Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #61
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I trust you are not commenting about my friends 5th wheel, nor their house.......
People should consider contributing in any way to the relief effort, instead of making uncalled statements about peoples misfortunes!!
For the record, I made a sizeable contribution to Austin pets alive to help with their tremendous effort of taking in many misplaced animals from the coastal areas.
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/donate/
I've no idea about people you may know there. And I'd imagine I've spent a great deal more time than you in Rockport. I lived less than an hour away the best part of a decade, and looked to buy property there a number of times.

The problem? Too high a price in decrepit neighborhoods. Of which there are far too many. The salt air rapidly erodes AND many substandard structures are built in that area. AND permanent Rvpark residents with RVs past end of life.

There are a few nice areas. Very nice. And a great many no would would call nice.

It is, or was, the nicest place on the Gulf in the Coastal Bend. Especially for RVers looking to overwinter.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Greetings from the other side, well, the other side of Harvey. We did well even though it looked for a bit like we were on an island. We stayed and not for any of the reasons given from people that were not here to see the conditions. We saw every bit of the postings about Spring Creek and so much tv reporting til our eyes almost crossed. Our neighborhood was never even in the consideration to evacuate and we had internet and electricity the entire time. Granted it is not over yet but even as it rained steady all day today the water receded back down to the creek as the day wore on, doesn't make sense, does it. By Wednesday morning this should all be a bad memory for us but others will have total devastation for months to come. Thanks for all your thoughts and truly do not mean to sound sarcastic but this is one of many we have been through starting with Hurricane Carla back in the 60's. With each storm, you learn.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:24 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, and glad you are OK! When I later reviewed the news coverage from May of 2016, when the previous Spring Creek record high had been, it seemed likely that Tomball had been through this before and would come out alright.

Prayers for all the folks who have had to leave their homes . . . certain neighborhoods are a right mess . . .

Peter

PS -- Glad your family got out just fine, Hittenstiehl.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:32 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A nice story about the "Cajun Navy", come to help with rescues...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hu...-flood-n796991

Maggie
Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A levy in Brazoria County has apparently breached:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-we...m-12003388.php

. . . with a twitter message saying to "get out now" -- yikes! [see the 9:50 AM update]

A newer article: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-we...y-12142307.php
Old 08-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just got an email blast that US Carburetion is doing a live Q&A for anyone who has questions about their tri-fuel generators, as part of the Harvey effort. We have a Yamaha 1,000 watt unit from them, and it works great off the AS low-pressure propane port, as well as a standard 20-pound BBQ tank.

A nice public service to provide this live session IMO.

Prayers for Texas . . .

Peter
Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
OTRA15, Kudos to you for keeping everyone informed. Texasvette, Hittenstiele & others, Glad everyone is O.K. Peterh-Airstreamer, My hats off to you for donating to displaced animals. Is there a link to this charity? This kind of teamwork... will make America great again. Protag, If this rain heads east...the leveys...not good. Be safe my friends.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #68
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
OTRA15, Kudos to you for keeping everyone informed. Texasvette, Hittenstiele & others, Glad everyone is O.K. Peterh-Airstreamer, My hats off to you for donating to displaced animals. Is there a link to this charity? This kind of teamwork... will make America great again. Protag, If this rain heads east...the leveys...not good. Be safe my friends.

Once Houston human society can operate again they will be overwhelmed:
https://www.houstonhumane.org/(Give)...neral-donation
Austin is waiting for the roads to open to receive even more animals. They have already provided shelter for over 330 animals.
Every donation, no matter how small, will go a long way:
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurr...y-evacuations/
Please help if you can!

Edit:right after I made this post I made another donation to Austin Pets Alive, just to do something and not just watch the horrible news.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Flew into SA on Sunday night expecting to drive a rented pickup to Katy. SA was in good shape but rainy and the airport had power and computer outages. You were able to get from SA to Katy on Monday morning but by noon the police had shut down I10 both in and out. It is still impassable but photos from employees, friends and business associates paint a very dismal picture for the average joe even in northern Houston areas. It's not the water or wind that is the problem, it's the standing water that has nowhere to go. By all means donate but look on the charity navigator website for fairly objective reviews. The housing crisis will be real as will the insurance process for cars and such due to hurricane and flooding deductibles. People simply won't be able to get to work for lack of cars that either aren't covered or whose insurance value creates a gap to replacement cost they can't cover. Sandy was bad but this is far worse.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Once Houston human society can operate again they will be overwhelmed:
https://www.houstonhumane.org/(Give)...neral-donation
Austin is waiting for the roads to open to receive even more animals. They have already provided shelter for over 330 animals.
Every donation, no matter how small, will go a long way:
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurr...y-evacuations/
Please help if you can!

Edit:right after I made this post I made another donation to Austin Pets Alive, just to do something and not just watch the horrible news.
Thanks Peter...following your lead A pet is what makes a house a home. Like small children, they greet you with enthusiasm when you get home...priceless
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nothing like the unconditional love you get from a dog. We have 4 that were rescued in some manner from bad situations. I'm still not sure who rescued who...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2213.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	293543
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Fortunately the rain is abating in Houston and moving east a bit:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ea...r-radar?play=1

. . . but the water level station on the Brazos River to the west still shows a record crest which is not expected until next Sunday or Monday!

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...hgx&gage=wcbt2

The Spring Creek water level stations, linked in earlier posts, are returning toward more normal levels.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #73
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
water water everywhere...

Been holed up in my temporary digs for a couple days on the NE corner of Houston, couldn't leave the neighborhood if I wanted to. As long as it doesn't rise any further it'll be aight...
Shades of Tropical Storm Allison, was here for that too...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And now it's hitting Louisiana.

Soooo much destruction, so many displaced persons and animals, it's hard to watch.

One can make a Red Cross donation using PayPal, if you like...

https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurr...FY9CNwod0GwBzw

Maggie
Old 08-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Oh my word! I didn't even know I was holding my breath literally until this morning. The storm has moved on but we really can't celebrate because we know what other people are gonna have to go through. For us it was a calm storm, no huge wind, no howling just the ever increasing water. No gonna lie, we did not have to worry about the safety of an Airstream YET, so that was one less worry for us. We have slowly started the conversation of no remaining in our beautiful neighborhood with trees so tall you have to lean all the way back to see the top of them and our great neighbors but we have decided that the worry is just too much these days. Our blessing is we can sell this house and say with a clear conscience that it has not flooding during our ownership. That means a lot to us. Please be kind to your Texas and now Louisiana members as they work through these times with dealing with their damages and emotions. I hope soon I can be one of the happy people announcing a purchase of the Airstream of my dreams.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #76
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Another charity that you can contribute to is the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Agency.

www.namb.net/send-relief/disaster-relief/hurricane-harvey
Old 08-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #77
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasvette View Post
Oh my word! I didn't even know I was holding my breath literally until this morning. The storm has moved on but we really can't celebrate because we know what other people are gonna have to go through. For us it was a calm storm, no huge wind, no howling just the ever increasing water. No gonna lie, we did not have to worry about the safety of an Airstream YET, so that was one less worry for us. We have slowly started the conversation of no remaining in our beautiful neighborhood with trees so tall you have to lean all the way back to see the top of them and our great neighbors but we have decided that the worry is just too much these days. Our blessing is we can sell this house and say with a clear conscience that it has not flooding during our ownership. That means a lot to us. Please be kind to your Texas and now Louisiana members as they work through these times with dealing with their damages and emotions. I hope soon I can be one of the happy people announcing a purchase of the Airstream of my dreams.
Hi

I know how this sounds. I can't come up with a "nice" way to say it. I've lived in areas where this sort of thing happened. After the event, real estate prices take a dive. You will likely not get the price you might expect for your home. Plan accordingly. They don't stay down forever, so in some cases waiting is the best plan.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We stored our removed rear bed/dinette unit and cushions in a Public Storage in Katy TX.

Given the incredible impact on the whole area, we are not too worried about losing it. I'm sure it's a loss at this point.

We were going to head back through Texas on our way to FL in a month or two but will probably make other plans. Likely just swing through Katy on I10, remove our items to take to the trash and close out our storage unit.

Thoughts and prayers to all impacted in the area.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Our thought's and prayer's for all in Texas and Louisiana. Two of our favorite areas. Esp. the coastal areas.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
We stored our removed rear bed/dinette unit and cushions in a Public Storage in Katy TX.
. . .
Have you confirmed the flooding at your unit with the management there -- maybe you lucked out?

Hoping so . . .

If you were flooded out, however, you might want to authorize them to break the lock, and throw everything out? In two months, the mold could get into the building itself, and you could be held liable for serious remediation costs IMO.

Peter