Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The following sites permit watching Irma as she approaches the NE Caribbean islands:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/h5-loop-avn.html
http://www.intellicast.org/Global/Sa...t&animate=true
https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/atlantic

The basic wind speed and atmospheric pressure data for Antigua and Barbuda:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/ag/codrington
http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/TAPA.html
http://www.antiguamet.com/

Right now winds are N to NE at 10-16 MPH, for the record.

Map of area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...!4d-61.8175207

St. Thomas airport weather would be the next available stop with good data IMO:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/vi/saint-thomas
https://www.google.com/search?q=st+t...utf-8&oe=utf-8
[click on Wind tab on right]

Good luck to all.

Peter

Old 09-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

Just my luck, I'm scheduled to pick up the new 26 in South Florida this Friday. Rest assured, I'm watching like a hawk.

Hi

Picking up a trailer takes a while. The run through takes several hours. Getting hitches set up and checked out is another hour or three. Getting there at 8 AM *might* get you out mid afternoon.

Going through all this is stressful. You want to be focused on the details. You also need to be able to say, "let's repair that detail before I pull out".

Watching over your shoulder for a hurricane is also stressful. Getting on the road with a bazillion others headed the same direction is not much fun. Pulling a new trailer is always exciting for the first couple hours ...

Not sure *where* in south Florida the AS is at. Right now, anywhere in south Florida makes this an iffy combo for Friday and a nightmare for Saturday. Models are just a guess. Trying to cut things close based on a guess ... yikes ....

Either move it up to Thursday (which may be impossible) or push it out ....

Yes, a bit off topic, but it's the same sort of "bug out or shelter?" plan a lot of people should be considering right now. You *know* what those roads going north are going to look like later in the week.

Bob

Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just updated:
Cat 5 winds, but it seems to have slowed down a bit, so it might still be around Puerto Rico on Friday.
I was in Miami working the day before Andrew hit. It was a beautiful day. Without the benefits of satellite images, no one would know to get out.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Going through all this is stressful. You want to be focused on the details. You also need to be able to say, "let's repair that detail before I pull out".

Watching over your shoulder for a hurricane is also stressful. Getting on the road with a bazillion others headed the same direction is not much fun. Pulling a new trailer is always exciting for the first couple hours ...

Not sure *where* in south Florida the AS is at. Right now, anywhere in south Florida makes this an iffy combo for Friday and a nightmare for Saturday. Models are just a guess. Trying to cut things close based on a guess ... yikes ....

Either move it up to Thursday (which may be impossible) or push it out ....
I feel the stress right now. Friday might still be okay. (It's in Ft. Meyers on the FL west coast). I might see if they can be ready on Thursday. I sent an e-mail. I'm sure they want to close on it. (and get paid)
My worst nightmare is it gets damaged before I take possession. Then what? Warranty? No.

Another concern is if my insurance company will write a new policy with a storm bearing down. I have quotes, and today I'll see if they're still good.
I have covered storage in a secure facility in Tampa. I'd have to move it 125 miles. I'm sure it's safer there than on a dealer lot.
Why me? Why couldn't it be a sunny week?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I feel the stress right now. Friday might still be okay. (It's in Ft. Meyers on the FL west coast). I might see if they can be ready on Thursday. I sent an e-mail. I'm sure they want to close on it. (and get paid)
My worst nightmare is it gets damaged before I take possession. Then what? Warranty? No.

Another concern is if my insurance company will write a new policy with a storm bearing down. I have quotes, and today I'll see if they're still good.
I have covered storage in a secure facility in Tampa. I'd have to move it 125 miles. I'm sure it's safer there than on a dealer lot.
Why me? Why couldn't it be a sunny week?
I am confused a bit, not unusual, do you own the trailer paid for and docs signed? Not sure how you bought it without insurance, we cannot where we live. At any rate if you don't own it, leave it and see what happens. If you do, try to insure it and see if you can get it to covered storage in Tampa. That's my opinion.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Just an FYI to those living or vacationing in the Keys or on an Island near where the storm is now reported to hit.

As I've mentioned I was right smack dab in the middle of Hurricane Camille, a monster Cat 5. Bridges were damaged, several had sections knocked out and it took months to get them back open, fortunately they were over bays so there was a long work around, if I remember 20+ miles detours. But, in the Keys some of those spans could be damaged and then engineers would have to certify their safety etc, you know the drill.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I'm sure they want to close on it. (and get paid)
My worst nightmare is it gets damaged before I take possession.
That's no nightmare at all. Until you pay them and take possession, it's still their trailer, not yours. The worst that could happen to you is that the one you were waiting for gets totaled and you have to wait a little longer to get a replacement.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Totally agree with Pro - if you don't own it, don't worry about it. What is - is.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's no nightmare at all. Until you pay them and take possession, it's still their trailer, not yours. The worst that could happen to you is that the one you were waiting for gets totaled and you have to wait a little longer to get a replacement.
What he said !

What's the big nemesis of an Airstream ... HAIL !
What comes with a hurricane besides rip roaring wind and flying junk ?

Wait to purchase after the storm .

If it gets damaged on the lot it's not your problem. Just wait for the next trailer.

If you own it and it gets damaged then that's your problem !
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Now it's a moot point.
No one is selling insurance for trailers in Florida until the storm passes.
So although it might be safer in my covered storage yard, I'm not towing it with no insurance.
I may be gutsy, but a new trailer, new hitch, and new brake controller, all untested seems like insanity in questionable weather.
I spoke with the dealership, and they might close Friday, and said they'd talk to me in a week or so.
I've done everything I can do.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Now it's a moot point.
No one is selling insurance for trailers in Florida until the storm passes.
So although it might be safer in my covered storage yard, I'm not towing it with no insurance.
I may be gutsy, but a new trailer, new hitch, and new brake controller, all untested seems like insanity in questionable weather.
I spoke with the dealership, and they might close Friday, and said they'd talk to me in a week or so.
I've done everything I can do.
Hi

Sounds like a good plan. Even 125 miles in fine weather is a no-go without insurance (regardless of legalities) to me. One less thing to worry about for now.

Bob
Old 09-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
So although it might be safer in my covered storage yard
That's debatable, too. A building that collapses onto a trailer will do as much damage as the trailer being in the open. Don't know what wind force your building was designed for…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
. . . have you considered delaying your acceptance of the AS until after Irma passes?

This would put the risk of physical damage on the dealer.
. . .
And ditto to recent comments. Dealing with your disappointment is the biggest hurdle. Please don't let any impatience creep in here . . .

No way would I try to get the trailer this week, if it were mine.

Head north, or well inland to higher ground, and don't look back, sooner rather than later. By Friday or Saturday, southern Florida could be a parking lot IMO. If Irma weakens, deal with it in a week.

Irma could eclipse all previous hurricanes in damaging the entire peninsula of southern FL !!!

Best wishes and good luck,

Peter
Old 09-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Right now Fort Meyers up to Tampa does not look like a real good place to be on Monday .... Still way to early to make that call though.

Bob