Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Hurricane Fay

Well, looks like Central Fla. is right in her path. Our AS is under a canopy tarp. It provides great protection from the elements. Like the hail we might see. I am worried about the wind gusts. Don't really want to see the canopy take off like a sail. So, tonight I'll secure it it with plenty of tie-downs. There a couple of old Oaks that could crunch the AS if they were to topple. That would take some really strong winds though along with drenching, root weakening, rains. Or, a spin-off tornado like we had in 2005. Worst case scenario I can hitchup and hit the road. Funny, I'd feel worse if the AS were damaged than I would if the house took a hit.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We gathered up all the stuff that is sitting outside Bertha, and put it in either the truck or the van. I also retracted the awnings, and tomorrow I'll lower the antenna. I was told we don't close our shop for tropical storms, and I am not allowed to leave.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Where are you at Terry?
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It looks like Fay can not make up her mind as to where she wants to go. MSN weather still shows her hitting land neat the Fort Myers area, but who knows. Even though this is not a major hurricane, please be careful. Our thoughts are with you guys.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
Where are you at Terry?
We are about 20 miles North of Tampa Bay. just to one side of center of the cone of death.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Here I am at the Land Yacht Harbor Harbor in Melbourne - just waiting out the storm. Who Knows?????????? - the Weather Person Knows?????????????
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Here I am at the Land Yacht Harbor Harbor in Melbourne - just waiting out the storm. Who Knows?????????? - the Weather Person Knows?????????????
The Shadow knows--but he isn't talking...
This time tomorrow we'll know more, just in time to be blown away, or not.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Any of you going I-10 and west let me know - I have some power and water for ya here......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Just got back from the gulf on Saturday...glad to be home!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
I just rolled up My awning. It shouldn't be too bad me thinks. I'm in a zone 5, which is some what higher then others. About 1.5 miles off the coast.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My family endured Hurricane Wilma in '05 while we were visiting Florida on vacation and Hurricanes are nothing to take for granted. Even though this is supposed a weak or mild hurricane, I'd still treat it with respect. You never know where it's going or how much strength it will pick up.

But then again, this is no news to the people who live in Florida and deal with this kind of thing every Summer. My prayers are with you all in this and future tropical storms and hurricanes.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Clancy boy - that is certainly nice of you to do. I am not going anywhere, but I will bet someone will take you up on your offer.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
Raj Mahal

1990 29' Excella
lethbridge , Alberta
I hope none of you folks' Silver Palaces learn to fly!!
ShikariJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I'm curious: can you tell me where the heck is Land Yacht Harbor? Is that near the old Port-O-Call? That's where my grandparents used to reside 5 months out of the year --- ages ago. That place looks like a ghost town now - what ashame. My g-folks probably rolled in their graves when it was *abandoned*....

I'm one week into owning my '73 Overlander and have her parked at Tropical Haven in Melbourne. Everything's locked up and the jacks are in place - she's neatly tucked between two 5th wheelers. Hope she'll sail through --- well, not literally!

I'm at KSC now --- rumor is that they'll evacuate at noon tomorrow and all day on Wednesday. I'll be surprised if that really happens.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Miami , Florida
I'm born and raised here in Miami. We just picked up our 2008 Bambi this February. Now with this storm coming, I could use any kind of advise! We're old pro's when it comes to the house and vehicles. But the Bambi would break my heart! My husband and I both work for a large South Florida Health Care Orginization and may not have much more time.

Thanks!
MamaTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Our thoughts go out to Florida.. come on out to Calif.. we only have fires and earthquakes! Stay safe.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good luck, folks. But don't assume that the storm is not big enough to worry about. We got whacked by what was projected to be a weak cat1 (Isabel). Fill your fresh water and watch out for trees. Or just pick up an leave if you can.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTRC View Post
I'm born and raised here in Miami. We just picked up our 2008 Bambi this February. Now with this storm coming, I could use any kind of advise! We're old pro's when it comes to the house and vehicles. But the Bambi would break my heart! My husband and I both work for a large South Florida Health Care Orginization and may not have much more time.

Thanks!
Does your large SFHCO have a parking garage - check the overhead height and see if she will fit - A U shaped 2 story building would be great if you can get her in the inside. Be carefull of buildings with rock covered roof - tough to see from the ground - they can really break some windows - don't ask me how I know this.......

Lastly - just leave - it's always best. Job require you to stay? Well, only you can decide......

Best of luck to all of you.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Here she comes!!

Believe it or not, One of the reasons I have my Airstream is so I can leave in front of our summer storms. The 250 is in the shop getting ready for the balloon fiesta so guess I'll just dig in. The only good thing is these storms supply Florida with fresh water and we are really kinda dependant on them.

It seems to me that most areas in the country are experiencing greater incident of catastrophic weather. Could it be a result of weather forecasters need for drama? better and more detailed information? The west is burning down, the central is ravaged by tornado's, and the Atlantic and Gulf coast has hurricanes. I think the granddaddy of all was a hurricane in 1917? that hit South Texas.

I will offer this! The weather is far kinder to us than man is to himself. I Think everyday of men and women protecting us in those far way places I can't even pronounce.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I'm curious: can you tell me where the heck is Land Yacht Harbor? Is that near the old Port-O-Call? That's where my grandparents used to reside 5 months out of the year --- ages ago. That place looks like a ghost town now - what ashame. My g-folks probably rolled in their graves when it was *abandoned*....

I'm one week into owning my '73 Overlander and have her parked at Tropical Haven in Melbourne. Everything's locked up and the jacks are in place - she's neatly tucked between two 5th wheelers. Hope she'll sail through --- well, not literally!

I'm at KSC now --- rumor is that they'll evacuate at noon tomorrow and all day on Wednesday. I'll be surprised if that really happens.
Our Sovereign was formerly owned by the Callahans from Port O' Call. I even found one of their old name badges.