Old 08-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #57
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Rockport is a nice place. But full of substandard structures. And those fifth wheels likely hadn't been anywhere in years.
I trust you are not commenting about my friends 5th wheel, nor their house.......
People should consider contributing in any way to the relief effort, instead of making uncalled statements about peoples misfortunes!!
For the record, I made a sizeable contribution to Austin pets alive to help with their tremendous effort of taking in many misplaced animals from the coastal areas.
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/donate/

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
I'm wishing the best for your friends Peter, and for all of those in the vast areas so heavily impacted by this extreme storm and its aftermath.

How are conditions there in the Austin area? Hopefully there is enough to elevation in the hill country to lift y'all out of the flooding to the south.

It is so good to see the helpful spirits of the people of Texas rising to help out those in the most impacted areas!
Those lucky enough to clear of the worst conditions will no doubt be hosting and assisting displaced folks for some time to come.

My trip thru Texas heading to Fla. is coming up shortly. At this time I'm looking at more northern routes to avoid adding to the strain of the recovery that will be playing out in the south part of the state.

This sort of disaster really showcases the nature of the people affected and so far Texans are demonstrating the helpful, neighborly and self reliant spirits that bring light and hope to a dark challenging situation.

Cheers Richard

Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #59
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
How are conditions there in the Austin area? Hopefully there is enough to elevation in the hill country to lift y'all out of the flooding to the south.
Unfortunately, elevation alone doesn't necessarily help with rain-induced flooding. If there is heavy rain upstream, streambank flooding is still a possibility, no matter how high you are above sea level.

I'm reminded of last year's WBCCI International Rally in Lewisburg, WV. West Virginia has the highest average elevation of any state east of the Mississippi, yet many streams flooded due to abnormally heavy rainfall just about the time we arrived for the rally.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Thsnks guys, Our family members left when recommend and got to safety.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #61
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I trust you are not commenting about my friends 5th wheel, nor their house.......
People should consider contributing in any way to the relief effort, instead of making uncalled statements about peoples misfortunes!!
For the record, I made a sizeable contribution to Austin pets alive to help with their tremendous effort of taking in many misplaced animals from the coastal areas.
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/donate/
I've no idea about people you may know there. And I'd imagine I've spent a great deal more time than you in Rockport. I lived less than an hour away the best part of a decade, and looked to buy property there a number of times.

The problem? Too high a price in decrepit neighborhoods. Of which there are far too many. The salt air rapidly erodes AND many substandard structures are built in that area. AND permanent Rvpark residents with RVs past end of life.

There are a few nice areas. Very nice. And a great many no would would call nice.

It is, or was, the nicest place on the Gulf in the Coastal Bend. Especially for RVers looking to overwinter.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Greetings from the other side, well, the other side of Harvey. We did well even though it looked for a bit like we were on an island. We stayed and not for any of the reasons given from people that were not here to see the conditions. We saw every bit of the postings about Spring Creek and so much tv reporting til our eyes almost crossed. Our neighborhood was never even in the consideration to evacuate and we had internet and electricity the entire time. Granted it is not over yet but even as it rained steady all day today the water receded back down to the creek as the day wore on, doesn't make sense, does it. By Wednesday morning this should all be a bad memory for us but others will have total devastation for months to come. Thanks for all your thoughts and truly do not mean to sound sarcastic but this is one of many we have been through starting with Hurricane Carla back in the 60's. With each storm, you learn.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update, and glad you are OK! When I later reviewed the news coverage from May of 2016, when the previous Spring Creek record high had been, it seemed likely that Tomball had been through this before and would come out alright.

Prayers for all the folks who have had to leave their homes . . . certain neighborhoods are a right mess . . .

Peter

PS -- Glad your family got out just fine, Hittenstiehl.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A nice story about the "Cajun Navy", come to help with rescues...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hu...-flood-n796991

Maggie
Old 08-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A levy in Brazoria County has apparently breached:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-we...m-12003388.php

. . . with a twitter message saying to "get out now" -- yikes! [see the 9:50 AM update]

A newer article: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-we...y-12142307.php
Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Just got an email blast that US Carburetion is doing a live Q&A for anyone who has questions about their tri-fuel generators, as part of the Harvey effort. We have a Yamaha 1,000 watt unit from them, and it works great off the AS low-pressure propane port, as well as a standard 20-pound BBQ tank.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
OTRA15, Kudos to you for keeping everyone informed. Texasvette, Hittenstiele & others, Glad everyone is O.K. Peterh-Airstreamer, My hats off to you for donating to displaced animals. Is there a link to this charity? This kind of teamwork... will make America great again. Protag, If this rain heads east...the leveys...not good. Be safe my friends.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #68
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
OTRA15, Kudos to you for keeping everyone informed. Texasvette, Hittenstiele & others, Glad everyone is O.K. Peterh-Airstreamer, My hats off to you for donating to displaced animals. Is there a link to this charity? This kind of teamwork... will make America great again. Protag, If this rain heads east...the leveys...not good. Be safe my friends.

Once Houston human society can operate again they will be overwhelmed:
https://www.houstonhumane.org/(Give)...neral-donation
Austin is waiting for the roads to open to receive even more animals. They have already provided shelter for over 330 animals.
Every donation, no matter how small, will go a long way:
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurr...y-evacuations/
Please help if you can!

Edit:right after I made this post I made another donation to Austin Pets Alive, just to do something and not just watch the horrible news.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
Flew into SA on Sunday night expecting to drive a rented pickup to Katy. SA was in good shape but rainy and the airport had power and computer outages. You were able to get from SA to Katy on Monday morning but by noon the police had shut down I10 both in and out. It is still impassable but photos from employees, friends and business associates paint a very dismal picture for the average joe even in northern Houston areas. It's not the water or wind that is the problem, it's the standing water that has nowhere to go. By all means donate but look on the charity navigator website for fairly objective reviews. The housing crisis will be real as will the insurance process for cars and such due to hurricane and flooding deductibles. People simply won't be able to get to work for lack of cars that either aren't covered or whose insurance value creates a gap to replacement cost they can't cover. Sandy was bad but this is far worse.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Once Houston human society can operate again they will be overwhelmed:
https://www.houstonhumane.org/(Give)...neral-donation
Austin is waiting for the roads to open to receive even more animals. They have already provided shelter for over 330 animals.
Every donation, no matter how small, will go a long way:
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurr...y-evacuations/
Please help if you can!

Edit:right after I made this post I made another donation to Austin Pets Alive, just to do something and not just watch the horrible news.
Thanks Peter...following your lead A pet is what makes a house a home. Like small children, they greet you with enthusiasm when you get home...priceless