Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm sure they want to close on it. (and get paid)
My worst nightmare is it gets damaged before I take possession.
That's no nightmare at all. Until you pay them and take possession, it's still their trailer, not yours. The worst that could happen to you is that the one you were waiting for gets totaled and you have to wait a little longer to get a replacement.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Totally agree with Pro - if you don't own it, don't worry about it. What is - is.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's no nightmare at all. Until you pay them and take possession, it's still their trailer, not yours. The worst that could happen to you is that the one you were waiting for gets totaled and you have to wait a little longer to get a replacement.
What he said !

What's the big nemesis of an Airstream ... HAIL !
What comes with a hurricane besides rip roaring wind and flying junk ?

Wait to purchase after the storm .

If it gets damaged on the lot it's not your problem. Just wait for the next trailer.

If you own it and it gets damaged then that's your problem !

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Now it's a moot point.
No one is selling insurance for trailers in Florida until the storm passes.
So although it might be safer in my covered storage yard, I'm not towing it with no insurance.
I may be gutsy, but a new trailer, new hitch, and new brake controller, all untested seems like insanity in questionable weather.
I spoke with the dealership, and they might close Friday, and said they'd talk to me in a week or so.
I've done everything I can do.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Now it's a moot point.
No one is selling insurance for trailers in Florida until the storm passes.
So although it might be safer in my covered storage yard, I'm not towing it with no insurance.
I may be gutsy, but a new trailer, new hitch, and new brake controller, all untested seems like insanity in questionable weather.
I spoke with the dealership, and they might close Friday, and said they'd talk to me in a week or so.
I've done everything I can do.
Hi

Sounds like a good plan. Even 125 miles in fine weather is a no-go without insurance (regardless of legalities) to me. One less thing to worry about for now.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
So although it might be safer in my covered storage yard
That's debatable, too. A building that collapses onto a trailer will do as much damage as the trailer being in the open. Don't know what wind force your building was designed for…
Old 09-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
. . . have you considered delaying your acceptance of the AS until after Irma passes?

This would put the risk of physical damage on the dealer.
. . .
And ditto to recent comments. Dealing with your disappointment is the biggest hurdle. Please don't let any impatience creep in here . . .

No way would I try to get the trailer this week, if it were mine.

Head north, or well inland to higher ground, and don't look back, sooner rather than later. By Friday or Saturday, southern Florida could be a parking lot IMO. If Irma weakens, deal with it in a week.

Irma could eclipse all previous hurricanes in damaging the entire peninsula of southern FL !!!

Best wishes and good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Right now Fort Meyers up to Tampa does not look like a real good place to be on Monday .... Still way to early to make that call though.

Bob
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Don't know what wind force your building was designed for…
120 mph. (and it's inland by 40 miles)
It's not mine per se. I rent a spot and it's got massive steel beams supporting the roof. Concrete floors. But, even if I got it there safely and later there was an accident, or fire, I'd be uninsured. No thanks.

At this point, the best scenario was if Irma kept going west.
But I don't wish it on anyone.
Right now the prediction is the center will hit Key West at 8am Sunday morning.
Remember, the cat 5 winds only extend out maybe 20 miles from the eye. Any landfall scrubs off wind speed. Let's see what Puerto Rico, Haiti and the Dominican republic, and Cuba do to it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #30

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Right now Fort Meyers up to Tampa does not look like a real good place to be on Monday .... Still way to early to make that call though.
Too early to decide to stay. Just the right time to decide to go.

If the thought "I wonder if I should bug out?" even crosses your mind, then you should bug out. Maybe not right away, but in plenty of time since you can start preparing to bug out now that you've wondered about it.

My thinking is that unless one provides emergency services and needs to stick around to help others, it's best to plan well ahead to be long gone; if one can't be part of the solution then at least don't become part of the problem.

Especially if Irma heads north along the Florida peninsula, people in south Florida have a long way to go to get to safety, and it could take 2 or 3 days on the road to get out of the path.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Just left Costco in Jacksonville an hour ago- no water, batteries, or shopping carts! People learned from last year... Thank you all for links to the storm track!
Trying to think of where to evacuate with Airstream- hard to gauge right now!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1981.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	294081
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #32

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
Trying to think of where to evacuate with Airstream- hard to gauge right now!
Given the latest predictions, northwest of you is good. Maybe DeSoto State Park in Alabama? It's 450 miles from you, straight up I-75 so you can put a lot of miles behind you in a hurry, and it's both well inland and at a higher elevation, both pluses for an evacuation site. Plus it's a beautiful campground. I was there last year for a few days.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
By the looks of it next week is not a good week to be travelling from Central Florida to South Carolina. So the vacation I have been planning for months is getting cancelled.

Here's hoping it was for nothing...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Go north, go north, go way north"

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The news right now is talking about east coast / west coast being a tossup. I'm having a hard time "seeing" the east coast track. West coast looks more likely. Even if it *is* a west coast path, this thing is big. I don't think that lets the eastern part of the peninsula completely off the hook. If this thing runs up the west coast, it's going to be a mess over a wide area for quite a while ....

Bob
Old 09-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #36
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I'm in orlando with my last night scheduled for Thursday. Am I going to be in parking lot trying to leave Friday morning? I will get up and out very early if I have to.

Next stop is near Daytona beach, but that's obviously not happening. May just go to Georgia.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Scott, We're all in the same boat. I would leave before Friday- this weekend will be a parking lot on the highways. Supplies are short in Jacksonville- Home Depot has sent plywood, generators, etc. to Houston.

We are hoping for a western track, but just heard a news report that it could hit the Keys and come straight up the center of the state.

Thank you Protag and all for recommendations. Last year Gov. Scott closed all state parks very early in anticipation of Hurricane Matthew. We found a spot in a private campground and were thankful for the outcome.

We're currently coordinating our disaster plan with family members (have a 6-day old granddaughter in Tallahassee). The unpredictability of these storms and the subsequent devastation is fresh in our minds. Following the models closely.
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I'm in orlando with my last night scheduled for Thursday. Am I going to be in parking lot trying to leave Friday morning? I will get up and out very early if I have to.

Next stop is near Daytona beach, but that's obviously not happening. May just go to Georgia.
Hi

If you don't *have* to be in Florida, head somewhere else. Since there are a lot of others heading out as well .... the sooner the better. In a couple days, the path forecast for Sunday / Monday should have a bit more substance in it. As that happens a *lot* more people will likely be heading out.

Bob
Old 09-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #39
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have been trying to find a place to over night on my way to the North Georgia mountains all day. all RV parks are booked already. I am leaving very early Thursday morning and was hoping to find a place to rest along 75 for Thursday night. I am currently in Titusville. really didn't want to drive all the way from Titusville to Helen, GA in one day but it looks like I won't have a choice.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have been trying to find a place to over night on my way to the North Georgia mountains all day. all RV parks are booked already. I am leaving very early Thursday morning and was hoping to find a place to rest along 75 for Thursday night. I am currently in Titusville. really didn't want to drive all the way from Titusville to Helen, GA in one day but it looks like I won't have a choice.
Resting at Walmart, is better than not resting at all... Be safe my friends. Irma's going to be another doosey.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote