Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Miami , Florida
I'm born and raised here in Miami. We just picked up our 2008 Bambi this February. Now with this storm coming, I could use any kind of advise! We're old pro's when it comes to the house and vehicles. But the Bambi would break my heart! My husband and I both work for a large South Florida Health Care Orginization and may not have much more time.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Our thoughts go out to Florida.. come on out to Calif.. we only have fires and earthquakes! Stay safe.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good luck, folks. But don't assume that the storm is not big enough to worry about. We got whacked by what was projected to be a weak cat1 (Isabel). Fill your fresh water and watch out for trees. Or just pick up an leave if you can.

Pat
Old 08-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTRC View Post
I'm born and raised here in Miami. We just picked up our 2008 Bambi this February. Now with this storm coming, I could use any kind of advise! We're old pro's when it comes to the house and vehicles. But the Bambi would break my heart! My husband and I both work for a large South Florida Health Care Orginization and may not have much more time.

Thanks!
Does your large SFHCO have a parking garage - check the overhead height and see if she will fit - A U shaped 2 story building would be great if you can get her in the inside. Be carefull of buildings with rock covered roof - tough to see from the ground - they can really break some windows - don't ask me how I know this.......

Lastly - just leave - it's always best. Job require you to stay? Well, only you can decide......

Best of luck to all of you.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Here she comes!!

Believe it or not, One of the reasons I have my Airstream is so I can leave in front of our summer storms. The 250 is in the shop getting ready for the balloon fiesta so guess I'll just dig in. The only good thing is these storms supply Florida with fresh water and we are really kinda dependant on them.

It seems to me that most areas in the country are experiencing greater incident of catastrophic weather. Could it be a result of weather forecasters need for drama? better and more detailed information? The west is burning down, the central is ravaged by tornado's, and the Atlantic and Gulf coast has hurricanes. I think the granddaddy of all was a hurricane in 1917? that hit South Texas.

I will offer this! The weather is far kinder to us than man is to himself. I Think everyday of men and women protecting us in those far way places I can't even pronounce.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I'm curious: can you tell me where the heck is Land Yacht Harbor? Is that near the old Port-O-Call? That's where my grandparents used to reside 5 months out of the year --- ages ago. That place looks like a ghost town now - what ashame. My g-folks probably rolled in their graves when it was *abandoned*....

I'm one week into owning my '73 Overlander and have her parked at Tropical Haven in Melbourne. Everything's locked up and the jacks are in place - she's neatly tucked between two 5th wheelers. Hope she'll sail through --- well, not literally!

I'm at KSC now --- rumor is that they'll evacuate at noon tomorrow and all day on Wednesday. I'll be surprised if that really happens.
Our Sovereign was formerly owned by the Callahans from Port O' Call. I even found one of their old name badges.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
What a tropical system looks like in an RV park

Here are a few pictures of Bertha and environs. The other Airstream in the picture is a new neighbor that moved in a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fay 2008 001.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	65855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fay 2008 002.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	65856  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fay 2008 003.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	65857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fay 2008 004.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	65858  

Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Looks like you got all your wings tucked in!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post
Looks like you got all your wings tucked in!
Yup. I've even got hurricane straps holding our little outbuilding in place. The guy across from us thinks he doesn't need to retract his awning, because he has it tied down (note the orange straps holding it). I let him know if his awning flies off, and hits Bertha or our vehicles, he won't be able to run fast enough or far enough to get away from me.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Y'all know the similarity between a hurricane, a tornado, and a redneck divorce?

You're going to lose the trailer in all three...

Thank you, I'll be here all week...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Miami , Florida
Our Bambi is on the North side of our property where we use to keep the boat. Lots of shelter from the winds with the angle of my neighbor's house. She's locked down and secured. We're hoping for th best.

There is so much drama here in Miami when it comes to storms. We do have a few lovely garages, but there's a policy against bringing in boats, travel trailers or the likes.

Personally understand about rock covered roofs from Hurricane Andrew!! Shingle roofs are quite a bit like sandpaper on car finishes.. But nothing like what the beautiful terra cotta roofs can do. Luckily all my neighbors have had new roofs installed since the 2005 storms.

Good Luck to All!!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Yup. I've even got hurricane straps holding our little outbuilding in place. The guy across from us thinks he doesn't need to retract his awning, because he has it tied down (note the orange straps holding it). I let him know if his awning flies off, and hits Bertha or our vehicles, he won't be able to run fast enough or far enough to get away from me.

Is that out bldg over a deep hole in the ground? I've actually seen them with two seats - can't really imagine that in use
Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post
Is that out bldg over a deep hole in the ground? I've actually seen them with two seats - can't really imagine that in use
Uhh, that's outbuilding, not outhouse.... And I've lived where we've had them... using one could be an adventure.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Terry, and everyone else, hang in there and keep us posted. I know that most of you have seen worse, and recently, but still...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours this evening.

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote