Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Ugh...

I'm in Daytona Beach for work until Friday morning when I'm scheduled/booked to fly out of Orlando. I live within Austin and though we just got a good amount of rain with Harvey, I'm still skittish and wondering how smooth our getting home will be.
My thoughts are with the folks down on the islands, though I'd rather not get trapped here.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #42
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have been trying to find a place to over night on my way to the North Georgia mountains all day. all RV parks are booked already. I am leaving very early Thursday morning and was hoping to find a place to rest along 75 for Thursday night. I am currently in Titusville. really didn't want to drive all the way from Titusville to Helen, GA in one day but it looks like I won't have a choice.
Are you going to Helen, GA because that's where you want to be or because you don't think it's safe farther south?

Still trying to figure out how far north/west I should go...
Old 09-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Just looked at the latest info (9/5/2017, 6pm EST) on Irma. Presently a Cat5, with hurricane-force winds extending 60 miles from the center and tropical storm winds extending 175 miles from the center.

If it helps people make up their minds between bugging out and hunkering down, think of Irma as a 12-mile-wide EF3 tornado inside an EF2 tornado inside a 120-mile-wide EF1 tornado inside a 350-mile-wide EF0 tornado, that will last for days. Because that's basically what it is! You've seen pictures of the devastation an EF3 tornado leaves behind, and they're gone in an hour and are only a mile wide at most.

When Katrina was bearing down on the Gulf Coast— in the dark ages before I owned an Airstream— the satellite image showed that the storm filled the entire Gulf. In my ignorance, I was planning to hunker down. I turned on CNN (or was it Fox? I forget), and the meteorologist likened Katrina to a 200-mile-wide EF3 tornado. Not quite accurate, because based on wind speed the tornado-inside-a-tornado-inside-a-tornado description is more accurate. But the comparison is what convinced me to bug out instead, which I did with no preparation at all on the spur of the moment. And I'm glad I did. I grew up in Southwest Oklahoma, and the idea of a 200-mile-wide tornado scared the crap out of me!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #44
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Are you going to Helen, GA because that's where you want to be or because you don't think it's safe farther south?
Oh, Top of Georgia Airstream Park? Heck of a good idea. Maybe I'll caravan with you, kendrick.l.j!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Call me crazy, but watching the spaghetti models from noon, 5 pm and 11 pm, do I detect a slight trend to the east?
Hurricanes are not perfectly shaped storms. If it's heading north the most dangerous winds and the most rain will be on the NE side. Thats because of the counterclockwise rotation and north movement, winds on the east side are added to the motion, where as on the west side they are subtracted.
I hope it moves east enough that it stays in the Atlantic.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 AM   #46
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Going to Top of Georgia Airstream Park because I am familiar with it, I do think it is far enough North to be safe (certainly safer than staying anywhere in Florida), it is still my home unit, they have hooks ups and it is cheap to stay at.
Protagonist is dead on in his description of what a massive hurricane is like. Regardless of where she makes landfall, Irma is going to devastate Fl. A 200 hundred mile wide tornado won't leave much room to hide in.
I plan on leaving Thursday morning at sunrise but I will be watching all day today and if I start to think it is time to go, then it is time to go. I will be traveling with my 82 year old Mom and my two furkids anyone is welcome to join me under one with one caveat, either lead, follow or get out of my way. PM me if you are going my way.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:17 AM   #47
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I plan on leaving Thursday morning at sunrise but I will be watching all day today and if I start to think it is time to go, then it is time to go.
Is that to avoid traffic on Friday? I'm just a guy from NJ trying to figure this out. We are leaving for sure no later than Friday morning.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
ScottinNJ: Just a thought to consider. Many are evacuating due to the recent Harvey landing and subsequent devastation. Therefore, the later one goes, the more likely there will be excessively heavy traffic as well as potential for service stations and even truck stops running short of fuel. Therefore, again my thoughts, the prudent who have made the decision to leave FL might want to consider Thursday as a better option than later. One does not want to be sitting on an interstate if the storm comes your way, nor run out of fuel and be stranded on the side of the road.

Good luck and be safe.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Call me crazy, but watching the spaghetti models from noon, 5 pm and 11 pm, do I detect a slight trend to the east?
Hurricanes are not perfectly shaped storms. If it's heading north the most dangerous winds and the most rain will be on the NE side. Thats because of the counterclockwise rotation and north movement, winds on the east side are added to the motion, where as on the west side they are subtracted.
I hope it moves east enough that it stays in the Atlantic.
In my personal opinion, you are way overthinking this . . .

"Go north young man, go north!" [without a trailer]

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Here is a FORECAST image I just picked up off one of the feeds I monitor. This is now the highly probable path of IRMA as agreed upon by the two big computer forecasts - European and US. When these two sources come together they are more often accurate than not. So, East coast of FL and further north have some planning and possible evacuations to consider, strongly. This is NOT FACT, its a computer generated "guess" based on so many factors in the atmosphere that we as humans would find it difficult to process. But, what this does mean is missing Cuba, continued very strong and dangerous. Be careful.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IRMA Forecast 090617.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	294150  
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
After seeing what happened with Harvey, I would be headed north now hoping to avoid bad traffic and be able to find gas. Good luck to all and safe travels.
WBAC #5932
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm in Tampa, and we are staying put. We live in an area that would likely face mandatory evacuation in the event of a direct hit. We'll either head on to my parent's place or the trailer depending on when/where it hits if we had to. Going on the road in this situation is not ideal either.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #53
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Is that to avoid traffic on Friday? I'm just a guy from NJ trying to figure this out. We are leaving for sure no later than Friday morning.
Leave Thursday, you won't get any sleep Thursday night anyway.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #54
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Leave Thursday, you won't get any sleep Thursday night anyway.
Just cancelled my stay for Thursday night. We are out of here Thursday morning.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #55
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Just cancelled my stay for Thursday night. We are out of here Thursday morning.
God speed, you drive slow & safe.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #56
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I'm in Tampa, and we are staying put. We live in an area that would likely face mandatory evacuation in the event of a direct hit. We'll either head on to my parent's place or the trailer depending on when/where it hits if we had to. Going on the road in this situation is not ideal either.
I disagree. Being on the road early and getting far away is ideal. I don't know where your parents' place is, or your trailer either, but waiting for the predicted strike zone to firm up before going anywhere is recklessly foolish, or foolishly reckless, in my opinion. Given the size and strength of the storm, even if it goes up the east coast of Florida the west coast of Florida is in for a rough time, and vice versa. Unless the predicted path shifts east or west by at least the entire radius of the storm— call it 200 miles in round numbers— it's best to at least get off the peninsula altogether.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #57

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are in the western Florida Panhandle right on the coast. We are watching Irma very closely. As of this morning's reports, it would appear most likely that Irma will make a turn to the north and go up the east coast of Florida. Most of our family is in the Jacksonville area. Many of them are now planning to come over here. If the storm comes into the Gulf of Mexico and heads to the panhandle, we plan to take Lucy and head out. Depending on the storm's path, we may head east to Jacksonville, but are ready to hook up and go. Fred, the truck, is full of fuel and has a 400 mile range,

We are prepared Lucy is ready to travel with food and provisions on board. Even if we stay here, Lucy will be utilized for living accommodations.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Don't wait this is not your usual hurricane !

If your in Florida, now is the time to head northwest about 800 miles.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Seattle , Washington
Waiting to see means you'll be one of those cars at a standstill on the highway. So ask yourself, where do you want to spend Friday. Idling on the highway or relaxing someplace north?
sidburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #60
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
John Donne: Poems "For whom the bell tolls"

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

Not the time or place to be a bell tapper.

Bell Tapper – One who is habitually a few minutes late, especially when relieving the watch.