, and cleaning your hands.
27. Put a small suitcase in your car in case you decide to evacuate. Also put at least one jug of water in your car. It will still be there if you don't evacuate! You don't need to store all water in the house. Remember to pack for pets as well.
28. Check on all family members, set up emergency back up plans, and check on elderly neighbors.
29. Remember, pets are family too. Take them with you!
30. Before the storm, unplug all electronics. There will be power surges during and after the storm.
31. Gas up your car and have a spare gas container for your generator or your car when you run out.
32. Life jackets/vest & inflatable rafts might also help if you need to leave your home if it becomes flooded.
If you can, take a video of your house and contents....walk room to room--open cabinets/drawers and closets. This will help if you need to make a claim later. It will show proof of items and help you list all the items (help your memory, so you don't forget anything)...I highly recommend!!!
I also heard you should freeze a cup of water, place a coin on top after it is frozen...keep this in your freezer to help you gauge the temperature if the power goes out. If the coin stays on top, the food is staying frozen. If the coin falls into the water, the freezer thawed out and most food will likely need to be thrown away. This is super helpful if you have to leave and come back, as it may appear everything is still frozen, but if the coin is in the cup--you will know!!
Finally, anything that you want to try and preserve, but you can't take with you---place it in a plastic bin and put in your dishwasher, lock the door---this should make it water tight in case of any water intrusion into your home. But of course, take all the important/irreplaceable items you can!!
Stay Safe everyone!
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Great list- I have spent all today cleaning because the smell of a closed up house that has been in 90 degree weather until electricity comes back on isnot pleasant !

Only thingI might add is to try to have some cash on hand.
Stay safe everyone!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Talladega Speedway announcement:

FREE REFUGE AVAILABLE FOR HURRICANE IRMA EVACUEES

http://www.talladegasuperspeedway.co...s-Welcome.aspx
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #93
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
atlanta motorsppedwsay i opening up to any hurricane evacuees. they have excellent camping facilities available....

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/27901539

evacuees will have free access to hot showers and restroom facilities.
Just in case some of you are looking for a safe place, and it's free too...
Thank you. I may stop there if conditions dictate. Plan is to eventually make my way to Top of Georgia.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #94
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Going to Top of Georgia Airstream Park because I am familiar with it, I do think it is far enough North to be safe (certainly safer than staying anywhere in Florida), it is still my home unit, they have hooks ups and it is cheap to stay at.
Protagonist is dead on in his description of what a massive hurricane is like. Regardless of where she makes landfall, Irma is going to devastate Fl. A 200 hundred mile wide tornado won't leave much room to hide in.
I plan on leaving Thursday morning at sunrise but I will be watching all day today and if I start to think it is time to go, then it is time to go. I will be traveling with my 82 year old Mom and my two furkids anyone is welcome to join me under one with one caveat, either lead, follow or get out of my way. PM me if you are going my way.
Heading up there as well. Leaving Orlando early Thursday morning. Look for a black f250 towing a 30 with NJ plates. That's me. With any luck we will be drinking beers (or beverage of choice) together Thursday night. Drive safely.

Btw, I'm at Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake and it's being evacuated by 3:00 Friday. They are closing up.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:39 AM   #95
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Up at 4:00, just reading the news and popped over to see the latest news. Scott, I will look for you in Helen.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #96
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Up at 4:00, just reading the news and popped over to see the latest news. Scott, I will look for you in Helen.
Great. Safe travels. I woke at 4 as well. With the traffic I won't make Helen tonight. Likely stopping at atlanta motor speedway. Still about 3 hours away from there.

Overall traffic hasn't been horrible. Just some bad spots.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #97
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Stay safe everyone.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #98
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just got off the phone with a buddy who has the eye slated to go right over the house in a couple of days. He's staying, but not at all looking forward to the next week. Glad I'm up here and not down there.

Still got lots of beer on tap

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Just got off the phone with a buddy who has the eye slated to go right over the house in a couple of days. He's staying, but not at all looking forward to the next week. Glad I'm up here and not down there.

Still got lots of beer on tap

Bob
Bob:

Tell your buddy when the eye is overhead, if it passes over him, to go outside - noise but usually not a breath or air, no wind at all and again usually bright blue sky. I've experienced a number, Camille the most amazing as it was dead of night and we looked up to see bright stars in the sky, but then the back wall hit us with winds in the opposite direction.

Bud
Old 09-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #100
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
10 hours drive time and 400 miles later. Atlanta Motor Speedway*

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170907_175827.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	294290

* there are a number of rigs in the full hookup sites paying $20 per night. We are staying one night so are in the non-hookup location. Alone. I'm the only cheap bastard I guess.