Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #155
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
My uncle lives in The Villages near Orlando. He said they are expecting 100mph winds and he's staying. My aunt's brother was ordered to evacuate from the Tampa area and is with them. Florida is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't what to live there.
It's not so bad. It could be tornadoes or wild fires or earthquakes. I'd rather have hurricanes with days of advance notice. And I've lived in Florida for 30 years. It's worth it.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #156
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Looking at the devastation wrought on the BVI and Dutch West Indies it still amazes me that homes, condo's and other buildings are built with wood and use construction technics that obviously do not stand up.

So this begs the question.....what structure or construction should these people be using? Ideas....

Here's mine suggestion, with some changes of course. Imagine a lot smaller; the back side of the home is just an armoured garage door....Could do the same on the window side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	earth-homes-art-g02tnleq-1earth-homes-2-jpg.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	294392  

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Looking at the devastation wrought on the BVI and Dutch West Indies . . .
. . .
The detailed photos from all the Virgin Islands are just starting to be available, and "devastation" pretty much covers it. Further east, Barbuda is basically gone . . . and rendered unfit for human habitation.

Folks, in case you haven't been taking Irma seriously, or have been thinking you can figure out where she is going to track, or how intense she might be further north, well . . .

We may be in a "New Normal" of human-caused climate change.

Harvey -- Irma - Jose -- line 'em up and let 'em rip . . . until everyone "gets it" . . .

It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature -- CO2 emissions and all that.

Denial is a wide river to cross!

Old 09-09-2017, 03:43 AM   #158
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
It could be tornadoes or wild fires or earthquakes. I'd rather have hurricanes with days of advance notice.
Hurricanes have been known to spawn tornadoes inside of them. Adding insult to injury, as it were…

But it's true for me in the New Orleans metro area, too. There is nowhere in the United States that is completely immune to natural disasters. Wildfires. Droughts. Flash floods. Blizzards. Earthquakes. Volcanoes. Tornadoes. Dust storms. Hailstorms. Hurricanes. If I had to pick a part of the country to live in based solely on the disasters that impact the area, I'd pick an area affected by hurricanes. Especially today when the National Hurricane Center has so many excellent tools available for tracking and predicting the storms and information on a given storm is almost instantly available by going online.

Besides, now that I own an Airstream and I'm retired, a hurricane is just an excuse to go camping far, far away. And having been through Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath, I no longer have any possessions at all that predate that storm and I'm not a homeowner, so I have no sentimental attachment to anything I own except my Airstream Interstate, my Honda toad, and my cat (the only things I own that have names: Kaiser, Mikado, and Sylvia). So I can evacuate and leave everything else behind if I have to, and I wouldn't mourn any of it if it's destroyed. I'd mourn paying the replacement costs for those things I replace (most of it isn't even worth insuring and some of it isn't worth replacing), but not the loss of the items themselves.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Downgraded to a category 4, at this point.

Stay safe, everyone.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Scott in NJ, spent the nite at AMS and will arrive at TOG later today, probably around 3. Gotta stop by a grocery store and pick up some real food instead of just emergency food.
Even though it's Saturday, traffic in metro Atl is still unusually heavy so I will take the back roads and although it will take longer to drive it will be much less stressful than using 75,285,85. Also, I have two little dogs and my mom with me and they all seem to need potty break way to often so it is easier to pull into a church parking lot using the back roads.
Thanks to all my friends here on the forum for your support and for checking on how things are going. I gotta say buying the Airstream and having new friends who really do care is awesome. Without a doubt this is the best group of people I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. Best life decision I have ever made. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:16 AM   #161
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If you're going thru SC headed north on I-95, I-26 or I-77 I can put you in my driveway, water and 120V. We're near Darlington SC.

PM me.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Some City , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Scott in NJ, spent the nite at AMS and will arrive at TOG later today, probably around 3. Gotta stop by a grocery store and pick up some real food instead of just emergency food.
Even though it's Saturday, traffic in metro Atl is still unusually heavy so I will take the back roads and although it will take longer to drive it will be much less stressful than using 75,285,85. Also, I have two little dogs and my mom with me and they all seem to need potty break way to often so it is easier to pull into a church parking lot using the back roads.
Thanks to all my friends here on the forum for your support and for checking on how things are going. I gotta say buying the Airstream and having new friends who really do care is awesome. Without a doubt this is the best group of people I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. Best life decision I have ever made. Thank you.
Slow and steady. No rush, predictions now show wind and rain in your part of GA for Monday night or Tuesday. Winds could be TS like, up to 74mph, but not likely. You'll be fine. Say high to Mom from Alice and Bud.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #163
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The detailed photos from all the Virgin Islands are just starting to be available, and "devastation" pretty much covers it. Further east, Barbuda is basically gone . . . and rendered unfit for human habitation.

Folks, in case you haven't been taking Irma seriously, or have been thinking you can figure out where she is going to track, or how intense she might be further north, well . . .

Harvey -- Irma - Jose -- line 'em up and let 'em rip . . . until everyone "gets it" . . .

Human caused climate change? That's all been disproven. Just Mother Nature telling us who is boss.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #164
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Drive safe. We took 285 and traffic wasn't bad. But I wouldn't say there were a lot of places that looked good for a pull-off if you have a large trailer.

We parked in the lower middle lot of TOG. The edges appear nicer but we are away from trees. Seems like folks will be moving to the middle so you may want to park here now and avoid having to move later.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #165
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yes, I would stay away from the creek on one side and also the mountain on the other. Middle section is best for quick getaway if necessary. Have fun, thr trail will be slippery.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #166
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Human caused climate change? That's all been disproven. Just Mother Nature telling us who is boss.
Yup, six billion humans and the Industrial Revolution have had no impact on our environment; none whatsoever............disproven by who? Donald Trump, Rush Limbaugh, Ted Cruz, no wait, Sarah Palin? Show me the evidence that this is not the case.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Some City , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

History of Major Hurricanes refutes the "human caused" or "human contributed" false premise and hysteria.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote