Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Dothan Alabama

I found my safeport at the Peanut Festival Ground in Dothan Al. Three point hookups still available! Plus room for 300 or more dry camping spots. Irma's path takes it directly over my house. I'm still in the cone here but on the west edge and far inland. If Irma starts heading this way, I could move again. But hopefully I'll ride it out here.

Come join us here. Lots of room.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #182
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
For a storm like Irma, it is wise to throw out pre-conceived notions about the accuracy of various models in the past, and be open to all possible tracks:

Never say never!
I disagree. Going back to spaghetti model data from September 3rd doesn't help. And therefore we can say "Never." Unless you can turn back the clock and start over, that is.

Any model data that doesn't include the present position of Irma is of no consequence for predicting where the storm will go next.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #183
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I actually had to scroll back through the messages to see what was the "best guess" when. Looks like the current estimate is roughly the same as the one four days ago. Slightly better news for Miami and a bit worse for Tampa than two days ago. For what ever reason I tend to watch the European models more closely than some of the others ...

Still very glad to be up here rather than down there. Come February (snow) or April (tornados) the story may be *very* different.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #184
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Couple things.

The Weather Channel just now reported that they expect this thing to be classed as a hurricane all the way into Georgia, then downgrade to a Tropical Storm somewhere in our state. Expect winds of 40 to 50 mph with gusts to 70 mph all the way to north Georgia. Kinda scary.

There is a website run by the Ga DOT called Georgia 511. It's supposed to give real time updates on the major roadways in the state. Information on that site right now seems to be very hit-n-miss. For example, the traffic cameras along I-75 and I-16 are showing very little traffic. News reports are saying those roads are packed right now. Just a heads-up.

Stay Safe.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I disagree. Going back to spaghetti model data from September 3rd doesn't help. And therefore we can say "Never." Unless you can turn back the clock and start over, that is.

Any model data that doesn't include the present position of Irma is of no consequence for predicting where the storm will go next.
. . .
Of course you are absolutely correct -- I did not realize that the image was old. Thank you for a quick correction.

Apologies to all for posting an incorrect and out-of-date forecast!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #186

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Human caused climate change? That's all been disproven. Just Mother Nature telling us who is boss.

[emoji106]
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Lots of Irma news coverage here on the westcoast of Canada. Saw a couple of Airstreams in the mass highway exodus; was wondering if they were forum members.

Anyone with an RV is "lucky" compared to those who have to hunker down in a public evacuation shelter.

Looks like Irma has been downgraded to Cat 3, but they say that does not diminish its danger.

Hope it does not claim any more casualties in its wrath.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #188
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Just out running errands around I-75 around McDonough, Ga on the SouthSide.

I-75 had heavy traffic but was moving at a good speed. The Toll lanes thru Henry County are free for the weekend/until further notice. Not sure if you can take a camper in the toll lanes, tho. I'll see if I can look it up.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #189
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

Looks like Irma has been downgraded to Cat 3, but they say that does not diminish its danger.

Hope it does not claim any more casualties in its wrath.
Hi

Best guess still seems to be that it runs back up to the high category 4 / barely 5 region after it crosses the warm water to get to Florida. Something above the 130 mph level appears to be in the projections for all of Sunday. It already is at the "lets stay indoors" point over part of the state.

Bob
Old 09-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #190
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I made to TOG just north of Helen, Ga. all in one piece. Briefly said hi to another forum members (Scott from NJ ) and ran into and old friend of mine. Very tried but safe (I hope ).
When I left Atlanta Motor Speedway there were still plenty of empty spots available and there is room for more here at TOG.
I stayed off the interstate and took 441 North and traffic was very light. The only drawback with using 441 is you do go through some smaller towns and you will encounter traffic signals but on the other hand it will give you places to pull in for food, gas, etc. the farther you are from the interstate the better the chances of finding gas, food, grocery store p, etc. Highway 19 north from the FL/GA line was extremely easy but you will have a couple of towns to pass through.
I realize this is probably not helpful and a little late but I have been driving and couldn't post traffic conditions but for anyone who is still trying to decide to drive north it is still possible but stay off I-75.
Thanks to all of you for your concern and support during a tough time. I must say it sure is nice to be surrounded by so many pretty Airstreams. Hopefully I will have a home to go back to.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #191
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I found my safeport at the Peanut Festival Ground in Dothan Al. Three point hookups still available! Plus room for 300 or more dry camping spots. Irma's path takes it directly over my house. I'm still in the cone here but on the west edge and far inland. If Irma starts heading this way, I could move again. But hopefully I'll ride it out here.

Come join us here. Lots of room.
Lots of room is right! We live somewhat near your refuge and thought I'd post this additional information in the event anyone is still seeking out available RV parking in this area: 500 RV spaces available. The National Peanut Festival Fairgrounds will offer a portion of its 200 acre Fairgrounds for RV evacuees. We have complimentary grassy areas for 400 self-contained RV’s (no power/sewer/water) and 100 additional spaces that will include water/sewer/50amp power hookups. RV evacuees seeking a temporary RV space, should enter the Fairgrounds located at 5622 US Hwy 231 South @ Festival Drive Dothan Al 36301. The Fairground is 3 Miles South of Dothan Alabama on Hwy 231 in Houston County. (31 miles from Florida I-10.)

www.NationalPeanutFestival.com

https://www.facebook.com/PeanutFestival/

*Dial 211 locally for area info. If you are from Florida and need to reach 2-1-1 info services in Alabama, dial 1-888-421-1266 if dialing 2-1-1 does not work from your phone.
*Fairground office 334-793-4323

National Peanut Festival
5622 S Oates Street
Dothan, AL 36301
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Plan A/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Anyone who has ever watched action/adventure movies knows that Plan A never works! Save yourself some time and trouble by discarding Plan A before you try it, and make Plan B your first plan.
We started out with Plan A, tried the Waze App, then switched to Plan B. Waze guided us off of I-95, through Savannah, then back onto I-95.

We were familiar with "Blue Highways"and took 321 and 301 to I-26 which put us back on Plan A. By then it was late and traffic was down. 14 hours after starting what is normally an 11-12 hour drive we were in our NC driveway albeit at 3 AM since it took us until 1PM to finish up securing the house and leave.

We will be here until the all clear is issued for our house and power is on.

Thanks to all for your concern and best wishes for a good outcome for those in Irma's path.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #193
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

15 feet storm surge. I don't care if that's on top of high tide or from "sea level". (The TV is busy tossing around the numbers without being very specific.) That's a lot of water if you are in the wrong place. Back in the 70's I worked at the "twin" of a Florida plant part of which was about 10' above mean high tide. We all spent a lot of time watching numbers and making plans.

11PM, it's still at 933 mb and 120 MPH. Moving at 6 MPH ... hope that speeds up ....

Bob
Old 09-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #194
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are out and about looking for WiFi, Comcast and a couple others seem to have thrown open many (possibly all) of their WiFi hotspots in parts of Florida and Georgia. Yes, I realize the silly side of using the internet to let people know how to get on the internet ... sorry about that !!

Bob
Old 09-10-2017, 04:49 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Bob, it appears that the storm will hit Tampa at high tide with what two reports indicate could be a 12' title surge. The surge will be on top of high tide and then any wave action will be on top of that. TV reporting although important for the public is entertainment and ratings driven, which is why I do not watch for weather. If they are not informing people that the storm surge is so many feet above whatever tide the area is at and then waves on top of that they are actually IMO doing a dis-service.

Laurie:

Glad you made it. My only suggestion is if you are under a tree you might consider moving as I suspect you will be looking at some winds for a period coming up.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #196
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
it is just before 10 a.m. and Irma has just made landfall in cudjoe key. we are in Pembroke pines and power has been out since around 6:30. I knew I should have made coffee before we lost power. the winds are howling outside. we are battened down and ready. we had a small leak where wind drive water above the flashing and down thru a high hat light, but no problems. my neighbor texted me that I had at least 1 tree down, but I have not ventured outside to check. our max winds are forecasted for around noon at around 70 mph. we are sitting it the dark just waiting for it to pass. 2 kids in Tampa and they are prepared and 2 here on East coast who are luke us, just waiting it out. this is what Floridians do. we plan, we prepare and we know the forecast. we don't fixate on the tv as they only hype the worst case scenario and scare the crap out if everyone. Florida has had hurricanes since the dawn of time and has been shaped by mother nature's force. we have bays and shallows and dunes and barrier islands that all serve a purpose. we have learned from Andrew, and Charlie and Frances and Jeanne and we help one another, just as they did in Texas. in my neighborhood, all the neighbors where helping one another prepare. we have had ample warning, which makes a huge difference. it us much different than 1926 and 1935 when there was very little warning. the keys were evacuated early, as where most coastal areas. we, as Floridians know how to deal with storms, just as northerners know how to deal with blizzards
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #197
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Checking in from Jax-rain, light wind. Power off in our neck of the woods from 0915-1012. I hurried and made a pot of coffee! Daughter here hasn't lost power. Son in Tallahassee prepared. Showers on tap before lights go off again! Mayor just giving notice to shelter in place before bridges close later today. St. Augustine getting pounded with flooding...
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #198
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I must admit to a massive safety sin. I seem to have lived through it. I *have* pulled out the Coleman stove / backpack stove to make coffee when the power was out. I also can quite distinctly remember my parents "discussing" the same thing when I was maybe 4 years old. Obviously doing this is some sort of a genetic defect. Yes, these days it's a propane powered gizmo. Back then it was full of gasoline ...

Now don't do this at home children .... hmmm .... cup is empty, time to push the button for another cup ....

=====

Boy is this storm moving slow at the moment .... not good ....

Bob
Old 09-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I-75 North to I-285 West to I-20 West. I hear east Texas is nice this time of year. Once you get to I-20, it's only about a 12 hour drive.

Jim

East Texas is beautiful this week

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I must admit to a massive safety sin. I seem to have lived through it. I *have* pulled out the Coleman stove / backpack stove to make coffee when the power was out. I also can quite distinctly remember my parents "discussing" the same thing when I was maybe 4 years old. Obviously doing this is some sort of a genetic defect. Yes, these days it's a propane powered gizmo. Back then it was full of gasoline ...

Now don't do this at home children .... hmmm .... cup is empty, time to push the button for another cup ....

=====

Boy is this storm moving slow at the moment .... not good ....

Bob

My parents did the same thing the morning after the April 10, 1979 tornado in Wichita Falls, Tx. I walked down the driveway of there roofless house expecting the worst and when I turned the corner there was Dad at 7 a.m. making coffee on the Coleman

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote