Old 09-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #169
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Human caused climate change? That's all been disproven. Just Mother Nature telling us who is boss.
Balderdash. Nonsense. And just plain silly.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #170
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
History of Major Hurricanes refutes the "human caused" or "human contributed" false premise and hysteria.
You need to distinguish between events that are human caused, and events that are more frequent, and of higher severity, due to human causes. Strawmen are easy to knock down.

It is the deniers of science that are getting hysterical.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #171
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I think if I were the ships captain or the owner of the ships they would pull out tomorrow morning. These ships are pictures taken the day after Hurricane Camille hit the MS Gulf Coast. The crews were on board during the storm, trying to get out of Gulfport MS and left too late. After months of trying to pull them off with Ocean tugs, digging deep trenches they ended up taking them apart for scrap. Someone put the Name Hurricane Camille on the tug. If I remember correctly this boat was about 150 yards inland.
Wow, those photos brought back some memories. I've lived here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast all my life. Camille was one of three Category 5 hurricanes to hit the U.S. It set the bar for where is "safe" here on the Mississippi coast. I've said that Camille killed more people in Katrina than in Camille because many people said "if water didn't get here in Camille, I'll be fine". They were wrong during Katrina. Katrina hit as a Cat 3, but was larger and slower, so the storm surge was higher than in Camille. So, from personal experience since I was here for both Camille and Katrina, it's not always about what category the storm is when it hits. BTW, the tug boat in the photo that was washed ashore on the the north side of U.S. Hwy 90 during Camille (and converted to a gift shop) was destroyed during Katrina.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Kneeling Curve

Real Scientific data free from politics. The Kneeling curve shows CO2 measurements since the 1950's. We are raising CO2 levels. Is is a problem? At some point it will be. The more CO2 the less solar energy is reflected back to space and the more will be absorbed. This is physics not politics. Actually, it is thermodynamics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeling_Curve

Perry
Old 09-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #173
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
A request to keep this thread clear of discussion unrelated to Irma and our fellow AS owners dealing with evacuation and emergency needs.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #174
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
A request to keep this thread clear of discussion unrelated to Irma and our fellow AS owners dealing with evacuation and emergency needs.
Thank you! It honestly does not matter whether Hurricane Irma was caused by God, Mother Nature, Satan, global warming, witchcraft, voodoo, or Donald Trump. All that matters is that the storm is coming, and those in its path have to choose between bugging out or hunkering down. Either way, there's a lot of preparation involved and decisions to be made.

For most threads on AirForums, some degree of thread drift is inevitable. But for this one thread, the only drift that matters is the storm track. At least until the storm is over and everyone affected has checked in.

So I'll add my own request to Lara Me's. If you can't contribute anything directly related to the protection of life and/or property in the event of a hurricane and its aftermath, please post elsewhere.

(Now reviewing my own past posts on this thread, to see if I contributed to the problem instead of contributing to solutions…)
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea View Post
Wow, those photos brought back some memories. I've lived here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast all my life. Camille was one of three Category 5 hurricanes to hit the U.S. It set the bar for where is "safe" here on the Mississippi coast. I've said that Camille killed more people in Katrina than in Camille because many people said "if water didn't get here in Camille, I'll be fine". They were wrong during Katrina. Katrina hit as a Cat 3, but was larger and slower, so the storm surge was higher than in Camille. So, from personal experience since I was here for both Camille and Katrina, it's not always about what category the storm is when it hits. BTW, the tug boat in the photo that was washed ashore on the the north side of U.S. Hwy 90 during Camille (and converted to a gift shop) was destroyed during Katrina.
Wow, thanks for posting this. We rented an apartment right on HWY 90. Our landlord at the time was a Civil Engineer and did most of the surveys for Beitesta in Cuba and told us that we had no concerns that the old house we lived in, five apartments was 28' above sea level. But, we left to a friends house, just over the "dunes" from the water and had to move at 2:00AM due to trees coming thru the house. When we returned to our apartment our landlord was correct, water washed up to the bricks supporting the house but not the house. I was discharged in 1972 and I've only been back to a meeting once since and that was prior Katrina.

Thanks again, I've got many pictures from the day after and that following week.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #176
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We're starting to get calls from friends in Florida who were in the "I'm getting out" mode and now are in the "I'm stuck and can't get out" mode. I'd suggest that anybody still planning on an exit from Florida spend a bit of time working out a route to do so.

Bob
Old 09-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #177
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
All the years I've been a weather junkie, including college degree IT never ceases to amaze and still confounds the real experts. The latest on what this storm will "probably" do when it leaves FL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irma into the South East.png
Views:	49
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	294410  
Old 09-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
I understand few want to address or think about this but two separate individuals have already been arrested an hour ago in two different FL towns for looting of boarded up businesses. Be careful. Situational awareness is important.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #179
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bumping

If you're going thru SC headed north on I-95, I-26 or I-77 I can put you in my driveway, water and 120V. We're near Darlington SC.

PM me.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
For a storm like Irma, it is wise to throw out pre-conceived notions about the accuracy of various models in the past, and be open to all possible tracks, including these IMO:

Please note that one track goes right over NYC, as well as one over New Orleans.

Never say never!

Good luck to all.

Peter

http://www.weathernerds.org/tc_guida...NS.png?8695221
Old 09-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #181
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Dothan Alabama

I found my safeport at the Peanut Festival Ground in Dothan Al. Three point hookups still available! Plus room for 300 or more dry camping spots. Irma's path takes it directly over my house. I'm still in the cone here but on the west edge and far inland. If Irma starts heading this way, I could move again. But hopefully I'll ride it out here.

Come join us here. Lots of room.
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #182
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
For a storm like Irma, it is wise to throw out pre-conceived notions about the accuracy of various models in the past, and be open to all possible tracks:

Never say never!
I disagree. Going back to spaghetti model data from September 3rd doesn't help. And therefore we can say "Never." Unless you can turn back the clock and start over, that is.

Any model data that doesn't include the present position of Irma is of no consequence for predicting where the storm will go next.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote